Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to describe this sensation but my '17 Rebel feels like it's not locked to the road, feels like it moves around under me. My last two trucks were Gen 1 Raptors and I never had that feeling with them. Always felt that the truck did precisely what I told it to do and didn't move around on it's own. Anyone else feel this with their Rebels? Could this be the stock tires? Or the air bag suspension? Or ???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure how to describe this sensation but my '17 Rebel feels like it's not locked to the road, feels like it moves around under me. My last two trucks were Gen 1 Raptors and I never had that feeling with them. Always felt that the truck did precisely what I told it to do and didn't move around on it's own. Anyone else feel this with their Rebels? Could this be the stock tires? Or the air bag suspension? Or ???
I noticed the same sensation for the first couple days or so, I traded in a 15 ecoboost for the Rebel. I think its a product of the tires. I dont know if I just got used to it or if it went away, I have had the truck for a week and a half and do not notice it anymore and I routinely drive 80 down the interstate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have a '17 and already put over 1500 miles on it (commute is 45 miles freeway one way).
If you're talking about a "wandering" on it's own on highway speeds, the alignment and steering should be checked.
Not to be confused with air push from other vehicles such as semi's and other pickups or lateral wind. I'm coming from a 2001 2500 and a 2015 Big Horn. The Rebels seems to be more susceptible to wind compared to those. Make sure you're on Aero mode.
As for the tires, I can't say if they are the cause, but I don't trust them. I've always had BFG's and will be swapping to those as soon as I can.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would say you've never ridden in a truck/vehicle with air suspension before.
My wife has trouble riding in the truck with me...she gets motion sickness.....23 yrs together, copilot in 12 different vehicles, and never a problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The air is very different from my previous 10 and 13 rams. It has a weird feeling when you get on it. Also yes when passing rigs it does like to suck in. I'm still torn on having air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times in my '16. At least in my case its felt like the back end wasn't planted and it was starting to fish tail. Usually around 65-70 mph down the freeway. It's definitely not the wake from other vehicles. I've noticed it more prominent if the highway has been milled up before being resurfaced or if the road has low spots in the wheel tracks. The last time it happened to me i pulled over thinking one of the rear wheel's lug nuts were all loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I did a little more testing. At 40mph a quick left to right to center movement of the steering wheel, as though a deer just jumped out, and the steering responds as I make the movements - truck feels very stable. Try the exact same thing at 65-70mph and the truck behaves as though it is one step behind. In other words as I’m returning to center (from the quick right) the truck is still veering right, with the rear end noticeably behind the front end. As tsschatz said it could be likened to fishtailing. And as silver13 said when passing big rigs I get sucked towards the big rig as well. This is not normal or acceptable behavior, although it appears to be Rebel behavior.

I’m now leaning toward the problem being with the electronic steering since it typically gets less responsive the faster one goes, but heck that’s just a guess. I did just place an order for a set of Fuel Trophy wheels (painted all black) and four Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac’s in 315/70x17. I’ll post whether these helped or not (that will at least eliminate a tire problem).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have your alignment checked. My Grand Cherokee was "darty" on the highway. Dealer said that was just the way they all are. Well no - I had some work done recently at another shop and they did an alignment and the "darty" while not gone altogether is much better. Seems normal now. I initially thought it was the steering system also - I would agree with Barnstormer that the electronic steering may well be part of it but the car is much more stable now. . I have quite a few highway miles on my son's Rebel and his steers and handles fine. I have only had mine off island and out on the highway once just after I got it and it too was fine. I am taking mine off in a couple of weeks and will pay attention.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At freeway speed the suspension is in AERO mode. Tomorrow I'll try raising it and see if it changes at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...My 2 cents. Oh wait we don't have pennies here anymore. Lol
No pennies! So you must be from Canada maybe? I wish we would get rid of pennies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tested the problem at both Normal and AERO height, essentially the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you do the test while it was adjusting? I would test it under hard acceleration while it is adjusting and also test it while adjusting during a curve in the road. I can tell you I did it and it did have a funny feel to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you do the test while it was adjusting? I would test it under hard acceleration while it is adjusting and also test it while adjusting during a curve in the road. I can tell you I did it and it did have a funny feel to it.
No, I made sure it was set in the two modes. Might try that though to see if it gets worse. I'll take my truck in for an oil change next week and bring this issue to their attention before I put the new rims and tires on so they don't get blamed.

I found a guy selling a steering gear/frame beef up kit for earlier 1500's and 2500's & 3500's, and the problem he was solving sounded identical to what I'm experiencing. But he said when the 1500's went to rack and pinon steering his kit would not fit. I don't know if that means Dodge fixed the problem or if his kit just doesn't fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you describe to us when you feel this happening, what the truck is going? Acceleration, going around curves, high speed or slow, all the time or does it occur at a specific speed, if so what speed. Can you reproduce it on demand? If you can't reproduce it is my experience that the dealership will be dumb founded and not very responsive.

I felt this one time whenever I was test driving my truck but the roads were wet and so I just thought it was loss of traction. I was going around the town square and the backend of the truck felt like it was floating.

I'm sure we can help try to narrow the potential issue with more details.

It is my suggestion that this sensation is occurring during an air suspension adjustment. What the vehical is doing at the time of adjustment will determine if you experience the sensation.

To test this I would start off in offroad, and manually bring it to aero mode while acceleration or an on a curve.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can reproduce it 100% of the time. Doesn't matter what right height mode it is in, or if it's transitioning between modes. Most pronounced way to feel it is to be at freeway speed and swerve from side to side. Immediately the back of the truck will lag the front (like the truck is fishtailing), and steering input will lag as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That is exactly what my Grand Cherokee used to do. I drove about 300 highway miles yesterday and after the alignment it is much more relaxed. Still not really enthused about the handling which I find a bit abrupt but much better since the work. My sons Rebel is very much a pleasure to drive on the highway, or anywhere for that matter. I have to do a highway stretch in his in a few days and will really pay attention but so far i have not noticed any ill handling.

Edit. Drove about 300 miles on the highway today in his Rebel, none of what you describe in evidence. Smooth and steady. I still going with having the alignment checked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.