Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought my 2016 Rebel(4WD/crew cab) with 72k miles on it about a month ago and I've noticed my gas mileage is TERRIBLE.

Bought it 2.5 hours away and took all interstate/highway back and I was averaging MAYBE 11-12mpg..
But now that I've been back home (smaller town) my gas mileage will fluctuate between 7-9mpg had I known it was gonna be so crappy I'd have kept driving my Magnum that only gets like 6!! Lol

I've tried resetting the meter to try and see if I could keep it up... But it'll slowly dip back down below 10... Then 8..

Anywho....warmer weather is rolling around so I'll be able to poke my head underneath and under the hood..

What all should I start with??
Have 90% "oil life" until next change is needed.
Fuel filter? Any air filters? Plugs?

Not riding on stock tires/rims either(that SHOULDNT make this big of a difference)

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oil filter, air filter and a good 100% synthetic oil should get you back to 15-16mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil filter, air filter and a good 100% synthetic oil should get you back to 15-16mpg.
Hell, she just got serviced the day I picked it up...says like 88% oil life left(until change)
Was debating on buying a new air intake eventually, for now I'll just change the filter.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Oh man so much variance here. I suppose you can start with the basic stuff, oil, filter service, etc., ...and a tune-up, with new plugs, however without knowing the full details of the truck , like you said it doesn't have factory tires or rims, is it lifted, or does it have a leveling kit, are the rims in spacers....what is your area like, hilly, flat, etc.... ...and finally your driving style. You didn't mention your cruising speed on your 2.5 hr drive.
...and again, your driving habits play a big roll, you stated your magnum only got 6, mpg, however they are capable of much better milage when driven with ease and not like you stole it.
Congrats and
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man so much variance here. I suppose you can start with the basic stuff, oil, filter service, etc., ...and a tune-up, with new plugs, however without knowing the full details of the truck , like you said it doesn't have factory tires or rims, is it lifted, or does it have a leveling kit, are the rims in spacers....what is your area like, hilly, flat, etc.... ...and finally your driving style. You didn't mention your cruising speed on your 2.5 hr drive.
...and again, your driving habits play a big roll, you stated your magnum only got 6, mpg, however they are capable of much better milage when driven with ease and not like you stole it.
Congrats and
Good luck.
Nothing too out of the ordinary.
No lift kit.. It's still got the stock air ride/suspension. No spacers.
My driving style is conservative id say. I don't gun it taking off from stops. Average speed through town would probably be 20-25.. handful of stops throughout town and to work etc etc.

Area I live in is flat.
Average speed coming back was almost entirely interstate and highway so 60-75mph.

N ya, the magnum was a massive POS...I bought it 6 years ago and I'd say it's spent 60-70% of it's life inside storage or my garage. Constantly being worked on. The other main issue with the Magnum was it doesnt have an air/fuel sensor(can't remember exact name... It's tight before the throttle body) and it had a lot of other issues... Lol

I just have a hard time believing doing a couple tiny things such as filters/plugs/oil is going to nearly DOUBLE my MPG :/
But anything is better than what I'm getting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those are some really terrible numbers. Something has to be going on there. I just bought mine and I was doing 20mpg on the highway and Im doing 15mgp on stop and go traffic here at home

I got a 2016 with 15k miles on it. Stock truck, nothing has been done to it ...yet :p

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome. I can't believe the mileage. It sounds like it needs to go to a good mechanic. Sometimes you need a fresh eye looking for a problem.
Big Red

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took it into the dealership today and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it and verified it has the latest software. My next step will be addressing this directly with FCA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, just bought my 2016 Rebel(4WD/crew cab) with 72k miles on it about a month ago and I've noticed my gas mileage is TERRIBLE.

Bought it 2.5 hours away and took all interstate/highway back and I was averaging MAYBE 11-12mpg..
But now that I've been back home (smaller town) my gas mileage will fluctuate between 7-9mpg had I known it was gonna be so crappy I'd have kept driving my Magnum that only gets like 6!! Lol

I've tried resetting the meter to try and see if I could keep it up... But it'll slowly dip back down below 10... Then 8..

Anywho....warmer weather is rolling around so I'll be able to poke my head underneath and under the hood..

Not riding on stock tires/rims either(that SHOULDNT make this big of a difference)

Download the fuelly app. Helps you get a better understanding of the mileage you are getting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i got a 2018 ram rebel 4x4 and i got like 13.2 in town and i can't get bether than 15.6 on the highway im not happy when i see others ride like 20mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ha

I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with just under 36000 miles. I get an average of 14mpg in city and 18 to 19 on all freeway. Check your air filter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check/change the plugs. My 2012 Ram fuel economy went to hell after 40k. Changed the plugs and everything went back to normal. My 2016 Rebel gets 14 in the city and I've hit 20 on trips from Virginia to Florida.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm curious to know what wheels and tires you have on there (size, make and model) if not stock. They could have a huge impact on MPG. (Plus, check the tire pressure.

I replaced the heavy stock wheels and low profile Yokohama Geilander tires and put 15" BFG All-Terrain KO2 on my wife's Subaru Crosstrek. Smaller, lighter wheel, and smaller tire with a huge sidewall. Overall height is about the same as OEM. The old tires called for 30 psi rear and 32 psi front. The new ones were set to the same by the shop. Her MPG plumetted. I contacted TireRack and inquired about proper inflation. Thay said, cold the tires called for 37 psi rear and 39 front. That made a huge difference in the mpg and overall feel of the ride. If the air filter is dirty or clogged, it will decrease your mpg.

Also, take note of where your engine is shifting. If you're manually shifting with the buttons, that will play a roll as well.

Also the type of fuel you're using and your climate. Here in NY, the winter additives decrease mpg.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nothing too out of the ordinary.
No lift kit.. It's still got the stock air ride/suspension. No spacers.
My driving style is conservative id say. I don't gun it taking off from stops. Average speed through town would probably be 20-25.. handful of stops throughout town and to work etc etc.

Area I live in is flat.
Average speed coming back was almost entirely interstate and highway so 60-75mph.

N ya, the magnum was a massive POS...I bought it 6 years ago and I'd say it's spent 60-70% of it's life inside storage or my garage. Constantly being worked on. The other main issue with the Magnum was it doesnt have an air/fuel sensor(can't remember exact name... It's tight before the throttle body) and it had a lot of other issues... Lol

I just have a hard time believing doing a couple tiny things such as filters/plugs/oil is going to nearly DOUBLE my MPG :/
But anything is better than what I'm getting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2019, Crew Cab Rebel with About 1700 miles on it now and the best mpg I've gotten since January here in NY is 11.7 city and 12.4 hey.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good god thats terrible mileage. My 17 gets 13 to 14 with mainly town driving and fairly aggresive driving. I get about 17 to 18 or sometimes better on highway. I live in colorado which is mostly hills. Also i have 35's, used to get better. Have you actually manually checked your mileage, maybe the electronics are screwed up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts