Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent compressor that doesn't need a large storage tank to deliver constant pressure to fill the Rebel's tires. 55 psi takes me forever with my dinky compressor since I need for it to fill up for every tire to just to top them off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For your garage or to carry in your truck? 12VDC or 110VAC? Need it to run from your truck's inverter?

And what size do you have now that is too small?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garage probably but would be nice to have one one that could run off the truck. Looking for options.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well, there's a huge range from the smaller ones that are used to drive nail guns to larger shop units. Your truck will only provide 150W, which is less than 15A of current, through its inverter - the 110VAC receptacle on the dash.

I have an older air compressor, not one of the modern tiny units. It's a bit louder, but it will fill its 10gal tank to 120psi in about 90 seconds, and it outruns me - builds pressure faster than I use it when walking around the truck to top off my tires. The gotcha is that my garage is typical, wired with 20A circuits, and the compressor needs 30A to start under load or generate high pressure. At 120psi it pops the breaker, and if I try to start it when it already has 40psi in the tank, it pops the breaker. I ran a separate 30A circuit in the garage for it long ago, rather than get a less powerful compressor. There's no way it would run off my truck's power.

I would guess, though, that any 90+psi compressor with 3 or more gallons of capacity should be reasonable, you might have a short wait, but not a crazy one, for regen. Turn it on, wait for it to shut off at 80, and start filling. Most run easily under $300.

They also make even smaller ones for trim nailers. About 1 gallon capacity and running on about 3 Amps. Don't know how this compares to what you have. You can get one of those for $150 or less.

If I only wanted the air compressor for pressurizing tires, I'd just fill them at the local gas station for a buck. Or some gas stations have air for free. At most, I'd spend $10 a year on air, and probably a lot less. But if you have any air tools or sprayers, then it makes sense to get a compressor that will keep ahead of your tools, and the tires are a side benefit. I bought my compressor at a farm auction for $20 for running grinders and impact tools. Similar new model would cost around $500.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Really helpful. I have a sub panel in my garage so I could run a dedicated circuit for one if it has a large draw.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That's useful and handy. Mine is in the basement, about 3 feet from the garage, so just had to pierce the garage wall, easy enough for a change. I'm guessing you don't need a real big compressor or you wouldn't have stopped at discussing the tires. So you're probably not going to need an extra circuit unless you just don't have a circuit where you want one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd recommend you stay away from pancake and smaller compressors since it will be constantly running to fill tires. They are great for nail guns but not for anything that uses more than a little air. I have a 8 gallon and that would be the smallest I'd ever get. It runs enough tools to make it useful and runs maybe twice when filling tires. Buy a decent brand too. I have a Campbell Hausfield. I got it on sale at Walmart for half price of $250 including tools, oil, plastic air hose and a reel.

(Edit to fix capacity to 8 gallon)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I can run my 10 gal up to 90+ and shut it off and have more than enough for tire topping. There's a lot to be said for the capacity. But it comes at higher cost and space consumption.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an ARB compressor mounted under the hood of my '03 Wrangler. It's a workhorse and fills the 35's with ease.

I'm thinking of mounting an ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor Kit in the driver side Rambox. Keep an air hose rolled up....this way if I deflate to go on the beach or tow the ATV's to the trails, or simply have low pressure on the Rebel, I can easily rectify the situation.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? Your feedback is appreciated....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an ARB compressor mounted under the hood of my '03 Wrangler. It's a workhorse and fills the 35's with ease.

I'm thinking of mounting an ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor Kit in the driver side Rambox. Keep an air hose rolled up....this way if I deflate to go on the beach or tow the ATV's to the trails, or simply have low pressure on the Rebel, I can easily rectify the situation.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? Your feedback is appreciated....
I am in the same boat on both of these comments (Except my jeep was an 11) and found this setup which is currently my "Goal" for the The rebel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts