Anyone install the ALPINE X009-Ram to replace the factory uconnect nav systems?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KCAZOFAI, Mar 1, 2016.

1. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

All makes sense. The only Rebel in my Neighborhood was with the 5.0 without nav; so i bought it:). So i am looking for an upgrade from the boring old satellite radio only. I appreciate you comments. If i wait long enough other options should come along or the price should drop on this considerably. I am looking to upgrade before the summer because, while the gas is still cheap, me and my wife are gonna drive cross country with it. Could use the nav to assist in our travels for when the cell signal craps out.
    Thanks again

2. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

3. Icho

Icho Junior Member

This one is only $450 with free shipping. You can probably install yourself. Worst case the dealer may have to activate or program something once installed but I would think that should only be an hour labor. Navigation may be another cost but I am pretty sure it is navigation ready. I didn't get navigation for mine because I couldn't justify the extra $500-600 or whatever it was.

4. johnj

johnj Rebel Guru

[QUOTE="KCAZOFAI, post: 8235, member: 424"Could use the nav to assist in our travels for when the cell signal craps out.
    Thanks again[/QUOTE]
    You can get a current model GPS like a Garmin for $70-$80 with all your maps. It's GPS-only, doesn't need cell tower at all. That's a hell of a lot cheaper option and you move it to other vehicles later if you wish. Just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ARALPH30

ARALPH30 Rebel Moderator
    Staff Member

I like it but not enough to buy it for that much. I'm pretty satisfied with the setup I've got right now. Except for not being to adjust the Ac/ for both sides. That's the one downside.

6. texas_rebel

texas_rebel Rebel Moderator
    Staff Member

All would have been easier to just get a truck with 8.4 IMO

• Like Like x 1
  7. lasani1121

lasani1121 Grasshopper

That is a real nice unit. I am not technical installer but I have always dropped money (wasted) on audio video installs in each of my many cars. It would be the very first thing I would do when I bought cars. My two cents - for you this would be a big upgrade if you decide to move forward with it. The 8.4 uconnect is a great unit. Though it could have been a lot less cumbersome. What I mean is that when you look at the screen a lot seems to be going on. Aftermarket units are usually more refined with their functionality.

However, with this particular unit and the difference it will make for you vs the 5" inch screen will be a world of the difference. But with any aftermarket install you need to confirm if the unit is plug and play, do you need adapters or cut the factory wires to connect to the factory harness. Whenever you start cutting into the factory setup your warranty is automatically voided. Now if something is to go wrong, the dealerships default response will be to say the problem is coming from the aftermarket install. Albeit they didn't diagnose anything but it will be their default response. I have had experience with this time and time again. If it is a simple replacement by removing the current head unit, perhaps cut the molding only to fit the new head unit and most importantly it connects to the existing wiring harness then you should be fine.

The cost in my opinion is not your real issue. It is cheap compartively. Any simple upgrade to audio installation at a reputable installer will be at minimum $2,500. My worry is how it will impact your warranty.

Also I would wait until the factory unit with Apple AirPlay comes out. I would simply upgrade to that factory unit and hope it's plug and play with the factory harness.

Hope I am making sense here.

#17 lasani1121, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Circuitjc

Circuitjc Senior Member

If you replace the head unit what happens to any on screen environmental controls? Do the aftermarket use the CANBUS system to interface with the rest of the vehicle still? I've always been curious since vehicle systems have become more and more integrated.

At least the Rebel/1500 has physical buttons to control the majority of environmental functions but how would you know what the temperature is set to? Things like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

Thank you so so much for your valuable input and insight. I understood completely your stance and it truly made sense.

10. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

this unit is plug and play. It will do everything the factory unit does but with easy and clarity; including the rear back up camera