Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The computer in the system can run any kind of app that's been ported to it. However, the only available apps for it are music playing apps. That's controlled by FCA and the company that makes it. I doubt FCA will ever offer email via the system. Just consider how dangerous people with cell phones texting are, then move that cell phone further away so they have to stretch a little, and make it even more distracting. I can't imagine any electronics company doing it, either. No company management in their right mind is going to want to assume the legal risks of providing such a distraction, and we know that there are too many idiots on the road that would succumb to it. The soonest it might come close to an offering by FCA would probably be when the truck becomes autonomously driven - in other words when humans don't get to do the driving anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I could see it being implemented when the vehicle is in park

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Agreed. And then some modding genius will figure out how to override that park sensor. :)
Challenge accepted! No really...using the talk to text is a pain enough.

Reactions: johnj

·
Registered
86 Posts
The new GM trucks with rear DVD play video through the front screen, as long as the truck is in park. Having said that, those trucks also have 4G/LTE WiFi as part of OnStar, and if your laptop or iPad is hooked up, there are really no restrictions to what you can watch while in motion. Netflix, Shomi, Facebook, check email, play Minecraft, etc.

I'm guessing FCA will have this within a year or two. Although, yesterday I received the launch info for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, which is the new minivan, and there is no mention of wifi hotspot ability. All kinds of new tech, including UConnect Theatre and 20 speaker audio systems; but no WiFi.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I hate that sort of stuff in the front of the vehicle. I have this feeling that someday we'll all be forced to have self-driving vehicles because too many idiots cause accidents. /frown

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think that service would cost an absolute fortune in Canada. But if your vehicle is your office then I could see some practicality in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
On the GMs, it's part of OnStar. So just like when you pay your monthly fee for monitoring of vehicle functions and whatnot, now you can pay more for the WiFi access. Honestly, I have no idea how much it works out to, because any time I've had a GM demo unit, I get it leased out before the trial period ends.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I can get Wi-Fi in my rebel. Its like $40 a month through u-connect

·
Registered
102 Posts
As cool sa that would be I'm not in my truck enough for the cost but my kids would love it and as ramrebellion said. The cost here in Canada could get crazy but I may look into it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As cool sa that would be I'm not in my truck enough for the cost but my kids would love it and as ramrebellion said. The cost here in Canada could get crazy but I may look into it.
Someone told me before they looked and couldn't find it on Canadian trucks. So may not be available in Canada. I think it's ridiculous cost thus why I don't subscribe.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
FCA has it powered through Sprint. Around us, Sprint has very poor signal. People with Sprint phones are always dropping offline.
Well that's good to know. Sprint is awful where I am too

Q

·
0 Posts
Ok I have a question which I cant seem to figure it out. GM vehicles have onstar what do Ram trucks have, as my auto insurance rep told me if the Ram truck has something that connects to safety like onstar or whatever Ram has I can save 35% on my insurance more for safety etc. vs just 25%.

So do we get anything like that?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ok I have a question which I cant seem to figure it out. GM vehicles have onstar what do Ram trucks have, as my auto insurance rep told me if the Ram truck has something that connects to safety like onstar or whatever Ram has I can save 35% on my insurance more for safety etc. vs just 25%.

So do we get anything like that?
Uconnect...my wife set off my alarm the other day and I got an email with my vehicles location and that the alarm went off within a minute

1 - 18 of 18 Posts