Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, new rebel owner here, i just bought a used 2017 with 79k on it. I see a lot on here about the air suspension failures, but not much on here about what kind of preventative maintenance should be done to prevent failures, Any info is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nothing in the manual about refill, I have 50000 on my 2017 and have had no issues. It is a sealed system. should never need refill or change. of course, if there is a issue that is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nothing in the manual about refill, I have 50000 on my 2017 and have had no issues. It is a sealed system. should never need refill or change. of course, if there is a issue that is.
I'm pretty sure from what I've read is that it's not a sealed system.
There is a port behind the passenger tail light that sucks in air if the system is loosing gas through small leaks etc...
The air that is sucked in contains moisture and then freezes when temperatures drop thus causing issues with the air ride in colder climates.
There is a bunch of good info out there on Youtube and in the FCA Ram Pickup Air Suspension Failure FB Group.

Obviously i'm not an engineer nor mechanic, but I've read and watched quite a few videos out there on people that have had issues with their air suspension.

Knock on wood I haven't had many issues with mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 'Air' Suspension is actually a closed/sealed system which uses nitrogen, not air. There is a detailed factory service procedure for topping up the system. There's a special tool (Tool, Air Suspension Refill 10247B ) to use which is preset to fill the system to 175 PSI. There's no adjustment on the tool so I imagine there's not much wiggle room on the pressure requirement. The procedure also explains the valve cycling that needs to be done at the same time to properly fill the system. (This can be done with AlfaOBD)
The spec for the nitrogen is: Purity Class 5 (99.999% pure)

I would not put air in the system, you are only introducing moisture into a sealed system with valves controlling the 4 corners of the truck. There's a good chance things will corrode from the inside out. The pressure in the system will also be much less stable (w/ temperature) than when filled with nitrogen. No need to add another failure mode to the system....

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
79 Posts
The 'Air' Suspension is actually a closed/sealed system which uses nitrogen, not air. There is a detailed factory service procedure for topping up the system. There's a special tool (Tool, Air Suspension Refill 10247B ) to use which is preset to fill the system to 175 PSI. There's no adjustment on the tool so I imagine there's not much wiggle room on the pressure requirement. The procedure also explains the valve cycling that needs to be done at the same time to properly fill the system. (This can be done with AlfaOBD)
The spec for the nitrogen is: Purity Class 5 (99.999% pure)

I would not put air in the system, you are only introducing moisture into a sealed system with valves controlling the 4 corners of the truck. There's a good chance things will corrode from the inside out. The pressure in the system will also be much less stable (w/ temperature) than when filled with nitrogen. No need to add another failure mode to the system....
its sealed but it will pull in make up air if the system is low. It also has an exhaust valve to let air out if it takes in too much. It comes from the factory filled with Nitrogen and its meant to be sealed and use those tanks above your spare tire, but these systems rarely operate long without having to take in make up air. Like the last guy said that's what causes the issues in cold climates. I pulled my airride so I got pretty up close and personal with all these components, the make up air intake even has a crappy little filter, and is located behind the passenger side tail light if youre ever curious

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd advise to get rid of the vehicle. I have a 2016 Ram Rebel at around 75k miles I started noticing my vehicle would sit at entry and exit height when not in use. Then it would take a little longer to air up to normal. I then received the maintenance air suspension message. Took my vehicle to the dealership and was told both front air bags/ struts need to be replaced. 5k quote and warranty would not cover it. I also live in a warm area with almost no freezing temperatures. Vehicle was a road only vehicle used to commute to work and home. 68232283af 68232282af is the part I needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd advise to get rid of the vehicle. I have a 2016 Ram Rebel at around 75k miles I started noticing my vehicle would sit at entry and exit height when not in use. Then it would take a little longer to air up to normal. I then received the maintenance air suspension message. Took my vehicle to the dealership and was told both front air bags/ struts need to be replaced. 5k quote and warranty would not cover it. I also live in a warm area with almost no freezing temperatures. Vehicle was a road only vehicle used to commute to work and home. 68232283af 68232282af is the part I needed.
I actually looking at buying a 2016 Rebel with 219k miles. The air ride feature was a good point due to my 82yr old father would be able to get in and out easier. I'll make sure my mechanic take a good look at the bags prior to making any offer for the truck. I'm actually on this forum to see what the common issues are and to see if this would be a good investment or just a money pit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts