Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
My Truck is 2017 ram 1500 rebel 1352 mile on I Bought brand new .....
2/9/2017 a lot snow in noreast area tri state (NY,NJ,CT.MA) .....
After snow I just clean and remove snow My truck but I was shock..........
Crack in the all front windshield !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe this .......
Because I naver Hit something in the fornt windshield ....
only 1352 mile on
Hi Guys is this possible defective from factory ?

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Guys
only 1352 mile on
Most likely had a chip really low that you couldn't see then boom spread across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This sort of thing can also happen with thermal expansion. I made a mistake once - minivan parked in the driveway in the sun. I sprayed the hose on it to get it wet to wash it. Very loud pop sound, and a crack just like that ran all the way across the window. The hose water was just normal "cold" water from the hose. Now I avoid washing a vehicle that's been sitting in the sun all closed up, or sitting in extreme cold. I've heard stories like this, a clear sunny but extremely cold day can supposedly cause it to happen, especially if there are windows nearby that reflect extra sunlight, or even bright siding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sort of thing can also happen with thermal expansion. I made a mistake once - minivan parked in the driveway in the sun. I sprayed the hose on it to get it wet to wash it. Very loud pop sound, and a crack just like that ran all the way across the window. The hose water was just normal "cold" water from the hose. Now I avoid washing a vehicle that's been sitting in the sun all closed up, or sitting in extreme cold. I've heard stories like this, a clear sunny but extremely cold day can supposedly cause it to happen, especially if there are windows nearby that reflect extra sunlight, or even bright siding.
Hi
Look Like same sitatuion is
I was turn on heat for windshield because i want melting the snow and easy to clean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys
only 1352 mile on
Maybe you had a chip already and the cold weather caused it to spread?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi
Look Like same sitatuion is
I was turn on heat for windshield because i want melting the snow and easy to clean
Maybe you had a chip already and the cold weather caused it to spread?
It's also quite possible that there was some kind of flaw in the glass, maybe even along the edge behind the weather stripping. Thermal expansion causes stress, especially when one portion is warmer than the other. Normally the glass is tempered to withstand the amount of heat coming through the defroster because it's not real warm, just enough above freezing to cause ice and snow to melt. (because the truck just started and the engine isn't warmed up yet) Although if the temps are cold enough, even that might be too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unsure of why your that concerned. Most states here in New England have free glass replacement as part of your insurance, I know Mass, Maine, and NY do all places I've lived in the last 6 years. You got a stone to the window that cause a tiny crack you couldn't see, was just spread by it getting colder. Not really an issue you can fault the truck for.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Glass replacement is an option with insurance. It costs you a bit more on your insurance. Plus, deductible counts against it for most companies. So you make a claim for a $298 (current replacement cost of Ram 1500 windshield in my area), charged against your comprehensive coverage and your deductible. I run $1000 deductible. So I'd have to pay for the glass myself, anyway. Some companies cover it anyway, but some do not. And any claim against your insurance becomes part of your insurance record, and is taken into consideration for your next policy renewal. So even though the replacement might be "free," you'll pay for it in the long haul.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's not entirely accurate. Most policies have available glass coverage with a separate deductible that in many cases is zero and you can file up to 3 claims in 3 years before they will alter your premiums. Your comp/collision and deductible wont be involved

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd have to disagree, as it's forced upon you in most of the North east due to all of our snow and the large amount of rock salt/ sand that's distributed on our roadways. My NY policy I'm given free glass with 0 deductable, 1 free replacement a year, then $50 there after. Not a factor in premiums for replacing the windshield as I've gotten a windshield 5 our of my 7 years living in New England. My policies in Mass, Maine, and NY where all built the same in this fashion. And due to OPs area I'd assume his is probably very similar. When I held Oklahoma Insurance you are completely correct glass is optional/extra which is dumb to not have due to the hail 2 times a week.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I didn't write my last response real clearly - I think I accidentally deleted something. I was talking about what normally happens if you don't have a special glass coverage policy. Here's a few statements direct from national insurance companies that basically say special glass policies are offered if you want full coverage otherwise deductibles apply. None of the following companies force it on you, according to their web sites, unless you're using AAA in Florida. But that doesn't prevent local insurance agents from trying it.

Also, no state requires anything more than liability, personal injury, and in some cases uninsured motorist coverage. There are dozens of sites that list all this, but here's a professional one that's brief: State-by-State Minimum Coverage Requirements

My only real point being you can't guarantee that a random insured driver anywhere has full glass coverage.

Geico: Your Guide To Glass And Windshield Insurance Claims | GEICO
Does my insurance policy cover broken glass?
Broken glass is generally handled under your Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage, which is usually subject to a deductible. Log into your auto insurance policy and see if you have Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage.​

with Allstate, you have to buy Glass Claim Express or it works the same way. AAA Auto Glass FAQ

AAA provides glass coverage automatically with comprehensive policies only in Florida. Everywhere else, deductible applies unless you buy the special coverage. AAA says "usually" glass claims won't impact your policy but check with your agent to be sure. AAA Auto Glass FAQ

here's Progressive's statement: Progressive Auto Insurance - An Introduction
If both of the following conditions apply, you pay no deductible to have your windshield repaired:
  • You have Comprehensive coverage and have windshield damage that your policy covers.
  • Your windshield can be repaired safely rather than replaced.
State Farm: https://www.statefarm.com/claims/resources/auto/windshield-repairs
Windshield repairs can keep insurance costs down and hold down your premiums. Learn about next steps and the types of damage that can be repaired from State Farm.
Benefits
  • Windshield Repairs keep costs down since your windshield will not need to be replaced.
  • By helping keep insurance costs down, you will hold down your own premiums.
  • There may even be some direct savings available to you, depending on where you live and other conditions.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
In Kentucky State Farm it's covered under your comprehensive at 0 cost. That's fix or replace. After 35 + years I have had several. The last was on a Eldorado. They fixed it and then it got busted in a hale storm and they had it replaced. If they fix it it is guaranteed for as long as you have their insurance and own the vehicle.
Big Red

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My only response is if you don't have full coverage on what is most likely over a 50k truck you're a fucking idiot. Not like we're driving winter beaters here.
Clearly a matter of opinion. Some people are self-insured. No reason to pay a gamble to an insurance company on anything not required by law if you'd rather keep the gambling money yourself. Any business major will tell you that if you take that same money and invest it carefully, you'll make a lot more money over time than you pay out in losses. Which is what the insurance companies do. I know people who are self-insured.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.