Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any regrets purchasing the air suspension option? I like it because when I want to fit in a parking garage I can lower it down drive in without feeling like I'm going to be sandwiched. Then when I want to drive around again I can let it raise up to a more truck feeling height.

Can anyone share experiences?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Depends where you live, if it gets cold like anything past -10 itll be more headaches than its worth

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends where you live, if it gets cold like anything past -10 itll be more headaches than its worth
I live in Minneapolis and owned a 16 rebel and now a 19, both with air suspension. Absolutely love it and have had no issues. The ride is a noticeable improvement in my opinion. It is awesome for trailering. Back up to your trailer in exit mode, lift it to offroad and walla, you are hooked up to the trailer. Same to unload. Also great if you have to go into a parking garage with low clearance. I literally use the air suspension almost daily. Hope that helps

·
Registered
248 Posts
And I live Canada, only reason I said -10 is because a couple cold nights in November and I'd find the truck sitting on the bump stops in the morning and it wouldn't fix itself until it warmed up sometime in the afternoon, and if it hits -30 you can forget about it the air ride working even the 2019s out here with the "improved" air ride still struggle out here, after two winters with issues I just swapped it to coilovers, I'm just giving him fair warning dont get me wrong when it worked I loved it rode great but after you lose the air in your air ride doing 120 down the highway it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Anyways if you don't have to deal with extreme cold get the air ride it's hard to beat the comfort it provides, if you live in a colder climate save yourself the headache for us up here you could be left without a truck anywhere from 4 to 5 months waiting on back ordered parts cause everyone up here is having issues with these things

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone have any regrets purchasing the air suspension option? I like it because when I want to fit in a parking garage I can lower it down drive in without feeling like I'm going to be sandwiched. Then when I want to drive around again I can let it raise up to a more truck feeling height.

Can anyone share experiences?
Purchased mine in March so only had it a few months, but so far I love the flexibility it offers. Makes it nice in parking garages and really nice when you need to load anything in the bed. It is an added expense both at initial purchase and to maintain, but I do love the so far.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Nj with 2017, no issues with 50k miles. Love it, no regrets. My son has a jeep with same set up, no issues and he loves his as well.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I sure have regrets. I should have purchased when first available. That and a little stronger hemi. All well I'm happy with what I got.
Big Red

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
6 Posts
If you plan on ever using the truck in a cold climate ( -10 to -15 C) the Air suspension will fail you.

I live just outside of Ottawa where the winters are cold but not brutal ( Manitoba has brutal winters) and I have had 4 trips to the dealership for air suspension issues. This includes two full front end collapses and a bunch of errors ( payload to heavy to adjust when the truck is empty is my favorite).

Many of the air folks are purchasing and installing conventional coil at their own expense.

It wasnt an option on my 2018.

And to clarify, the four trips to dealership have been since October 2019.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in alaska, and it's been well below -20F and we have had no problem with our 2019 ram rebel with 4 corner air, not only that my best friend bought a limited with 4 corner air and he has had no problems either. When we bought it, the first truck we drove the air system failed on it on the test drive. I'm guessing you guys just got a bad batch.

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
6 Posts
The bad batch seems to cover from 2016 onwards.

The first two winters I had no issues either. This winter there has been nothing but issues. And sadly, the dealership I go to has several trucks and Grand Cherokees on its lot with air suspension issues.

My advice to anyone living in cold weather would be: go with conventional coil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Chicago and purchased a 2018 Rebel with air ride. The first winter the air ride was fine until the polar vortex came and that caused the truck to be on bump stops. I would put the truck in the heated garage at work and the air suspension would work fine, but after that anytime it would be below 20F the truck would be on bump stops. I had it in the dealer several times and all they would do is replace the 20 amp fuse and the system would work fine. Spring came around and the suspension worked fine, then in this past June the truck would be on bump stops every day. I would have to replace the 20 amp fuse almost every other day. The tech at the dealer told me he tells all his family and friends to stay away from any FCA product with air suspension if you live in colder climates.

After the suspension failed on my three times in a week span when I had it in Michigan for vacation, I traded it in for 2019 Rebel with coil overs. I will never buy another non commercial vehicle with air suspension again. I know that the suspension failing does not happen to everyone, but when or if it does fail it sucks and all the dealers tells you is "sorry we know this is a common problem, but there is no fix for it". My advice would be avoid any potential headache and go with coil over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts