Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have a 2017 Rebel and got the BDS 4" kit installed. Shortly after, I started hearing a metal rotational grinding noise coming from underneath my front end. It originally sounded like a brake caliper rubbing because it gets faster with speed. Took it to the dealer and they used chassis ears and told me the sound was coming from the front differential. They said that, because of the lift, the front CV axles were at too much of an angle and putting stress on the front differential causing rubbing. I thought the differential drop bracket compensated for the angles. Anyway, I bought some heavy duty CV axles off of Summit Racing thinking they may have more range of motion than stock and would stress the differential less. I was wrong. The noise is back and I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check your wheel bearings. My truck ran great when the lift was first installed than I noticed a slight vibration and could hear some faint noise occasionally. I don’t believe the shop that installed my lift properly torqued the cv shafts nuts which is your wheel bearing torque. Both my wheel bearings failed. I had them both replaced and problem fixed.

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
17 Posts
So, Toyota tacomas have the same issue after lifting. The culprit is almost always the axle bearing at the differential. For the Tacos the rubbing is evident at the 35 kph to 50 kph range. So, maybe the same issue? Too much angle on the diff end?

Just guessing.

The solution for the Taco was remove the factory bearing and put in an aftermarket bushing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts