Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
They may have gone thru the skid plate and attach to the frame that way from what I can tell. Tough pic to see it in.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Better pic.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is a trailfx, I checked their site, no rebel models listed. You may want to contact them for further information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks I'm going to look into it, I think it looks good how the bull bar follows the same lines as the grill. Perfect match in my opinion.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes a great match. I was looking everywhere for this then I gave up and went with my bush bar.

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ya I haven't seen a bolt on of any kind yet. The holes that u have to cut aren't very big and a lot of ppl just won't do it but I'm glad that I did.

Here is mine for anyone interested...

Dee Zee® - Euro Style Grille Guard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so if I order this bull bar for the ram 1500 SLT, it will fit on the rebel by just cutting the skid plate correct? I just want to be clear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to do this, and have no issue cutting the skid plate if that's all that is needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so if I order this bull bar for the ram 1500 SLT, it will fit on the rebel by just cutting the skid plate correct? I just want to be clear.
I'm going to do this, and have no issue cutting the skid plate if that's all that is needed.
From my understanding of it, which I admit isn't all that vast, the majority of bull/grill guards that fit Ram 1500s will work on the Rebel, HOWEVER they will all require some form of cutting into the skid plate. Some more cutting than others. My local shop and I have called nearly every manufacturer there is and all of them say the same thing, their guards are not compatible with the Rebel due to the skid plate. However, if you're willing to cut it can be done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It seems very low. It almost looks like it would affect your clearance. It just doesn't look right on the rebel. Maybe mounted higher it would.

·
Registered
952 Posts
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It looks low because the plate is on an angle to the ground. These pics were before painting, touch up any exposed metal after the cut. The rust in this pic is from off roading and before painting.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you have a tablet, take it to your shop and show them a picture of mine. If not try and print a couple of my pics from the underneath, the whole set can be found in my gallery here. The carid page where I bought mine from has a great instruction book that shows pics of the installation, look it up and show the shop the pics of the "with/tow hooks" set. Lastly, the top bracket needs to be modified slightly to reach the light biezels where they attach the top grill bracket to. I was like you, very Leary of cutting up my new truck! You have to be able to trust your shop guys. It can be cut with a grinder but a torch or plasma cutter is better. My shop did not remove the skid plate to cut it. The parts supplied are not all needed. The actual cuts into the skid plate are only 1/4" X 3" so not very big at all. Make sure to touch up the edges of the cut to prevent rusting. I also could not do the work myself, with my old airborne back injury not allowing me to bend anymore. But that's another story, hehe. The end result for me was so worth it, it makes the whole front end have attitude. I followed the install up with applying plasti dip to black out the skid plate, 2 coats, figuring that if I didn't like it I could peel it off, and I just love the whole front end blacked out. The whole install from my shop guys took about 3 hours as they went really slow having never done anything like this before and it wasn't quite the fit advertised, top bracket mod. All in all I would not hesitate to do it again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Also, anytime you are working structurally or with frame components, insist on grade 8 nuts and bolts. They are the strongest.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The only issue I have is that the bull bar is lower than the front bumper. It can affect your offroading. Your approach angle is effected because it adds 6 or more inches to the front end. Normal Rebel approach angle is 21.9°. Without a good side view, it's hard to measure, but I would guesstimate that angle will drop to around 16°. May not matter if you're not intending to offroad.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Very true johnj, as can be seen in my pic the part that hangs down can get you hung up. As evidence by the paint and rust on the frame rail bracket coming thru the skid plate.
This saved my skid plate from getting scratched up tho. And did its job in my opinion, to take the wear and tear with a $274 part rather than hurting the truck. It does restrict me by giving it a bigger approach angle to climbing over things, but, that may keep me in check. That way I can't push it past the limits of my own stupidity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, if I am off road and end up rubbing the bull bar then I am dangerously close to rubbing the skid plate. The Bull Bar can be removed/repainted if necessary and it could save other more expensive damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts