Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
What people do not realize is the shifters today, regardless of what vehicle is no longer done with mechanical linkages. It's all electronic and therefore you don't need a big shifter taking up space. I like the nob shifter as I get more counsel space this way. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't mind the shifter, I wish they had split the center of the dash and put the bottom half at a angle, like the new Pacifica. This one is easier to use. It might just be in my head but I like that shifter layout a lot better. But it's like you said, it's all electric so it didn't really matter.
Big Red

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jokes on me. My rebel is my first automatic transmission. Early on, I caught the nob with a finger while waving my arm searching for the stick shift and rolled it into neutral heading into a turn.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
While I really like my Rebel, the dash and console ergonomics really suck. I really wish Ram would do better engineering with respect to controls operation. Just clustering all related controls would work better than what they've done. That was the standard for the last century, and the only thing that made it tough was the need to have so many mechanical connections. Now, they've got everything controlled by wiring. It should be incredibly simple to lay it out more intelligently.

1. hazard light switch in the middle of the console, between radio controls? really? my wife changed a/c blower speed on the highway and turned the hazard light on, then had to search for a minute to figure out how to turn it off.
2. climate temp controls bracketing the hazard light - two buttons that you have to play with while driving? they should be down away from the radio controls, with the rest of the climate controls. the other major climate control is a large knob for fan speed. between the radio knobs, and only slightly lower. easy to confuse, especially in night driving.
3. transmission controls - yeah, they have a pretty silvery border around them, but they are still easy to confuse when driving.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't mistake them, either, when I'm looking at them. It's when I'm driving and reaching for them in my peripheral vision. I don't do it often now, just once in a great while. And certainly I feel the difference right away if I do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Only had the truck a short while, never mistaken the knob.

Honestly I love the shifter. It's simple and out of the way. Does exactly what it needs to and nothing more or less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.