Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gathering supplies for my initial oil/filter change. Based on my experience with some new vehicles in the past, removing the oil filter for the first time can sometimes be a PITA. Was wondering how it went on the initial oil/filter change for the Rebel owners here. I could always cave in and let the dealer do the first oil and filter change, but I'd rather not. Thanks for any info/experiences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wondering the same especially as this one is a little tight access-wise. I've taken to letting the dealer do the first and instructing them not to tighten the crap out of it. Maybe others will weigh in.
Side note - my last few have been cartridge type on top - I love those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well mine wasn’t so easy. Basically put an oil strap wrench on it and twisted until the filter began to rip apart, put the strap wrench up higher on the filter and turned slowly until it broke free. Do yourself a favor and hang a plastic garbage bag or something similar over your power steering pump which is directly under the oil filter ... otherwise it’ll get drenched in oil.

Change your oil after a good long drive too so it’ll help flush all the debris out while it’s still suspended in the oil.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I forgot to mention that removing the filter was easy nuff, however the location of it in relation to the front axle and power steering rack can lead to a big mess if youre not careful. Preventing oil from covering the components is the real pain.

After my last oil change i invested in a oil filter relocation kit. Now its easier and i dont have to worry about covering up components so
Ya, that much easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zim ~ would you mind sharing more details about relocating the oil filter, products, where did you relocate it to, did it require more oil during oil changes, etc. Thanks in advance for your input, knowledge and willingness to share.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
No prob, simple kit.
The filter relocation part numer is Transdapt 1127. Got it on eBay for like 80 bucks I think. Once installed it takes PH8A filter, but I use a K&N filter instead, HP 2010.
Don't want to reinvent the wheel here, got my idea from this guy at hemi truck club, and mirrored what he did. --except I used true 1/2 hydraulic hose with better fittings....i will see if I can find the pics, however here, below Is the link where I got my info from....

2014 1500 5.7L Oil filter relocation - Hemi Truck Club

Doesn't take much to install and maybe just a dab more oil, and oil pressure remains same. Only thing that changes is the ease of changing the filter.

Hopefully this doesn't break any forum rules.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Factory filter removed. I won. I always do.

Seriously, there is no need for it to be this tight.

View attachment 21609 View attachment 21617

I went through the same thing today on my first change. Son of a bitches! My filter looked like yours, and I won too.. There is no excuse for this. I was threatening whoever the factory guy was that installed mine the entire time. lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went through the same thing today on my first change. Son of a bitches! My filter looked like yours, and I won too.. There is no excuse for this. I was threatening whoever the factory guy was that installed mine the entire time. lol
Agreed. Changed mine for the first time last week and good Lord it was a beast to get off. At least it wasn't terribly awkward to get to. I've seen way worse in that category.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.