Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Rebel with air ride. I started noticing some softness in the rear end, especially after driving down some rough road for a while. There are a lot of times where expansion joints and large cracks in the road (I'm in Illinois, so all roads are crap) will cause the back end to jump to the right. Anyway I dropped the rear axle today ànd disconnected both rear shocks. The driver's side was pretty weak. I could pretty easily compress with much effort. The passenger side was WAY harder to compress. To the point where I contemplated getting the ratchet straps out to recompress and bolt back up.

So, I started looking for replacement shocks and I cannot find anything except the $230 Bilstein OEM Mopar shocks. Has anyone tried any other shocks, or does anyone know if anyone makes rear shocks for the air ride equiped rebels?

Please don't just suggest to replace the air ride. I like it and it works perfectly. I just want to replace the shocks since I have 62K+ miles and the roads near me are horrible.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The rear shocks are the same as the non-air ride trucks. It seems like the aftermarket thinks that the rear is an air strut like the front. It not, any shock for the same model year will work in the rear.

·
Read Only
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear shocks are the same as the non-air ride trucks. It seems like the aftermarket thinks that the rear is an air strut like the front. It not, any shock for the same model year will work in the rear.
I was thinking the same thing, though I wasn't sure if the "spring" rate would be the same between air ride and coil, and also if there is a concern over extended and compressed lengths on standard coil and air ride vehicles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely not the same spring rate, as air is inherently progressive rate. People want to believe that the manufacturer spent all this time and money custom tuning shocks, they didn’t. It’s the same shock on a 2wd 2dr as a crew cab 4wd. Stock shocks are much like stock speakers, the aftermarket is far superior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you wanna replace the rear shocks with like new take-offs from a newer Rebel, look on EBay right now ! They have a pair of Bilsteins from a 2019 Rebel for $139 complete with free shipping ! I bought a pair a few weeks ago and I’m saving them for later on ! BTW, at my local stealership, they list for $302 each !!! These have the oem part number on them and they are the same for both sides...with the extra fluid reservoir attached!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you wanna replace the rear shocks with like new take-offs from a newer Rebel, look on EBay right now ! They have a pair of Bilsteins from a 2019 Rebel for $139 complete with free shipping ! I bought a pair a few weeks ago and I’m saving them for later on ! BTW, at my local stealership, they list for $302 each !!! These have the oem part number on them and they are the same for both sides...with the extra fluid reservoir attached!
maybe on 2017, but bought a set because you said they fit. They are not even close for 2016 rebel!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
pics of the 2019 shocks compared to 2016
upper mount on newer do not fit 2016, would have to drill larger hole in upper mount and cut sides of washer and bushings to possibly make fit..
so I ordered Bilstein 5160 for 2016 non air suspension truck and they fit perfect ..
25-242393 is the part #

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts