Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Rebel with less than 30k miles, the dealership has literally replaced my backup camera 4 times... It's no longer under warranty and will cost $400 for what they call a fix, put a new camera on that will last 6 months with a 2 year "Parts" warranty. They've told me that it's an issue from the factory that it needs a gasket, yet they just install new cameras? Anyone else have this issue? Scrambled screen, green screen, black screen, I even had it take a picture of what was behind me and show that image the next time I reversed... Then, it just works like nothing happened.... Please, I'm tired of the dealership, and now that it's no longer under warranty, I'm not wanting to spend that money if I can avoid it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 rebel with same issue. I found that opening / closing tail gate or a little pressure on tail gate gets camera function back. I think it could be the cable that runs in the channel at the bottom of the tail gate; it flexes every time the tail gate is opened and from wear there could be a short. I have not been to the dealer yet, I'm waiting for it to happen again so i can get pictures not only of the screen but a video of the cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 rebel with same issue. I found that opening / closing tail gate or a little pressure on tail gate gets camera function back. I think it could be the cable that runs in the channel at the bottom of the tail gate; it flexes every time the tail gate is opened and from wear there could be a short. I have not been to the dealer yet, I'm waiting for it to happen again so i can get pictures not only of the screen but a video of the cable.
I really don't open the tailgate all that often, and honestly I don't drive it all that often either... I drive my work truck all day, and use my Rebel to pick up the kids from daycare and on the weekends may drive a couple hours. I'll check the cables though it's just becoming a headache, the only issue I have with the truck. Just think for the amount I paid, should be a better solution...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 and am on my 4th camera. With the truck on turn on the camera from the info center then go to the tailgate and move the camera with a light thumb pressure. If that doesn’t work open and close the tailgate. I read that someone believes it’s a bad connection where the 7 pin connector is under the bed. I could not get mine apart to check it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2017 and am on my 4th camera. With the truck on turn on the camera from the info center then go to the tailgate and move the camera with a light thumb pressure. If that doesn’t work open and close the tailgate. I read that someone believes it’s a bad connection where the 7 pin connector is under the bed. I could not get mine apart to check it
Sweet, thanks, I'll try that too... The next time anyway, just randomly started working again today....🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 5 of 5 Posts