Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at Moe's Performance website. They offer a replacement 87mm throttle body to our OEM. Has anyone installed the 87mm? If so, what are the results? Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I installed one on my 2018 Rebel along with a Vararam intake.
Its not scientific but I'm getting slightly better MPG and acceleration feels quicker.

Could just be that my Butt Dyno needs calibration though.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was really interested in the Vararam until I read the thread about study of the oiled filter intakes vs. regular paper air intakes. (AC Delco clearly the best.) The oiled let much more dirt & grit into your engine. Is it possible to run the Vararam without the oiled filter? Just looking at the shape of the Vararam, I'd think it would be hard to find a filter not made by them for that system. I would like to free up the space under the hood where my intake is situated.

With regard to the throttle body, I'm noticing a definite lag between pressing the gas and get up and go. That's why I'm wondering if bigger is, well, maybe not better but at least a bit more responsive. There's another thread in here about TBs where a 95mm Granatelli Motorsports TB was installed. I couldn't get a read from it about performance though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're looking to decrease pedal lag id look into a Pedal commander or the one made by Banks Engineering. That's literally all it does is remove the built in lag and the signal gets from the pedal to engine quicker.
Obviously I'm speaking in layman's terms. Lol

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're looking to decrease pedal lag id look into a Pedal commander or the one made by Banks Engineering. That's literally all it does is remove the built in lag and the signal gets from the pedal to engine quicker.
Obviously I'm speaking in layman's terms. Lol
Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Additionally, a 'pedal commander' literally renegotiates the electrical/mechanical positioning (of the butterfly) for a 'more' opened valving of the TB. Essentially, the butterfly is opened, 'more' per the request at/of the pedal. Anyone else knows more on this, please chime in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I’m a little late to this feed but I actually have all three of those mods on my 2020 ram rebel. I have the vararam intake with a Moe’s performance 87mm throttle body and pedal commander. I also have a flow master outlaw exhaust. And let me tell you it totally transforms the power delivery of the 5.7 hemi. Obviously not a fuel efficiency mod. You tend to be move much faster with these mods but you can feel the difference. I haven’t had it dyno’d but I’d say it’s at least 50hp/tq difference with no lag especially if your in a sport mode with the pedal commander. If your considering any of these mods you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just looking at Moe's Performance website. They offer a replacement 87mm throttle body to our OEM. Has anyone installed the 87mm? If so, what are the results? Thanks.
Yes I have it installed on my 2020 ram rebel and I do feel like it gives you a great little punch down low in the rev range. I also have the vararam intake, pedal commander and flow mast outlaw exhaust on the truck as well, so that could cloud my judgement. But the throttle body with the last thing I added and I do feel the punch off the line a little harder and maybe a slight improvement at the top end during wide open throttle too, ultimately I do believe it’s better than stock.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I have it installed on my 2020 ram rebel and I do feel like it gives you a great little punch down low in the rev range. I also have the vararam intake, pedal commander and flow mast outlaw exhaust on the truck as well, so that could cloud my judgement. But the throttle body with the last thing I added and I do feel the punch off the line a little harder and maybe a slight improvement at the top end during wide open throttle too, ultimately I do believe it’s better than stock.
OK, thanks. With regard to the pedal, I watched a video yesterday on JMS Pedal Max. Looked to do the job and looked super easy to install. Y'all ever watch videos from Hammerdown Motorsports on You Tube? He had a 2019 white Rebel that he mods in a series of videos. Waterfowler 41 is another on You Tube with a Rebel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know I’m a little late to this feed but I actually have all three of those mods on my 2020 ram rebel. I have the vararam intake with a Moe’s performance 87mm throttle body and pedal commander. I also have a flow master outlaw exhaust. And let me tell you it totally transforms the power delivery of the 5.7 hemi. Obviously not a fuel efficiency mod. You tend to be move much faster with these mods but you can feel the difference. I haven’t had it dyno’d but I’d say it’s at least 50hp/tq difference with no lag especially if your in a sport mode with the pedal commander. If your considering any of these mods you won’t be disappointed.
I would presume this totally negates any warranty on the vehicle? I just reformed after 24 years (USAF) and bought into a warranty for a long haul. It was a warranty that quite frankly has been unbeatable over the last 30+ years I’ve seen. Of that, does that 87mm TB require emissions reprogramming, thus voiding the warranty?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would presume this totally negates any warranty on the vehicle? I just reformed after 24 years (USAF) and bought into a warranty for a long haul. It was a warranty that quite frankly has been unbeatable over the last 30+ years I’ve seen. Of that, does that 87mm TB require emissions reprogramming, thus voiding the warranty?
Not an expert but I'm doubtful they would even know you had the larger throttle body on it.
I had them side by side on my bench and could barely tell the difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7L and when I went to the Moe's website it only shows up to 2019... Did you ask them about compatibility with the 2020 Rebel vs 2019 Rebel? Is the PTB the right unit for 2020??
Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unless your doing some sort of tune in conjunction with the TB and other mods, I don't see it providing too much HP by itself. Possibly better throttle response.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts