Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply AWESOME!

This is the ONLY vehicle I have ever had that paints a smile on my face when I see it. I look forward to MANY years with her!

REVIEW:

Engine - More power than I need.
Transmission - still smooth as ever
Suspension - sturdy and quiet(my ford suspension made lots of sounds from the springs)
Stock Bed Cover - you get what you pay for. This was only a $500 option, so I didn't expect much. It already has a small tear from driving with it folded. The vinyl has also stretched- can be seen flapping in the wind and will probably cause an affect on gas mileage.
Interior - I will NEVER go back to leather!!!! I think Ryan Nagode, designer of the interior, is a genius for using vinyl seats! I was skeptical at first, but they are MUCH better than leather. If FCA plays it's cards right, I think they could make vinyl popular again. With the limitless color options, they can't go wrong.
Gas Mileage - decent. On a 17 hour road trip, loaded down w/ 3 passengers, I averaged 15.5 mpg. Empty, I can average 17 hwy/ 15 city at sea level in humid Houston, TX.

Now for the only negatives I could find....

Tires - happy with the quiet ride, but IMO they are NOT good in the rain. I don't care if the tread is on the seats, I'll probably seek a tire better suited for wet weather.

Oil Filter - The placement of the filter has to be the worst I've every seen. I do my own oil changes, so I endured a few bruises and lots sweat to replace the filter. First oil and filter change was done at 9,600 miles. Surprisingly, the oil was clean! Of course it was black(color changes the the first 100 miles), but it was very thin.

Overall, I'm very happy.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice review, curious why you change your own oil on a warranty truck? Convenience perhaps?
We got 4 "free" oil changes included in the sale and figure the time at the dealer would be similar to going to an outlet to purchase the items

Reactions: Chris

·
Registered
210 Posts
I noticed the same thing with our tires in the rain. I was sitting in traffic going up a hill (10mph) and traction control was kicking in. seemed to be loosing traction. I had my foot on the gas pedal ever so slightly. I was laughing to my self, thinking this is crazy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just passed the 10k mark. Drove from Texas to Washington and back. The Rebel was an incredible drive, through ice, snow & rain, no complaints except for the dirty truck.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Overall, I'm very happy.[/QUOTE]
Nice review, curious why you change your own oil on a warranty truck? Convenience perhaps?
We got 4 "free" oil changes included in the sale and figure the time at the dealer would be similar to going to an outlet to purchase the items
1. I didn't get any free oil changes. 2. I enjoy basic maintenance on the truck. 3. I had a local place change the oil in my last truck. They stripped the threads in the oil pan. 6 MONTHS later, they agreed to replace it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
1. I didn't get any free oil changes. 2. I enjoy basic maintenance on the truck. 3. I had a local place change the oil in my last truck. They stripped the threads in the oil pan. 6 MONTHS later, they agreed to replace it.
Makes sense

·
Registered
10 Posts
16MPG wow not bad. So far I'm averaging 13.6mpg. This is my third ram pickup. First was an 03 lone star edition. 50k no issues. Traded for a car. Mistake. Bought a Tacoma, after that. To small. Bought a 10 1500 lone star 70k no issues. Trade for a mustang GT. Fun but yup mistake now I'm in the rebel. And I have um 260 miles on it but I expect well over 200k miles in this truck. Dodge makes a great truck. I'm in San Antonio BTW. To bad about the tires slipping I haven't had that issue yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also agree with the tires in the rain. I'm creeping up in 30k and am hoping to get a couple hundred thousand out of it in the next few years.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Simply AWESOME!

This is the ONLY vehicle I have ever had that paints a smile on my face when I see it. I look forward to MANY years with her!

REVIEW:

Engine - More power than I need.
Transmission - still smooth as ever
Suspension - sturdy and quiet(my ford suspension made lots of sounds from the springs)
Stock Bed Cover - you get what you pay for. This was only a $500 option, so I didn't expect much. It already has a small tear from driving with it folded. The vinyl has also stretched- can be seen flapping in the wind and will probably cause an affect on gas mileage.
Interior - I will NEVER go back to leather!!!! I think Ryan Nagode, designer of the interior, is a genius for using vinyl seats! I was skeptical at first, but they are MUCH better than leather. If FCA plays it's cards right, I think they could make vinyl popular again. With the limitless color options, they can't go wrong.
Gas Mileage - decent. On a 17 hour road trip, loaded down w/ 3 passengers, I averaged 15.5 mpg. Empty, I can average 17 hwy/ 15 city at sea level in humid Houston, TX.

Now for the only negatives I could find....

Tires - happy with the quiet ride, but IMO they are NOT good in the rain. I don't care if the tread is on the seats, I'll probably seek a tire better suited for wet weather.

Oil Filter - The placement of the filter has to be the worst I've every seen. I do my own oil changes, so I endured a few bruises and lots sweat to replace the filter. First oil and filter change was done at 9,600 miles. Surprisingly, the oil was clean! Of course it was black(color changes the the first 100 miles), but it was very thin.

Overall, I'm very happy.
That's interesting , I haven't even looked to see where my oil filter is located. Is the oil conventional or synthetic?

·
Banned
248 Posts
Not sure but I think most stock oil is a synthetic blend. Whatever it was, I replaced it with full synthetic.
Can I ask what brand you use or what would you recommend I don't oil oil they say but everybody has a preference that you use a K and N oil filter or a Fram or STP are Pennzoil what are you guys all prefer

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really not loyal to a certain brand because I know a tad bit about the industry. For the most part, the name on the bottle doesn't mean jack squat. A lot of different brand/ formulas are produced by the same refineries and lube plants. The different batch formulas are so minimal in comparison.

I used Valvoline Synthetic this time because it was on sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts