Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Rebel with the 5.0 uconnect. It wasn't going to be a deal breaker for me if i didn't get the 8.4. After having it for a couple of months now, the dash looks boring and blah. I looked into the Alpine x009-Ram to replace the stock system. This alpine system is a monster. Has anybody heard good things about it?; anyone install it? Below is link for their website.

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ram-navigation-x009-ram?utm_source=2013-up_ram-1500&utm_medium=standard&u tm_term=x009-ram&utm_content=alpineusa&utm_campaign=RestyleMyTruck

alpine-x009.jpg

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
No sir...hopefully someone has...haven't seen anything in the forum that I can remember.

·
Registered
276 Posts
looks insane right?
Hmm, looks ok, but at that price i'd be expecting amps and vastly superior speakers and wiring, even at $2200 that's way too much for me

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Even for $2200. I don't know what the 8.4 cost in my Rebel, so I can't compare as an option. And I don't know what your 5.0 is missing compared to the 8.4. Our 8.4 systems have just about everything listed in the ad.

With that said, $2200 for a music system and GPS combo is a lot of money if it's not already built into the vehicle price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw one person had it installed I believe on ramforumz.com where they replaced the 5.0 system. I think the cost is way to expensive for just the headunit, granted it does control more than the stereo but for that price it better come with some more upgrades as well: speakers, amp, etc.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Guess what I'm saying is most Rebels come with the 8.4 and there are only a couple of features different:

• Tire pressure monitor - we have that already in the dash cluster so this is redundant.
  • Simultaneous nav and music info display - don't see the need?
  • Sharing stuff with facebook. (really?)
  • Customizable short-cuts... Menus on the 8.4 are pretty shallow for most stuff. Not seeing any big advantage.
  • Dual zone video control - don't have anyone in the backseat usually - only twice in 9 months. Maybe useful to guys hauling kids around a lot. If they don't already have their own cell phones. Heheh.
  • Don't need digital optical sound output because I can't see sound anyway. :)
So $2200 is a huge investment for nada if we have the 8.4, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All makes sense. The only Rebel in my Neighborhood was with the 5.0 without nav; so i bought it:). So i am looking for an upgrade from the boring old satellite radio only. I appreciate you comments. If i wait long enough other options should come along or the price should drop on this considerably. I am looking to upgrade before the summer because, while the gas is still cheap, me and my wife are gonna drive cross country with it. Could use the nav to assist in our travels for when the cell signal craps out.
Thanks again

·
Registered
102 Posts
The factory 8.4 has some cliches with its set up and the price, installed from the dealer, is roughly the same.
This one is only $450 with free shipping. You can probably install yourself. Worst case the dealer may have to activate or program something once installed but I would think that should only be an hour labor. Navigation may be another cost but I am pretty sure it is navigation ready. I didn't get navigation for mine because I couldn't justify the extra $500-600 or whatever it was.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
[QUOTE="KCAZOFAI, post: 8235, member: 424"Could use the nav to assist in our travels for when the cell signal craps out.
Thanks again[/QUOTE]
You can get a current model GPS like a Garmin for $70-$80 with all your maps. It's GPS-only, doesn't need cell tower at all. That's a hell of a lot cheaper option and you move it to other vehicles later if you wish. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bought my Rebel with the 5.0 uconnect. It wasn't going to be a deal breaker for me if i didn't get the 8.4. After having it for a couple of months now, the dash looks boring and blah. I looked into the Alpine x009-Ram to replace the stock system. This alpine system is a monster. Has anybody heard good things about it?; anyone install it? Below is link for their website.

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ram-navigation-x009-ram?utm_source=2013-up_ram-1500&utm_medium=standard&u tm_term=x009-ram&utm_content=alpineusa&utm_campaign=RestyleMyTruck

View attachment 1128
I like it but not enough to buy it for that much. I'm pretty satisfied with the setup I've got right now. Except for not being to adjust the Ac/ for both sides. That's the one downside.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
All would have been easier to just get a truck with 8.4 IMO

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a real nice unit. I am not technical installer but I have always dropped money (wasted) on audio video installs in each of my many cars. It would be the very first thing I would do when I bought cars. My two cents - for you this would be a big upgrade if you decide to move forward with it. The 8.4 uconnect is a great unit. Though it could have been a lot less cumbersome. What I mean is that when you look at the screen a lot seems to be going on. Aftermarket units are usually more refined with their functionality.

However, with this particular unit and the difference it will make for you vs the 5" inch screen will be a world of the difference. But with any aftermarket install you need to confirm if the unit is plug and play, do you need adapters or cut the factory wires to connect to the factory harness. Whenever you start cutting into the factory setup your warranty is automatically voided. Now if something is to go wrong, the dealerships default response will be to say the problem is coming from the aftermarket install. Albeit they didn't diagnose anything but it will be their default response. I have had experience with this time and time again. If it is a simple replacement by removing the current head unit, perhaps cut the molding only to fit the new head unit and most importantly it connects to the existing wiring harness then you should be fine.

The cost in my opinion is not your real issue. It is cheap compartively. Any simple upgrade to audio installation at a reputable installer will be at minimum $2,500. My worry is how it will impact your warranty.

Also I would wait until the factory unit with Apple AirPlay comes out. I would simply upgrade to that factory unit and hope it's plug and play with the factory harness.

Hope I am making sense here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you replace the head unit what happens to any on screen environmental controls? Do the aftermarket use the CANBUS system to interface with the rest of the vehicle still? I've always been curious since vehicle systems have become more and more integrated.

At least the Rebel/1500 has physical buttons to control the majority of environmental functions but how would you know what the temperature is set to? Things like that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a real nice unit. I am not technical installer but I have always dropped money (wasted) on audio video installs in each of my many cars. It would be the very first thing I would do when I bought cars. My two cents - for you this would be a big upgrade if you decide to move forward with it. The 8.4 uconnect is a great unit. Though it could have been a lot less cumbersome. What I mean is that when you look at the screen a lot seems to be going on. Aftermarket units are usually more refined with their functionality.

However, with this particular unit and the difference it will make for you vs the 5" inch screen will be a world of the difference. But with any aftermarket install you need to confirm if the unit is plug and play, do you need adapters or cut the factory wires to connect to the factory harness. Whenever you start cutting into the factory setup your warranty is automatically voided. Now if something is to go wrong, the dealerships default response will be to say the problem is coming from the aftermarket install. Albeit they didn't diagnose anything but it will be their default response. I have had experience with this time and time again. If it is a simple replacement by removing the current head unit, perhaps cut the molding only to fit the new head unit and most importantly it connects to the existing wiring harness then you should be fine.

The cost in my opinion is not your real issue. It is cheap compartively. Any simple upgrade to audio installation at a reputable installer will be at minimum $2,500. My worry is how it will impact your warranty.

Also I would wait until the factory unit with Apple AirPlay comes out. I would simply upgrade to that factory unit and hope it's plug and play with the factory harness.

Hope I am making sense here.
Thank you so so much for your valuable input and insight. I understood completely your stance and it truly made sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you replace the head unit what happens to any on screen environmental controls? Do the aftermarket use the CANBUS system to interface with the rest of the vehicle still? I've always been curious since vehicle systems have become more and more integrated.

At least the Rebel/1500 has physical buttons to control the majority of environmental functions but how would you know what the temperature is set to? Things like that.
this unit is plug and play. It will do everything the factory unit does but with easy and clarity; including the rear back up camera

1 - 20 of 39 Posts