Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 Rebel and feel like I got had at the dealership. I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle so I ha no prior knowledge of Rebels and what they included. In face the first time I saw one was the day I bought one. I know.....bad on me for not doing my research but I figured when purchasing a not so regular Ram most accesories would be included but I quickly found out this wasn't the case. I ended up getting the stock gauge cluster and the U connect without the navigation. There were other things that I realized I did not have the option of getting but these two are my big complaints. On top of all this I am pretty sure I paid the fully loaded price for this vehicle. Has anyone swapped the stock crappy gauges out for the Rebel gauges and how do I go about getting navigation hooked up on the U connect. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Trevor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Trev1206, I bought mine with the Uconnect and "Nav Optional" I thought it had NAV because the sales clown said "sure it has everything". To enable the NAV on a "NAV optional radio" you will need to go to the Mopar website and login. Register your truck. There you can purchase options for Uconnect like in truck WIFI (way over priced) and you can get the upgrade for your radio. Here is the site...Owners Login
It cost me $599 to have the NAV activated. It works well. You basically have to purchase it, they give you a code to put in your radio and reboot the radio. It's very easy and has instructions you can print out. Watch out for the SXM if you have that too. My window sticker said 1 year free SXM and the bone heads sent me a bill after 2 months. I called and they said the SXM was only free for 2 months. I asked them "why does my sticker say 1 year? 2 minutes later the girl comes back and says" ok it's good for 1 year now. Last my truck came with the Rebel Gauges so can't help with that but If I had yours I would definitely get them upgraded. Well worth it with all that you can do with the upgraded gauges. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Trev1206, I bought mine with the Uconnect and "Nav Optional" I thought it had NAV because the sales clown said "sure it has everything". To enable the NAV on a "NAV optional radio" you will need to go to the Mopar website and login. Register your truck. There you can purchase options for Uconnect like in truck WIFI (way over priced) and you can get the upgrade for your radio. Here is the site...Owners Login
It cost me $599 to have the NAV activated. It works well. You basically have to purchase it, they give you a code to put in your radio and reboot the radio. It's very easy and has instructions you can print out. Watch out for the SXM if you have that too. My window sticker said 1 year free SXM and the bone heads sent me a bill after 2 months. I called and they said the SXM was only free for 2 months. I asked them "why does my sticker say 1 year? 2 minutes later the girl comes back and says" ok it's good for 1 year now. Last my truck came with the Rebel Gauges so can't help with that but If I had yours I would definitely get them upgraded. Well worth it with all that you can do with the upgraded gauges. :)

Thanks for the help will keep you updated on what the dealership says

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine came with NAV free for 5 years, not sure why you would have to pay for it? must be a package option.
Joe, Did you mean to say SXM for 5 years? Once you buy the NAV you should have it for the life of the truck. Your truck must have come with the 8.4 NAV/RA4 Radio. it has the NAV already activated with 3D maps and 5 years of SXM. The radio Trev and I have is the 8.4/RA3 and it comes with NAV that can be enabled with a code and 2D maps with 1 year SXM.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I think @joe is talking about the NAV updates free for 5 years. It was a special package deal. Then you have to pay for any map updates after that. Once bought, NAV is something you own. But it's basically just a Garmin GPS. I don't like GPS much anyway, and a smartphone with Google Maps does the same thing if I really need one. A good Garmin or TomTom costs less than $300.

Some of the 8.4 systems can't run the GPS without a minor hardware add-on, which is included in the price, but the dealer can check on that. Some guy have gotten quotes of up to $1200 to actually add the feature to the truck.

The instrument cluster, when you order it with the truck as a factory option, costs a little under $200. It's prettier. Pretty counts, right? But while the option is cheap from the factory, if you're asking for it at the dealership, it's a big dash removal and at least one guy has been quoted $1100 to do it.

That instrument cluster should be standard on these things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing I will say about the nav, I had a Tom Tom before the Garmin based. The graphics, directions, and abilities of the Tom Tom were light years ahead of the Garmin, The accuracy of the Garmin based nav leaves a lot to be desired, plus Tom Tom comes with free lifetime updates and it also gives a warning of all traffic light cameras, which Garmin is incapable of doing. I have quit using the Ram's nav and have gone back to plugging in the Tom Tom.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
@Gman - I read a report a few months back, for a 2015 Rebel, that a hardware upgrade was required for GPS support. A guy was told by his dealership that it was required before the software would work the same as a factory-installed nav. The report was that the radio was an RA3 (8.4A) radio unit, not an RA4 (8.4AN), and that the navigation unit isn't fully functional in the 8.4A. You lose some of the GPS features.

I didn't purchase a truck with nav, nor did I upgrade, and mine is an early 2015 Rebel. So I can't say I've witnessed this directly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find I use Google maps instead of mine, would never have ordered one with Nav but the one on the lot had it. Google maps is so much more accurate, and also provides the traffic estimates on times or delays. Wish the auto manufacturers would start using them OEM. If I could sell you my NAV package I would.

As for the cluster, there are a few threads around that topic. Doesnt seem to be an easy swap or cheap to add.. They shouldn't build any of these without the cluster, FCA should get the point that nobody wants to order a REBEL and not have the REBEL cluster, period. Every one who ends up with one feels ripped off. Really bad for the brand. And no I wont sell you my rebel cluster.

Welcome to the Rebel club BTW.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That site is doesn't work if you live in Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts