Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph
(80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided".

I floored it today from almost a stand still, like what they said not too do. Would that hurt it doing it once do you figure? And right off the lot i was driving on a highway going 55mph to get home and it says not to do that for the first 60miles. Think that would affect anything? Also when they mean full throttle do they mean when i'm at like 30mph floor it till i hit 55, then coast back down to 30 and rinse and repeat?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
You'll be fine. I purchased mine with 10 miles on the ticker. That night drove to Atlantic city, doing anywhere between 75-100 mph, for about 50 miles, just to see how she rides and if there was any tires noises.....7 months and 10k miles later, she's a dream to drive with no issues.

Last month I towed several thousand pounds over the rated capacity and today she's still running like a champ..not my proudest moment but it had to be done.

So ya, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I floored it today from almost a stand still, like what they said not too do. Would that hurt it doing it once do you figure? And right off the lot i was driving on a highway going 55mph to get home and it says not to do that for the first 60miles. Think that would affect anything? Also when they mean full throttle do they mean when i'm at like 30mph floor it till i hit 55, then coast back down to 30 and rinse and repeat?
Gotta love this quote in this article:
"If an alternative break-in technique could net some more horsepower, or safeguard against the occasional race track engine failure, you'd think the automaker would give different instructions in the book."​
I recommend you watch the video, too. Very good explanations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that just made me more worried lol ive done 3 out of the 5. I've gone full throttle when cruising at like 40mph till i hit 60mph like the manual said, the one time i floored it from a near start it hit the red line for a splt sec and used cruise control for like 20min. If i dont do these things again I only have 130 miles on it, Think no damage would be done?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
How do most of you and especially me drive a new vehicle when we take it for a test drive. I think most of run the carp out it. So when you get a vehicle with 50 or 100 miles on it you know it probably had the hell run out of it for a while. Come on now have you ever opened up a brand new vehicle before? What is to be expected from a performance vehicle. I remember the first Road Runner I purchased, the Dealer owner told me to run the he'll out of it and watch the heat gauge. It had over 100,000 when I got rid of it. I will drive one the way I plan on driving it and watch the gauges.
Big Red

·
Registered
4 Posts
i took mine out for the first two weekends through north west jersey Vernon, Sussex etc it is a combination of highway rural streets mountains roads just to put it through different types of use i didn't floor it till after 500 miles.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I heard of a story while back where a guy didn't follow the break in procedures and floored it on the way home from the dealer, from a dead stop he mashed the pedal to the floor....he did this several times completely ignored any and all speed limits. Tires barked every time and he apparently love hearing that. So several months and several thousand miles later, the vehicle In question did something unexpected to him. It started. It ran. Just fine. But, there was one problem. With only few thousand miles on the vehicle he noticed that his rear tires were bald.

Let that be a lesson to all.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
How do most of you and especially me drive a new vehicle when we take it for a test drive. I think most of run the carp out it. So when you get a vehicle with 50 or 100 miles on it you know it probably had the hell run out of it for a while. Come on now have you ever opened up a brand new vehicle before? What is to be expected from a performance vehicle. I remember the first Road Runner I purchased, the Dealer owner told me to run the he'll out of it and watch the heat gauge. It had over 100,000 when I got rid of it. I will drive one the way I plan on driving it and watch the gauges.
Big Red
I test drive the way I intend to drive normally, which is medium acceleration. Now if it was a sports car, I might do it differently. :)

I have a friend that used to be a car dealer. He sold a lot of new cars with 50+ miles on them. Said most of the time there was more mileage on them it was because he let one of the sales staff drive it home overnight a few times. Said it was good for the staff to get a feel for the different models. He said most people only test drive one vehicle, that they've usually already settled on a vehicle, test driving sort of verifies their happiness with it, and they buy it and they're gone. A lot of people don't even do a test drive at all because they don't like extending the time at the dealership. Half the buyers only visit one dealership.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I test drive the way I intend to drive normally, which is medium acceleration. Now if it was a sports car, I might do it differently. :)

I have a friend that used to be a car dealer. He sold a lot of new cars with 50+ miles on them. Said most of the time there was more mileage on them it was because he let one of the sales staff drive it home overnight a few times. Said it was good for the staff to get a feel for the different models. He said most people only test drive one vehicle, that they've usually already settled on a vehicle, test driving sort of verifies their happiness with it, and they buy it and they're gone. A lot of people don't even do a test drive at all because they don't like extending the time at the dealership. Half the buyers only visit one dealership.
I hate stealerships, but ya you're right on the money. I didnt test drive. Get in get out. Done. Pedal to the medal on the way home...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
When I got Big Red we had it for about 6 hours. They know me and I have done business with them for years. They told me to drive it till I made up my mind and I died. We went through four counties. I drove out and the better half drove back. All kinds of roads and at all speeds 100 mph and under. Like I said before, this is probably the last truck i'll ever buy. I wanted one that would suite me. There is no way I would pay that much and not.
Big Red

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.