Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Rebel. Love it. No issues until now. A few days ago I started my truck warning on screen air ride suspension needs attention. comes on also noticed front end was lower then normal but ride on screen said normal. I shut of engine waited a few minutes then started truck noticed front comes up everything good. Started to drive air suspension warning comes back on. Next day take to dealer explained situation they said they would look at it left it there. A few hours they call me said my truck ready found small air leak fix it. pick my truck Height good ride good. This morning after sitting in drive way all night started up truck warning air ride suspension needs attention come back on. turn off truck wait a few minutes start truck back up front end goes up everything good. Drove around all day no warning came on. After backing my truck into my drive way did a walk around my 2018 rebel and notice that the left side of my Rebel lower then right side it about 1 to 2 inches lower on left side then right side. to me that not normal. Taking it back to dealer tomorrow get them to look at it again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear. I have heard about these issues. Knock on wood I have not had any myself with 30k miles. Good luck .

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
24 Posts
If it gets below -15, the system can fail. It is a terrible system for anyone who lives in cold weather. FCA Canada is refusing to acknowledge the problem. The last time I was at the dealership, there were 3 trucks and one Grand Cherokee all down on their front ends. All with air suspension. The service manager advised, he looks at the weather and if its cold, he ll hold techs aside to deal with the onslaught of vehicles.

Have a look through the forums, there is fellow that has all the parts for a conventional coil suspension (Rancho).

Its a **** system in short.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2018 that I bought used 1.5 years ago with 8500 miles and no issues.
Yesterday (44k miles) that air suspension stopped working. Had the same message on the dash screen that air suspension needs immediate service. Truck was dumped to the ground. Checked fuses, relay all ok. Disconnected battery for 1 hour and reconnected.
Air pump started back up and and leveling now works Go figure!!!

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
24 Posts
I have a 2018 that I bought used 1.5 years ago with 8500 miles and no issues.
Yesterday (44k miles) that air suspension stopped working. Had the same message on the dash screen that air suspension needs immediate service. Truck was dumped to the ground. Checked fuses, relay all ok. Disconnected battery for 1 hour and reconnected.
Air pump started back up and and leveling now works Go figure!!!
Will you trust it in the cold weather?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will you trust it in the cold weather?
No. My kids live in Alberta, Canada and every year in the winter the suspension fails. It becomes unusable, and the dealership has fixed it numerous times and still refuses to acknowledge that there's a problem with these trucks.
And it costs thousands of dollars to have it removed. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
24 Posts
No. My kids live in Alberta, Canada and every year in the winter the suspension fails. It becomes unusable, and the dealership has fixed it numerous times and still refuses to acknowledge that there's a problem with these trucks.
And it costs thousands of dollars to have it removed. Does anyone have any ideas?
Well. This whole thread is based on solutions to the air suspension problem. In summary you can:

1. Keep the factory air suspension, continue to pay for repairs and try to fight FCC or FCA. Good luck. FCC/FCA has no interest in resolving the issue. Apparently they have "solved" the problem on 2020-2021 models by replacing defective air bags. My issue wasn't the air bags. It was the compressor and associated valves. I can say that as, on one collapse, I was able to put the truck in a heated garage for 10 hours and return it to normal height. I selected off road, then pulled the fuses for the compressor and ride height sensors. The truck never lost height. If the bags were the issue, they would have leaked. The issue with this solution is, in off road height the truck rides rough and is bouncy. Also, if you go this route, get the truck's alignment done.

2. Remove the factory air, and install after market air. Big money solution.

3. Remove the factory air and instal the rancho conventional coil suspension solution provided by members on the forum. This what I did following the parts list provided "Vshni". I did the work myself and it was approximately 1500 dollars CDN, plus the cost of realignment. This places the ride height at 39", centre of wheel well arc, on each corner. This will level the truck and remove factory rake.

4. Fix the air suspension and sell the truck. I m not trying to be a wise guy here. The issue is, the MOPAR air suspension system does not like cold weather (northern US, Canadian Cold). The first winter, I was fine. The second winter I was mostly fine. Although I found the rear driver's corner always seemed to be a touch lower, but, it other wise adjusted. The third winter, I had three collapses within 2 months. Still under warranty however, we afford these trucks because we work, and running the truck to the dealership constantly is ridiculous. After the third collapse, I sat the height, pulled the fuses and then that summer, removed the air suspension.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please let me know if the attached part list doesn’t work. This has been an issue from day one with this suspension. I’m in the process of switching mine over, not done yet so I can’t give any feedback but here is the part list I’ve put together with prices and where I’m ordering from. If you can do the work yourself it’s a pretty inexpensive alternative to constantly fixing the bs air suspension

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts