Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is interesting. Looks like GMC is getting in on the "real" 4X4 game. Maybe some Rebel competition?

Just annouced the Sierra 1500 SLT All Terrain X.

So if you're familiar with the All terrain package they've had for a few years, it gives you monotone paint, no chrome, 20" wheels, black interior with red stitching, pseudo-carbon trim, and some other details. Z71 suspension. That's about it. Those 20" wheels pretty much guarantee it's not an off roader.

Yesterday they announced the X package. 18" wheels with Goodyear Duratracs. performance exhaust, Eaton rear locker, beefier steps, light bar in the bed, some other stuff.

Interesting.

gmc-sierra-all-terra-3_800x0w.jpg

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Pretty nice, and good news for us Ram owners. Means Ram will work to stay competitive. More features and improvements!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely has an Avalanche vibe. I kind of dig the beefy look. Much like the Rebel, it's no bigger than the standard truck. also like the Rebel, the front bumper has been redesigned to allow for a better approach angle. They got rid of the front valance, that most of my customers remove anyway. The light bar seems kind of gimmicky, but I sort of like the look.

My company has a dozen of these ordered up now, as we always do well with GMs in our rental fleet. I've earmarked a black one for my department, so will be able to give a real review when it arrives. Hopefully in March. I too thought the factory LEDs on the light bar look too small, so I'll be putting a full width light bar up there. Also ordered the GM intake as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As a previous Avalanche owner i quite like the look of that, won't be trading in, but, if the rear seats fold down and the rear lower window section folds down it gives you a true 8ft x 4ft bed space which the Rebel does not have

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As a previous Avalanche owner i quite like the look of that, won't be trading in, but, if the rear seats fold down and the rear lower window section folds down it gives you a true 8ft x 4ft bed space which the Rebel does not have
Darn it....ya ruined what I was gonna say because I like you and don't wana be mean :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I'm missing something. All I see there is Sierra 1500... not avalanche. If the added bars in the back make it an avalanche then an f150 with bars in the back would look like an avalanche. Like I said. I must be missing something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not an Avalanche style body. It's a crew cab (or double cab) with a normal truck bed. No 8ft length.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Definitely not an Avalanche style body. It's a crew cab (or double cab) with a normal truck bed. No 8ft length.
The 8ft capacity is only available when the rear panel behind the rear seats is folded down, has a normal bed length

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's what I thought. I was reading all the references to the avalanche and thought I wasn't Seeing something or that I was going crazy. Lol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I still see avalanche rip offs on a GMC body style

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think I'm missing something. All I see there is Sierra 1500... not avalanche. If the added bars in the back make it an avalanche then an f150 with bars in the back would look like an avalanche. Like I said. I must be missing something.
That's what I'm seeing, too. But I assumed I just didn't know the Avalanche well enough. They do call it a 1500. The Avalance appears to me to be a 1500 up front but with a modified cabin rear and a valance of some kind around the bed. I've never paid too much attention to them. This Jimmy looks more like a 1500 with roll bars and some other trim pieces. Here's a pic from Car and Driver of the rear end.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I still see avalanche rip offs on a GMC body style
That's the story of being part of GM. Like the Firebird. Pontiac had designed a pretty awesome two-seat sports car but GM didn't want competition with the Corvette, the Chevy flagship. So they had Chevy turn over the Camaro design to Pontiac to modify and produce, instead. That's how we got the Firebird. GM considered the Vette a more elite vehicle appealing to smaller numbers of customers, whereas it was in their interest to offer as many cheap alternatives to the very popular Camaro as possible. Better to be your own competition, so to speak. I should say that FCA comes from the same history. Probably the single best example is the Dodge Caravan which is also sold as the Chrysler Town and Country.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I'm seeing, too. But I assumed I just didn't know the Avalanche well enough. They do call it a 1500. The Avalance appears to me to be a 1500 up front but with a modified cabin rear and a valance of some kind around the bed. I've never paid too much attention to them. This Jimmy looks more like a 1500 with roll bars and some other trim pieces. Here's a pic from Car and Driver of the rear end.
When available, the Avalanche was just a Suburban 1500 with the back chopped off and a foldable cab wall added. There was a 2500 version available for a couple of years too.

This truck is just a normal crewcab pickup with stuff added. Much like the Raptor. Or the Rebel. Except the GMC is also available in a double cab with the longer truck box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing really changing the look of the back is the bed mounted roll hoop/lightbar mount which is actually a standard item available for purchase through the GM Performance catalog. They even sell it for the Colorado's so it's really not all that special.

Aside from the tires there isn't anything all that special about the package, it's all styling add ons and no real meat to it to make it a "real" offroader.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing really changing the look of the back is the bed mounted roll hoop/lightbar mount which is actually a standard item available for purchase through the GM Performance catalog. They even sell it for the Colorado's so it's really not all that special.

Aside from the tires there isn't anything all that special about the package, it's all styling add ons and no real meat to it to make it a "real" offroader.
So in other words, it's just like a Rebel? Except the Sierra has a locker in the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So in other words, it's just like a Rebel? Except the Sierra has a locker in the back.
I would disagree with that. Ram actually put a notable amount of work into the Rebel to separate it from the standard Ram. Unique air suspension, functional front skid plate, Calibrating the suspension & drivertrain to work offroad, etc. Yes it needs an e-locker, but that truthfully is minor in the grand scheme of things. By comparison the X uses a standard Z71 suspension... which let's be honest is pretty much made for towing your boat rather than going on trail. If I were a betting man, comparing the two in a proper offroad environment I would put my money on the Rebel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts