Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Factory trailer break controller into my 2017 Rebel. No problems except mounting the screws to the bracket. What a pain in the ass that was. Patience is required on those but the rest of it was a piece of cake. I took it to the dealer and had them flash the trucks computer. Took half an hour and $117.00 out the door. It works as advertised and I like the integration with the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed a Factory trailer break controller into my 2017 Rebel. No problems except mounting the screws to the bracket. What a pain in the ass that was. Patience is required on those but the rest of it was a piece of cake. I took it to the dealer and had them flash the trucks computer. Took half an hour and $117.00 out the door. It works as advertised and I like the integration with the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How ya doin?
I want to do that as well. Does it come with mount instructions? What do you need to do to the dash area where it goes?
Yes it comes with instructions. You'll have to remove the dash center console section from around your radio/climate controls. There is a wire plug for the factory controller attached to a dummy plug. Disconnect the plug and remove the blank panel and install your new controller with that plug there. Very easy for that part. Mounting the controller box will require the removal of the Knee panel just below the steering wheel. Piece of cake. The hard part is lying on your back trying to start three screws in a very tight area. It's doable but don't drink any alcohol before that part. LOL!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes it comes with instructions. You'll have to remove the dash center console section from around your radio/climate controls. There is a wire plug for the factory controller attached to a dummy plug. Disconnect the plug and remove the blank panel and install your new controller with that plug there. Very easy for that part. Mounting the controller box will require the removal of the Knee panel just below the steering wheel. Piece of cake. The hard part is lying on your back trying to start three screws in a very tight area. It's doable but don't drink any alcohol before that part. LOL!!!
Doesn't sound too awful, ill have to give it shot. Thanks for the reply!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you get the factory controller switch ? my Dealer said the part is not listed in the catalog and he cant order it for the 2017 Rebel ?? do you happen to have part # ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: Just got my truck and need to install the OEM controller. Came with class iv receiver like I'm sure yours did. Is the rear plugs already wired? SO what I'm gathering it's just a matter of buying the controller and plugging it into existing wiring. Is the wiring already there? Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't have factory controller but I bought a Tekonsha. I also bought a prewired pigtail that clips into the harness of the controller and plugs into the existing harness under the dash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know on my wife's jeep it had the hitch etc. But the wire had to be installed with the aftermarket controller. Jeep did not pre-wire them even though it came with the tow package minus the factory controller. It may be the same with the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have factory controller but I bought a Tekonsha. I also bought a prewired pigtail that clips into the harness of the controller and plugs into the existing harness under the dash.
I also did the Tekonsha after looking at what a PITA the factory job would be, plus the additional cost to flash. The Tekonsha works perfectly & plugged right in to the factory harness. Total job was about 15 min.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.