Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been in the market look at Ram Rebels. Throughout the years, I've been told over and over again...never buy a Dodge/Ram!

Growing up, my dad swears by Toyota, Honda, and even ford! He would say that Rams will last for a little, before they start having all sorts of problems.

Do you find that to be true? Have you guys had problems?

I absolutely lovvvvvveeee the Ram Rebel look and capability, but I'm contemplating getting a tundra or a f-150 so that I can have a vehicle that will last. I really need something that I can keep for 10+ years and put well over 200K miles on it.

Thanks,

Caleb

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've never had a problem with any of my Mopars, neither has my Father and he had a 94 Ram with 500,000 miles on in before the transmission died. Any car truck or bike will break eventually its how you maintain it that will make it last forever.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine has been at the dealership with a long list of issues for almost 2 weeks. I talked to them today, and it'll be at least another week and a half.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've know a guy who got 2 Toyota lemons in a row for 2 different issues. Doesn't matter what brand you get now a days.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Been to the dealership twice in 12 months. The day I bought it, and the day I took it in for that rear axle recall inspection, a one-hour visit. So far, as reliable as anything I've ever owned. And more reliable than the Toyota Camry we had which leaked oil nearly from the day we got it and which got a new seal every 6-8 months until I got sick of Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
7 months in, 11k miles. No lights, noises, rattles, quirks, or concerns. Just crawled under the front to look at the bumper mounting points for painting... bone dry underneath. This generation Ram came out in 09 so its safe to say they have had time to work out most bugs. I worked Chrysler service for years and the Rams were usually only in for maintenance except for the cam issues they had a few years ago with the Hemis. However, no vehicle is perfect. I worked for Toyota as well, and they had their fair share of problems occasionally (yes even brand new blown engines). But this is my second 4th gen Ram, and they both have given me less trouble than my Challenger and Dart.

Regardless, if it's a truck you want to keep for a long time, get the Maxcare lifetime warranty from Mopar. It's almost a bumper to bumper warranty (minus wear items) with rental and trip interruption. Factory parts, unlimited mileage as long as you keep it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Rebel is very new so I can not speak to it's reliability, so far so good though. My previous truck was a 4X4 '96 regular cab SLT short bed, 111,000 miles really no issues to speak of. A great truck - still have it. The truck before that was an '84 Toyota pick up about 70,000 miles when I gave it to my son when he turned 16, he still has that truck. I would have to say both the Toyota and Dodge were about the same in regard to problems, very few with either. But I used the Dodge as a daily driver for 8 years longer. I was not seriously in the market for a new truck but the Rebel, a 2016 model, was such a screaming deal I had to go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with just about 310,000 miles on it, and the motor hasn't even been opened up yet with the exception of replace the timing chain cover. It still pours like a kitten. I bought it brand new with 30 miles on it. I am now looking in to the Rebel to place it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Even the Dakotas were reliable. I had a 2000 4WD, with the 4.7L in it. I got it used with light mileage but rust already forming, and it got used to haul a lot of light loads and as a spare driver when one of our regular vehicles was in the shop. I just got rid of it last year with 150k miles on it, with a bit more rust on it but fine otherwise. Heater core rusted out at 125k miles, power steering hose blew at 110k. When the dash was off, I replaced the A/C core at the same time. Never had an engine or tranny repair on it, never got towed, ran like a clock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I ha
Even the Dakotas were reliable. I had a 2000 4WD, with the 4.7L in it. I got it used with light mileage but rust already forming, and it got used to haul a lot of light loads and as a spare driver when one of our regular vehicles was in the shop. I just got rid of it last year with 150k miles on it, with a bit more rust on it but fine otherwise. Heater core rusted out at 125k miles, power steering hose blew at 110k. When the dash was off, I replaced the A/C core at the same time. Never had an engine or tranny repair on it, never got towed, ran like a clock.
I had an 07 with 100k miles on it, put a turbo on it at 85,000 and it still ran great after. Kinda miss that thing haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a 2000 Off-Roadster (Ram-1500 special edition), when I sold it in 2009 had about 120k on it, all I had done to it was Oil Changes, filters, battery and tires, never even had to tune it up. The paint was kind of shot, but other than that it ran great.
But as other people have said, your experiences will vary. Over the past 40 years of driving I have owned 15 or so vehicles and some have been lemons some have been awesome. (Worst was my 1984 dodge daytona turbo after a year of repairing it traded it in on a 4-Runner)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '99 V8 Ram 1500 had 295k when I got rid of it 2 years ago. 17 mpg the day I bought it, 17 mpg the day I sold it. Had to replace the tranny at about 180k, but nothing else major. Was a recovering Ford-a-holic - '89 1 ton dually, '76 250, and married into a Northern Indiana farm family who all worked at Chrysler. Got the family discount and the rest is history.....
I should mention that most of the miles were in and around Phoenix AZ. Out there you get used to changing the oil every 3k. I firmly believe that is why it lasted so long and stayed so strong.
Current owner of a '17 Mohave Sand Rebel......simply the finest vehicle I have owned. Do it my friend. Love it and baby it and it will last you forever!!
IMG_1716.JPG

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I love these questions. It's like going to a nice restaurant with a really nice menu and asking the waiter what their favorite meal is at the establishment, the waiter tells you, you end up ordering their favoriate meal, only to complain that it wasn't that good and you didn't enjoy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's what i got (keep in mind i leave in an unfriendly environment for any cars.. -30C winters)

My 2014 sport: 3 years 50k

Year 1: blown AC condenser, replaced
Year 3: Rear Cam issue, replaced
Year 3: blown transmission... was bumping everytime when downshifting, they changed the valve body first, no changes. (i drive like an old lady most of the time)

that's why i traded for the Rebel

So far so good but , God i hate that transmission... many hesitations and bumps. And since i changed for a magnaflow, i can hear those on top on feeling them.

And in my case, "Brace yourself, winter is coming" i hope everything will be alright with the air suspension

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thank it Doesn't matter what brand you get now a days. its what you were rises with my dad all mopar so I am all mopar but truthfully just what you like in a truck .

·
Registered
62 Posts
So far I have A Whipple supercharger, amp side steps, tailgate dampener, front bumper light bar, remote oil filter and cooler, Lower control arms and Panhard bar. love the truck before and after the mods no problems

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
266 Posts
1962 dodge m100 slant 6 3 on the tree
1995 neon
1997 neon
1997 stratus
1998 intrepid
2005 stratus
1999 ram 318 short box
2003 hemi quad cab
1982 w150
2020 rebel

I’ve owned many old cars, but I happen to be the guy who usually buys it with problems, fixes them, and drives them for 50k plus before getting bored and want something different.
All the Chevy I’ve had have been hit or miss as well, dodge is notorious for cheaply made interiors and bodies. The new style they went all-out with quality.
engine and driveline-wise, I don’t think ford could even compete. Our work trucks are all new fords because their cheap, and they are alwaysgetting work done.

I’ve been pretty die hard dodge my whole life so I won’t touch a Ford,might not mind a Toyota, but dodge really to me has a truck built to work hard and play hard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think with your past vehicle purchases you have a good grasp on quality. however things change year to year I do love my Rebel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts