Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Dodge Ram rebel. Since last week or so it seems like the truck is running funny even though i put type 89 gas on it? when i push the gas pedal the truck does not want to go kinda goes slow as if there is not enough power? what should i do

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The 5.7L Hemi has a Multi-Displacement System for fuel savings. The computer shuts down the fuel intake to 4 cylinders to save fuel. This happens when you are driving, usually at speeds over 20mph. When you stop accelerating for a short time, say "cruising" down a street at 25 or 45 or whatever speed, and the engine RPMs are in the 1100-maybe 1500 range, MDS engages. When you try to accelerate again, there is a very short time, about 1/4 to 1/2 second, where it disengages and starts feeding all 8 cylinders again, before it can really accelerate.

The speed limit on my road is 25mph. MDS kicks on in there, and I sometimes have to give it a little extra gas to get up one hill, but the speed is so low, and the tranny is in a lower gear, and MDS doesn't usually kick off even then, which amuses me.

When MDS is engaged, you get the green ECO light on your instrument panel. If you've never seen it, get to some cruising speed and watch for it. If you don't get it, it's probably been disabled in your UConnect menu. It normally comes on when the MDS is engaged. Plus, you get used to the sounds and can tell by the engine feel and the exhaust hum when MDS is active.

Some guys hate it. It cannot be permanently disabled, but you can override it every time you put the truck in gear, by hitting your "-" (downshift) button on your steering wheel one time. You'll see on the instrument panel that you've moved out of Drive and into the manually controlled mode. Check your manual on how it operates.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Oh, I meant to add that when you accelerate and MDS is active, it feels a little like a short turbo lag and then you have all the Hemi power at your disposal as the MDS kicks off.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue, hoping dealer will be able to help you better....it sounds like a minor issue but as long as its under warranty cant hurt to make the appointment

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
just fyi: According to some other Ram owners, the ECO light comes on when you're driving in the most economic fashion. They say while it's not directly connected to the MDS, it lights up under pretty much the same conditions as when the MDS engages. That might be true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.