Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck came installed with the tri-fold tonneau cover. I purchased and installed the mopar bed extender today. However I am having issues with locking the tonneau cover when the bed extender is flipped inside. The bed extender is interfering with the latch mechanism that locks the tonneau cover. Basically I cannot lock the tonneau cover because the latch needs to be at a complete vertical to lock and unlock and the bed extender only allows for the latch to go 120 degrees.

my question is does anyone else have the factory tonneau cover and bed extender installed on their trucks and having a similar issue?

·
Registered
332 Posts
The first thing I did was install my AMP bed extender and found the same thing. Because the tri-fold tonneau cover latches fold down and cam to the outside the bed extender gets in the way. It's a stupid design for the latching mechanism. As you have found it interferes with the factory bed extender as well. The tonneau on my previous truck had rotating latches so never had any interference with the bed extender.

So now I can't run with my bed extender in and the tonneau cover installed. It's annoying as I use the bed extender a lot. Now I'll have to take the cover off and put it in when I know I'll need it.

It's one of the few complaint I have about my Rebel and it's not about the Rebel itself but an accessory design flaw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be trying a little trick to see if it works. If it does I will post a video and pics of what I did. I got the front latches to clear!!!! I got one little issue with my change but I think i got the solution for it as well. I will try it out this week and if it works then you will be able to set it up yours as well. It's a very simple adjustment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm using the AMP Bed Extender HD from my previous truck. I think the only way I'll get it to work is if I remove the one set of bars. I'm already going to take it apart and shorten the length of it so it sits right on the tailgate when open. It's about 1" too long to sit right.

Grinder cut off wheels are amazing tools. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Circuitjc, what i did was, I pushed the front cross bar (closest to the tailgate) far back enough to clear the bed extender. This worked. The latch comes down 180 degrees and I am able to easily lock and unlock. However the issue now comes when i fold the first section of the tri-fold onto the second section and the two bars touch each other now. So what i am going to do is push the cross bar on the second section to clear the first section and then see how all three fold together. I am hoping this works and if it does then we all have a solution to keep the bed extender locked in and function with the factory tonneau cover.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know the Ford ones can come apart and fold up on either side of the bed if that is what you mean.

Mine does not fold.
2016-03-15 14.24.27.jpg

This is the one for my FX-4 I traded. It was just a little too long to fit perfectly on the tailgate. I fixed it. :cool:

2016-03-15 14.24.09.jpg

The tonneau latches still interfere.

2016-03-15 14.25.56.jpg

Unless I take out the bottom bars on the side which I really don't want to do.

It's ok. It just means I can't leave the extender in the truck all the time with the cover on. The trick will be to remember to take the cover off and put the extender in when I need it. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
circuitjc Thanks for the pics. You just gave me the idea.... i think i will remove one of the cross bars in the second section. I will then be able to fold the first section on top of second section just like your pic. I need to take more pics to help people understand what I am talking about. My apologies. I will work on it on the weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My truck came installed with the tri-fold tonneau cover. I purchased and installed the mopar bed extender today. However I am having issues with locking the tonneau cover when the bed extender is flipped inside. The bed extender is interfering with the latch mechanism that locks the tonneau cover. Basically I cannot lock the tonneau cover because the latch needs to be at a complete vertical to lock and unlock and the bed extender only allows for the latch to go 120 degrees.

my question is does anyone else have the factory tonneau cover and bed extender installed on their trucks and having a similar issue?
I have a 2016 w/out a tonneau cover (plan on ordering one soon) but do have the bed extender. Mine folds flat & is lockable anywhere I need to. The 2015 I remember has curved not straight like mine. Maybe that's the difference. I'm sure one of these guys here would know.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know the Ford factory one splits and folds up along the side between the end of the bed and wheel well. The one for the bed with RAM boxes seems to be able to fold up and be put in slots.

As for mine, I could cut the interfering rails and fab some end caps but I don't want to. I guess another option would be to cut the latches for the tonneau but I don't want to do that either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got my bed extender to work with the factory tonneau cover. The cover has three sections. In the first section closest to the tailgate, I simply moved the cross bar as back as I possibly could which then allowed the latch to clear the bed extender. The second, middle, section has two cross bars, I moved the first one closer to the tailgate only by an inch or two. I did this because when i moved the cross bar back in the first section it would then touch the cross bar on the second section when i fold the tonneau cover preventing it to lay flat. So i moved one cross bar only enough so that when I fold the first section on top of the second section the cross bars allow the sections to fold flat.

No cutting, drilling etc.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i got my bed extender to work with the factory tonneau cover. The cover has three sections. In the first section closest to the tailgate, I simply moved the cross bar as back as I possibly could which then allowed the latch to clear the bed extender. The second, middle, section has two cross bars, I moved the first one closer to the tailgate only by an inch or two. I did this because when i moved the cross bar back in the first section it would then touch the cross bar on the second section when i fold the tonneau cover preventing it to lay flat. So i moved one cross bar only enough so that when I fold the first section on top of the second section the cross bars allow the sections to fold flat.

No cutting, drilling etc.
Glad you figured something out!:cool:

The AMP BedextenderHD is square (which is why I like it). I don't think I could move that bar far enough to make mine fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I asked AMD and they have some accessories that will allow their bed extender to work with tonneau covers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
i tend not to haul a lot so i might not need the extender, i have noticed that when i opened my cover for the first time and re-connected it that it seems to not be as solid to the truck as it was before i opened it. Maybe user error for me ahah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts