Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for delivery on my Rebel. I have never owned a vehicle other than GM and I am used to the 12v power outlets always having power even when parked with no key in the ignition. I have noticed when I went on hunting trips with my friends that their Dodge and Toyota trucks cut off power to the 12v outlets when not running. Is that the case with the Rebel also and is so has anyone bypassed this somehow? I know it is minor issue and probably not even an issue to most but it is a real pain not being able to charge radios, flash lights, cameras, etc without the truck running.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The power is cut when the ignition switch is off.
Would be easy to bypass if required, i installed a 12v into my motorbike, personal choice whether you want it "live" or not

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gismo. I figured that. I'm not sure if I will want to mess with bypassing the factory outlets. I may consider adding a couple new ones if I find a nice spot that looks good and proper. I will have to wait and see when I get my truck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That the only thing that irritates me about the Rebel. Every car I ever owned had at least (1) that was active all the time. My 2014 Jeep JKU even has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm happy just to have one I didn't ha e to install myself

Q

·
0 Posts
That the only thing that irritates me about the Rebel. Every car I ever owned had at least (1) that was active all the time. My 2014 Jeep JKU even has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@BCT. I agree my present ram outlet is live all the time. One of the guys I work with wired an outlet in the bed of his ram from the battery thru a converter to assist in the installation. To the tailgate section of his truck and used a marine type outlet box.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
@BCT. I agree my present ram outlet is live all the time. One of the guys I work with wired an outlet in the bed of his ram from the battery thru a converter to assist in the installation. To the tailgate section of his truck and used a marine type outlet box.
I've done this too for a few people

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now that I have my Rebel I may have found a spot to add another outlet that has constant power. I haven't looked too hard since I just want to drive when I'm in it. I am very picky when it comes to adding things to a vehicle or really anything for that matter. It has to look like it is supposed to be there. I will have to look for a stock outlet at the dealership and hopefully it is not too much $$$$$

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed something similar to this on my motorbike
eBay

You just need to find somewhere suitable with sufficient space behind to accommodate the socket

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I installed something similar to this on my motorbike
eBay

You just need to find somewhere suitable with sufficient space behind to accommodate the socket
Good find

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
160 watt max sucks. I thought I was going to be able to use this for more than cell phones
? Cell phones only draw 1-2 amps even in fast charge mode. That's up to about 24W. I don't know of too many things that use more than about 40W that run on 12VDC. 160W would be over 13 amps, and that's a lot of current to be running steadily through the thin wires they put on those sockets. Any device that uses more than 150W would normally have its own dedicated wiring, anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
? Cell phones only draw 1-2 amps even in fast charge mode. That's up to about 24W. I don't know of too many things that use more than about 40W that run on 12VDC. 160W would be over 13 amps, and that's a lot of current to be running steadily through the thin wires they put on those sockets. Any device that uses more than 150W would normally have its own dedicated wiring, anyway.
Tried to use a bottle warmer for the mini me. Ended up taking it inside and plugging it into a wall outlet.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Tried to use a bottle warmer for the mini me. Ended up taking it inside and plugging it into a wall outlet.
That's odd. Most of those don't really draw all that much power. The Munchkin device, for example, is rated at 1.5A on the 12VDC (18W). Most of the mini-stoves that will warm up an entire meal to 300° only draw 10A (120W). What unit do you have? It sounds like you've got a portable welder. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's odd. Most of those don't really draw all that much power. The Munchkin device, for example, is rated at 1.5A on the 12VDC (18W). Most of the mini-stoves that will warm up an entire meal to 300° only draw 10A (120W). What unit do you have? It sounds like you've got a portable welder. :)
Munchkin Fast™ Bottle Warmer
Electrical Rating: Input voltage: 120V AC ~ 60Hz Wattage: 500W
bottom of page 6
http://www.munchkin.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/High-Speed-Bottle-Warmer.pdf

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Definitely not the same Munchkin unit I was examining. You reference 120 Volts AC, not 12 Volts DC. Massive difference. 500W at 120VAC is less than 5 Amps of current. But 500W at 12VDC is over 40 Amps.
This one clearly says it's for a car, and lists 12VDC as a power source... http://www.munchkin.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Travel-Bottle-Warmer.pdf

Are you sure you were trying to plug it into the 12V cigarette lighter? I am surprised it even had an adapter. There's none listed in the manual you linked. Most stuff for cigarette lighter adapters is designed for 10A max, typically 120-140W max. And most vehicles have them fused for 10A.

The device you linked looks to be for 120VAC only, not 12VDC. The inverter Ram provides is a small one. You can install a larger one easily. Here's an example. Amazon.com: BESTEK 1000W Power Inverter Dual AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter: Car Electronics

·
Registered
146 Posts
Definitely not the same Munchkin unit I was examining. You reference 120 Volts AC, not 12 Volts DC. Massive difference. 500W at 120VAC is less than 5 Amps of current. But 500W at 12VDC is over 40 Amps.
This one clearly says it's for a car, and lists 12VDC as a power source... http://www.munchkin.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Travel-Bottle-Warmer.pdf

Are you sure you were trying to plug it into the 12V cigarette lighter? I am surprised it even had an adapter. There's none listed in the manual you linked. Most stuff for cigarette lighter adapters is designed for 10A max, typically 120-140W max. And most vehicles have them fused for 10A.

The device you linked looks to be for 120VAC only, not 12VDC. The inverter Ram provides is a small one. You can install a larger one easily. Here's an example. Amazon.com: BESTEK 1000W Power Inverter Dual AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter: Car Electronics
The biggest problem was I didn't look up the power requirements for the fast warmer and was disappointing when it didn't work, then also disappointed when the inverter I have didn't work either. I probably should have looked for power draw on the warmer right away. I guess my hopes surpassed the design capabilities and intent of the power sources of the truck. I have memories of a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota having an AC jack that could run some tools and the thought of the 180 amp alternator in the rebel. This is just a case of me overlooking details and having big ideas that won't work.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Inverter? So you're definitely talking about the dash inverter outlet at 120VAC, not the 12VDC power the thread was actually about.

Yeah, you can get and install a more powerful inverter easily enough. You might also get a less powerful bottle warmer.

p.s. can't blame a dad for trying for the best for his kid. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts