Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I love my Rebel. Love an adjustable class-only 4-corner air suspension bags. My concern is reliability/longevity. There are A LOT of working parts in the system if you think about it. Right down to the speed sensor triggering the bags to raise and lower based on truck and driver performance. What do you guys feel about the LONG RUN. I asked my service tech (who knows better than to BS me) how often he see's the air ride come in for work. I know the 4-corner system is not super new. Pretty sure 3-5 years? He has been then quite a while and told me that he cannot recall a single time he has seen any Ram with the air suspension come in for work. Granted the oldest air ride systems on the road are only a handful of years old. What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The oldest air ride systems with automatic load leveling date back to the 1960s. My parents had several Buicks with them when I was a kid. Rambler, Cadillac, Ford, Lincoln, Rolls, and many others used them over the years and still use them. Even Tesla uses them. There are probably millions of vehicles with them on the roads. The thing that's changed the most is the controls - more electronic and automatic each year. The technology is well known and developed. Nothing to fear about them being "new fangled."

They're susceptible to all the same old stuff the rest of the truck is. Rubbing on the air bags is bad, need clearance around them. Punctures are possible. As well as damage from things you run over that can be pushed up under the vehicle, like tree limbs. Exterior rust is not good, just as it isn't good for any other components. Dirt and grit can cause problems. Those are the things you can control most easily. And moisture can get inside if they aren't sealed and filtered properly. (Hence the closed nitrogen system.) Plus there's always the possibility of brain damage (computer control failure). Nothing lasts forever. But as a general rule, air rides are about as reliable as struts and shocks, just more expensive to repair/replace.

If I just had my money back on all the regular shocks and struts (and springs) I've had to replace over nearly 50 years.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is why I have a 7 year no deductible warranty. My Rebel is my first air ride "fullsize" truck and sunroof. Both could be very costly if they fail.

Dealing with heavy equipment, air ride is not new. It's been in heavy trucks for decades. It's not a new technology in consumer vehicles either. johnj covered most of it in his post. The "air" ride in our trucks is a closed nitrogen filled system and is not the same as air ride on a heavy truck which takes it's air from the air brake system.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I did, too. But not because of the air ride. The computers in the truck aren't all covered in the standard warranties. There are thousands of dollars worth of computers, and they are more likely to have problems than the air ride, imo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts