Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new rebel tonight and on the way home noticed the lights from the cars behind me looked different on the right side than they do through the rear view mirror and the driver side mirror. Like it's not tinted. It's dark so i'll have to look at it tomorrow. Weird...

·
Registered
933 Posts
It may be an auto dimming mirror at fault, check the tint in the daytime, then the mirrors at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the window is fine. I wasn't aware that the side mirrors auto dim. If thats the case the one on the passenger side didn't auto dim like the rearview and drivers side mirror did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taking a look at the window sticker I see.

Luxury Group $695 LED Bed Lighting Power Heated Mirrors with Power Fold-Away Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror Exterior Mirrors with Courtesy Lamps Sun Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors Overhead Console with Garage Door Opener

It specifically say's "Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror" with no s on the end. Guess that's the way its supposed to work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It specifically say's "Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror" with no s on the end. Guess that's the way its supposed to work.
Haha....I noticed the same thing. Apparently the headlights shining in the passenger side mirror aren't as bright....cannot fix stupid. They really couldn't just add that feature to both mirrors?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The reason for the driver side mirror having the auto dimming feature and not the passenger is because of the way that the driver side mirror is angled. It is not to say that the mirrors are angled any different from eachother but rather the way the driver has them tilted. The driver side mirror is going to be (or rather should be) tilted/angled in a way so that it is virtually perpendicular to the driver and when the headlights are shined into the mirror it can cause the mirror to be completely blocked out by the headlight thus the auto dimming feature. Also cars are more apt to drive closer the the center line thus also blinding the driver if the mirror is not angled properly. It also has something to do with cars being required to pass on the right and saving the driver from being blinded by the headlight of the passing car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason for the driver side mirror having the auto dimming feature and not the passenger is because of the way that the driver side mirror is angled. It is not to say that the mirrors are angled any different from eachother but rather the way the driver has them tilted. The driver side mirror is going to be (or rather should be) tilted/angled in a way so that it is virtually perpendicular to the driver and when the headlights are shined into the mirror it can cause the mirror to be completely blocked out by the headlight thus the auto dimming feature. Also cars are more apt to drive closer the the center line thus also blinding the driver if the mirror is not angled properly. It also has something to do with cars being required to pass on the right and saving the driver from being blinded by the headlight of the passing car.
I'm think I'll just go with cheap on this one ;). In the early/mid 60s the passenger mirror was an 'option' and wasn't required. This new feature will end up standard everywhere (both sides) soon enough ;) Next up...auto dimming windshields because people's pupils are getting lazier and lazier ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.