Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on the challenger talk forum about people installing the 6.4L intake and wiring up the variable intake runner controls. Looks like they are gaining 20-25 rear wheel lb/ft in torque throughout the lower rpm ranges from the long intake runners. With a used intake and the necessary sensor/wiring cost should be under $600. Seems like a very cost effective mod for gains where our trucks would benefit from the most. Anybody with experience on a ram with this mod?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
if it does plug and play you will need a tune, add about 600 for a real tune.

So the question is, is 20-25 ft pounds worth the 1.2k

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tuner itself adds up to 28 foot pounds, is 50 ftlbs worth $1200? I would say probably yes, but I will probably go with a supercharger down the road which would make this mod pointless.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, cool. Sounds like an easy cost effective mod that provides gobs of hp/torque. We should all do it....
Performance mods definitely aren't for everyone, but $24/hp is far more cost effective than most mods. A supercharger installed by yourself will still cost you about $65/hp. Condescending replies, although free don't help anybody weather they are looking for more hp or not.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Lol, I was kinda being sarcastic ....lol. Sorry. The torque you mention is all on the low end, and very little of it is usable and will have no bearing on the top end, like a good cam or heads. I'd save the 1.2k for this and put it towards a sc, or cam, or heads, or full exhaust as those gains for the money will net you greater reward and throughout the rpm range as well as on the top end and allow you to pull away from the competitor ....but, as you said, performance mods aren't for everyone and everyone has different theories.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree completely about the gain being mostly lower in the rpm band, I think it would have minimal effect in a racing application. Most guys running that intake are setting it up to switch back to short runner at about 4800 rpm. The additional 5-10% bump in torque from idle up to that point is what garnered my attention. My truck will spend 99% of its life bellow 4800 rpms, so to me adding power there is the goal. Gains at the top end are for racing or bragging rights imho.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer has to prove that the repair issue was caused by the aftermarket part in order to not honor warranty repairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree completely about the gain being mostly lower in the rpm band, I think it would have minimal effect in a racing application. Most guys running that intake are setting it up to switch back to short runner at about 4800 rpm. The additional 5-10% bump in torque from idle up to that point is what garnered my attention. My truck will spend 99% of its life bellow 4800 rpms, so to me adding power there is the goal. Gains at the top end are for racing or bragging rights imho.
You 100% correct 6.4 intake is huge advantage unfortunately for me the 2020 has a vertical throttle body and I have 6 6.4 intakes that I can’t use on this truck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts