Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this in case people are interested.

Went for a drive today to compare my current truck to what my new Rebel should look like when I get it. The one here is a V6 and is 45 minutes away from where I live. I'm getting the Hemi but except for the lack of the engine badge and the dual exhaust it should look the same.

My FX-4 is modified. It is leveled +2.5" in the front and +1" in the back with 34" tires instead of the garbage stock tires that came with it.

Here are a few of my observations:
  • Rebel is higher in the hood but shorter in the bed. Don't know what setting the air-ride is at.
  • Rebel has rear wheel well liners stock. I had to buy and put them in on the FX-4. (What a pain it was too.)
  • The stock Toyo tires are almost as aggressive as my Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. Although I think 35" tires are in my future just because I can.
  • The picture looks like the FX-4 it taller overall but they are very close and the FX-4 is not stock.
The place I went to was closed so I couldn't get into it. Really have no inclination to test drive it with the V6 anyway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's the first V6 Rebel I've seen.
There seems to be a lot of them around in southern Ontario. I don't know why anyone would buy the V6 when the Hemi gets almost as good mileage.

The only cosmetic difference I could see between the V6 and the Hemi Rebel is the Hemi badge and lack of dual exhaust.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just from a cosmetic point of view, the lack of dual exhaust would be a deal breaker.

The Pentastar V6 is a actually a really good drivetrain in the Ram. We move a few of them, and they have plenty of power and really good fuel economy. For most truck owners, it will do the job perfectly.

Personally, I still want to see the EcoDiesel in the Rebel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was kind of surprised there wasn't dual exhaust on that one I took pictures of. It is kind of an icon of being the Rebel imo although I guess it is an icon of the Hemi.

I agree that most truck owners would be fine with the V6 since most truck owners now are soccer moms who want the big truck look to keep up with the Jones's, will never see a real situation for 4wd, will never drive off-road, will never tow, and want to feel cool in their full size truck. I'm ok with that as long as they get out of my way. :)

I am biased since I do tow, go off-road, and drive in adverse weather conditions with confidence. I used to drive float truck (double drop deck low boy 4 axle float pulled by a 460 Mack) hauling everything from Bobcats to 450 John Deere excavators sometimes in weather where I couldn't see beyond my hood. Driving a "full size" pickup truck is not a challenge.

And then I see someone wrap their truck around a tree because they turned on 4wd on ice and thought it was magic glue... (I also used to drive tow truck a long time ago.)

I did ask about the EcoDiesel when I was looking at the Rebel. I'd love to move to diesel but I can not justify the upfront increase in cost and I do not require a 1-ton yet. My snowmobile trailer is around 2500 lbs loaded with 2 sleds, fuel and gear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, EcoDiesel adds about $4500 to the cost of the truck. If you put a lot of KM on your vehicles, that can pay for itself quickly. But if you're not a high mileage driver, there's probably no real world advantage. Especially with the V6 being as efficient as it is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I've taken delivery and had a few days with my 2016 Rebel I'll post some observations:

• The HEMI is much stronger than the 5.0 litre Coyote engine. If the Hemi wakes up like my 5.0 litre did after 10,000-15,000 kms this thing will be a beast. The 5.0 litre was no slouch from day one but after around 15,000 kms it seemed to wake-up and had all kinds of power. This HEMI has even more power and it's still in breakin/brand new.
  • Milage is already better than the FX-4's 5.0 litre w/6 speed. I got an overall average of 18.5 l/100km with the Coyote. The HEMI only has 288 kms on it right now but the average over mostly city and a little highway driving is at 16.4 l/100km.
  • The 8 speed transmission takes some getting used to. After my few days with the truck it's starting to not be so annoying.
  • The stock Toyo tires are pretty good and almost the same size as what I put on the FX-4. It's nice to have some real tires from the factory and not have to dish out $2000 for new tires to replace a crappy marketing decision. We will see next winter how they do in the snow.
  • The uConnect system is much better than the version of Sync I had in the 2014. The uConnect is responsive and set out pretty well.
  • Sirius/XM is nice for free but I still wouldn't pay for it. The sounds quality sucks most of the time.
  • My FX-4 had the Sony audio system and the Rebel has the Alpine. The Alpine has more power to it (loudness) and a bigger sub. The sound is pretty good for both of them although the Alpine seems to have more bass.
Some observations I have with the "air ride" suspension:
  • The "air ride" suspension rides nice. It rides better than the FX-4 did. Soaks up a lot of bumps I would have felt before.
  • The suspension seemed to have more understeer (scrubbing in turns) than I had with the FX-4 but it had 20" wheels and low profile tires whereas the Rebel has 17" wheels. The sidewall height makes a difference in handling. After these first few days I'm fine with it and it isn't as noticeable to me.
  • The "air ride" suspension doesn't stay in entry/exit mode when I set it to it and was putting stuff in it and installing the AMP bed extender. It moved more than once while I was drilling holes. I guess that is what "jack mode" is for? The manual is not very good at explaining exactly what is going on.
  • For Aero mode to come on you have to be speeding or on a 400 series highway in Ontario. I drove on rural roads and at 90-100 km/h it doesn't go into Aero mode. Not until you do over 100 km/h does it change on it's own. I think I'm going to turn it off.
Once I turned on the "ECO" indicator it seems the truck is in ECO mode the majority of the time when driving around town. I think that is awesome.

Another thing I found is it is nice to have wheel well liners from the factory. I had to buy and install the ones on the FX-4 for $250 and a couple hours of my time. They were a pain in the ass to install but doable on the FX-4.

Complaints:
The "air ride" system seemingly randomly changing modes while sitting still in park and engine off. Is this what "jack mode" is for?
Automatic Aero mode should have settings for the speed in which it comes on and turns off although I can always hit the button.

The tonneau cover:
I got the tri-fold tonneau with embossed ram head logo. Yep it has a small ram head logo so they didn't lie but it certainly isn't the one they picture all over their marketing material. I don't really care about this but it is something to note.
When using the tonneau cover with a bed extender you can't close the tonneau and lock it. Whichever engineer thought it was a cool idea to use cams levers that pull down into the bed was an idiot. When the bed extender is in the stored position inside the bed of the truck it interferes with the levers and you can't pull them down far enough to engage the clamps to hold the cover down. This must have been a Monday morning or Friday evening design. It's a simple thing and pretty stupid that no one figured this out as a problem.

Overall they are both nice trucks. Each has it's benefits and a few issues. I'll miss the FX-4 but I do like my Rebel a lot. I like my Rebel more every time I drive it. The HEMI is strong and sounds awesome with the stock exhaust. (I don't need to show off to the neighbours with a loud exhaust.) I have yet to tow my snowmobile trailer yet but I'm sure it will be even better than the FX-4 for authority over the trailer.

Each truck also has a major stupidity moment. The FX-4 and the Pirelli tires. The Rebel and the tonneau cover/bed extender interference.

Hope my ramblings are informative and useful to someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Posting this in case people are interested.

Went for a drive today to compare my current truck to what my new Rebel should look like when I get it. The one here is a V6 and is 45 minutes away from where I live. I'm getting the Hemi but except for the lack of the engine badge and the dual exhaust it should look the same.

My FX-4 is modified. It is leveled +2.5" in the front and +1" in the back with 34" tires instead of the garbage stock tires that came with it.

Here are a few of my observations:
  • Rebel is higher in the hood but shorter in the bed. Don't know what setting the air-ride is at.
  • Rebel has rear wheel well liners stock. I had to buy and put them in on the FX-4. (What a pain it was too.)
  • The stock Toyo tires are almost as aggressive as my Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. Although I think 35" tires are in my future just because I can.
  • The picture looks like the FX-4 it taller overall but they are very close and the FX-4 is not stock.
The place I went to was closed so I couldn't get into it. Really have no inclination to test drive it with the V6 anyway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is. It was the only one I knew of in the area so I could see one in person while waiting for my ordered one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, EcoDiesel adds about $4500 to the cost of the truck. If you put a lot of KM on your vehicles, that can pay for itself quickly. But if you're not a high mileage driver, there's probably no real world advantage. Especially with the V6 being as efficient as it is.
You also get a sweet power train, that in real world driving gives you the tip in of the Hemi, with the economy of a diesel.. I routinely get 25-26mpg commuting and it will give you 28+ mpg cruising @ 70+. The 8 speed is well matched to the Eco, always in the right gear..

YMMV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts