Anyone install the ALPINE X009-Ram to replace the factory uconnect nav systems?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KCAZOFAI, Mar 1, 2016.

1. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

2. johnj

johnj Rebel Guru

I scanned through its entire manual and found nothing on climate control. I don't think it includes any at all. It's strictly an audio system with video support for an auxiliary video screen in the back seat. You don't get to see climate controls at all. It apparently doesn't use CANBUS because it doesn't need to.

Also, the dash in the ad has an extra climate control knob that's not in my Rebel with Uconnect 8.4. Far right, it's the air flow control for windshield / face / foot. In the 8.4 system that's entirely controlled from the touch screen. So you would lose that function.

3. KCAZOFAI

KCAZOFAI Grasshopper

Gotcha, I do not have any of the fancy stuff with my 5.0 system. So either way I don't think it affects me. Still on the fence about this unit.

4. johnj

johnj Rebel Guru

Hmmm. So that video you posted as I was posting my last post seems to indicate that the round knobs below it are included with it? How much of the dash controls does it replace? Or is it just showing how it works with them? I didn't see anything indicates on-screen that the airflow could be adjusted from there, so that third right-hand dial is a requirement. The manual didn't show any of that bit on climate control.

5. johnj

johnj Rebel Guru

Does your truck then have exactly the same 3 knobs shown in the ad?

6. Circuitjc

Circuitjc Senior Member

Watching that video it answers my questions. It must be using CANBUS to integrate into the climate controls. The screen they showed in the video for climate controls had everything the factory head unit would have.

I'm not surprised that the aftermarket has done this. They had to do something to stay relevant when most manufacturers have been integrating their systems into their vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Icho

Icho Junior Member

That is actually pretty awesome. Personally I am not into car audio anymore so it is not something that I would spend that kind of money on but I can definitely see people that are into it seeing the value in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. johnj

johnj Rebel Guru

Gotta agree. I'd rather spend the money on other toys like ATVs than car audio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. lasani1121

lasani1121 Grasshopper

KCazofia - that is good news for you then. I actually like it more than my 8.4 uconnect (look and feel). If it is plug and play then what I would do is speak with the service manager where you service your truck and just confirm with them what you are intending to do as it relates to the warranty of your truck.

Secondly, with the audio installer you need to confirm if every factory option on your truck carry over, specifically, the options you are currently able to run on your 5" screen (as circuitjc mentioned above)-- will it carry over to the new head unit. My knee jerk reaction is that not all will carry over. I am not certain as to what functions are available to you on the 5". I am assuming a lot less than the 8.4 uconnect but either way i think you will be getting a whole lot more functionality overall even if you end up losing one or few functions that come with the current head unit. Also confirm if the factory harness/wiring will not be touched at all.

At the end of the day, you will be really happy with the new head unit compared to the 5". The center console area will look a whole lot cleaner. You will enjoy looking at it but most importantly, you will gain a lot more functionality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lasani1121

lasani1121 Grasshopper

I found the following youtube video at mark 2:17 alpine displays the Ram 1500 install and how it functions. I really like it!

• Agree Agree x 1