Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got my Rebel back in October, Decided before I even had her she was getting a whipple, as the Alaska winter progressed I got a build plan going. So heres what I have planned and its status, I'll post some pictures of how its progressed the last few months as well, love any input, i'll answer any questions about what I've bought that I can, and hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of all this. So the build plan is as follows, some of its done, some of its pending, some of it hasnt even been ordered yet, but here goes

Exterior/Interior lighting is done: LED headlight conversion from Headlight Revolution, some diode dynamics LED's on the inside as well as just what Autozone had for LED bulbs on some, and a Rough Country 20" Dual Row Black series with DRL mounted through the grill

Appearance stuff, mostly done. undecided on graphics: Plasti-dipped my RAM badge red to match the truck, Raptor lined my skid black black, Method Double standard 304 Wheels Wheels were needed for my suspension, offset and what not, but I chose these ones because I've had them before and love the look. Considering some graphics on either the bed or the hood, always interested in what people have done for that

Suspension, Done: Now some fun stuff, deleted the Air ride, I'm in Alaska, and while mines not been a huge issue yet, -50F below will kill it eventually, so I went with the Carli 2.5 Performance System, with King Shocks and Carli Upper Control Arms, this is freshly installed of 7/3, still needs an alignment, but ultimately it looks like the truck now sits at the "Offroad" Ride height, and still maintains a slight rake, should reduce some when the alignment is done as right now I've got some solid negative camber, so when the wheels are more upright it should sit a little more level, but will still hold slight forward rake. Carli's big claim here is improved performance while maintaining factory geometry of things like the CV Axles, track bar, sway bars. I coupled this with 285/75/17 ATIIs, for a 34" (33.9 actual height from Toyo's website) on the afore mentioned Method 304's

Performance, Whipple kit in the garage, install should start in the next week: Picked up a Whipple Supercharger kit from Lethal Performance, I went with HP Tuners for my Unlocked ECM (I tried Diablo, but they were not interested in getting it done I guess, I wont smash on them unless someone asks me what happened there) For monitoring things like boost and timing I did give Diablo a shot with the Trinity T2 MX monitor only, and will be using their universal sensor input for wide band 02 readings, for tuning I'll use Whipples tune to make sure everything is solid and ready to go, then I'm strongly leaning towards FRP ("Flyin Ryan Performance") for some custom tuning, and I'll probably pick up a bigger pully for winter driving, as the super cold air I've read, can spike your boost up a little higher then 5.7s sometimes like. Noone wants spike 10psi on a 5.7 cause the airs super cold and dense, and then sad face their motor. So summer time 7-8psi, winter keep it closer to 5psi is the current thought process. Has anyone used FRP around here? I've heard of Greene tuning as well. Again, thoughts are welcome.

Pending stuffs: Looking at Vice Designs for their hidden winch mount, shopping for a rack that's not only effective for carrying kayaks and gear, but that can handle being taken off repeatedly and not a huge pain to do so, I'd love input from anyone on that. Long term for appearance make me feel good stuff, is seeing if I can make my black Push button start Red. I know its a silly thing but it will tickle my pickle. Long term I may go ahead and put some drop in Pistons and rods, but that's a maybe. If I decide I need more power that's what will have to happen. But I also have my Hellcat, so that itch should stay scratched.

The idea is to tear ass down the Denali Highway here in Alaska, like 120 miles of dirt road, and make good use of our heavy snow falls here in the winter. She should still be good on the slower trail stuff as long as Im light on the right foot, and be an animal on the highway. I'll post some pics of day 1, to where she is now below. Im starting the whipple install soon, if there's something anyone wants to see from that let me know and I'll try to get pictures.

Reactions: Desert Dawg

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 1, picked her up last october, 29k miles at the time

First thing I did, LED lighting for the headlights, and Rough Country light bar mounted through the grill. Red RAM badge came next

out for some fun this winter, this is after I did the Plasti Dip on the badge, a few months of cold weather, its held up well

Raptor lined the skid plate, was actually very easy, taped everything off, Raptor liner is pretty forgiving to use, and has held up well so far, this is from May

And this is where we are at. This is with the Carli Suspension installed and new wheels and tires, after a short test drive. It needs an Alignment for sure, ended up with some negative camber on both sides and maybe some toe in on the drivers side, we have a good shop around here, so I'm gonna let that old man work his magic. I'll get some pictures of the suspension this week. Like I said above as of right now, it sits at just above the "Offroad" ride height, Carli advertises 2 inches in front, 1ish in rear, but this is based off a regular Ram 1500, like a sport, the Rebels are an inch higher already, so this kit wont get me much lift, there's still a slight rake, but I'll take another round of measurements after alignment and I'll post what I end up with. Shops booked til Friday so the wait continues. After all that, its on to the Whipple.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my alignment today! Alignment guy always likes to come show me how messed up my stuff was after he's done lol. Ride was fairly rough at first. After 20 miles of driving or so the shocks started to feel alot better. Had my tire PSI up around 55, ended up dropping them to 45psi. Might take it down a little more, but after that she felt pretty damn good. King Shocks are fairly noisy. And the coil springs have some chatter I'm troubleshooting. Re clocked the springs and am gonna give all my body mounts a once over. I'm probably dragging it up to those mountains in the background tomorrow. That's Denali National Park. Next steps the Whipple! In other news, passenger side headlight keeps fogging up. So like a pitcher with pine tar they're outta here. Leaning heavily towards Morimoto XB LED headlights. If anyone had experience with these I'd love to hear about it

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found my noise. upper shock bolts. re torqued, all you hear is tires exhaust and motor now lol

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took her out for a long drive today through some frost heave and earthquake damaged highway. The Eliot Highway out to a place to hike. Did amazing! Tomorrow stock parts start coming off and the Whipple starts going on!

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2nd round of fun begins!

These are a few photos from the suspension project last week prior to alignment

Having gotten to drive it around a couple days after the alignment I'm very pleased with it. I may look into an aftermarket adjustable track bar, especially going into adding power. I'll keep adding pictures as I make progress.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrapped up for the day. Still a long way to go. Got the holes drilled for the crank pin kit. Need to pick up some green lock tight and set the pins in place

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Short work week over and got back at it yesterday, 16 Spark plugs gaped and changed, lower and upper manifold on and torqued, alternator relocated, today we'll grind some more

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been a week or so but she's pretty well done! Whipples on with the Billet Tech catch can on. I routed alot of hoses and wires my own way try for a cleaner look. Diablo Gauge screen (Trinity T2 monitor only) is tentatively mounted. The location is exactly what I want, but we will see how the method of mounting holds upPics of the progress I made to finish since my last post below. Only thing left is some custom tuning, and I am planning on some Morimoto XB headlights. All in including the truck and the headlights I'd say this was around 55k-56k. Again that's including the truck. So far I'm pretty happy. Ready to get her out on the road for a bit, and even more excited for custom tuning.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got her out quite a bit today. No leaks, running great, the whipple tune is fairly conservative so definitely gonna be getting the ball rolling on the custom tune soon, but she pulls like an animal especially from a roll, the suspension feels great and she looks good. Morimoto XBs are next. Also looking into Methanol Injection to helps keep the motor happy.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Latest update. Truck was running great. Then my DiabloSport Trinity started causing me issues. Pretty sure it got a broken wire in the cable causing feedback. Unplugged it problems are gone. We shall see. On a positive the Morimoto XBs came today and look amazing!

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent work all the way around! How is that Whipple been doing?
It's not been without its problems. Working with Whipple currently to resolve a repetitive MAP sensor issue that keeps occurring at high throttle situations. But when she does go she goes hard. I'm excited to get the bugs worked out and see what she does in the snow this winter

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
120 Posts
It's not been without its problems. Working with Whipple currently to resolve a repetitive MAP sensor issue that keeps occurring at high throttle situations. But when she does go she goes hard. I'm excited to get the bugs worked out and see what she does in the snow this winter
At least they're working with you so that's good to know. Been considering doing the same but been hesitant about adding one since still under warranty. Looking forward to hearing how it works out!

P.S. Where in Alaska are you? I used to work there many years past and lived in Fairbanks but worked out way past Fox (forgot the name of the little dinner there, but had the best pies...lol). Loved it but wish I spent more time enjoying the outdoors more than just the work!

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At least they're working with you so that's good to know. Been considering doing the same but been hesitant about adding one since still under warranty. Looking forward to hearing how it works out!

P.S. Where in Alaska are you? I used to work there many years past and lived in Fairbanks but worked out way past Fox (forgot the name of the little dinner there, but had the best pies...lol). Loved it but wish I spent more time enjoying the outdoors more than just the work!
[/QUOTE
I'm also in Fairbanks. Overall I'm glad I did it. Whipple sent me a new MAP sensor and I'm gonna replace the connector. I think my issue is some loose or stressed wiring. Once that's sorted it should be go time

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tore apart and back together. Redid the oil catch can too. You have 2 PCV lines, and one typically pulls more oil then the other. Swapped it to the other line, definitely catching oil now. Running good so far.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been a week since I finished my MAP repairs and that seems to have been the ticket. Got my wide band 02 kit in, need to get it installed and right now im looking at Greene Tuning for a custom tune. Got my Diablo T2 monitor only working well, and I think this is its permanent home now, it's finally dark enough to really see the difference with these Morimoto XBs too. I'm not ready for winter just yet but I'm a little excited to beat on it in some snow.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts