Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I own a 2015 ram rebel. Most everything about my truck I love. I use my truck to travel through beach trails to get to great beach surf fishing areas. My first time with this truck in Rhode Island through the sand trails was disappointing. Let me say I have owned many 4x4 trucks and used them to pass through the same Sand trails. My newer Ram Rebel needed to have the tires reduced to 17 psi. Also traction control must be OFF. Common things to do in any 4x4. After tracking through the well traveled beach sand trails I returned to a camp site nearby. I was needing to re fill my tires to an unheard of 52 lbs of pressure. ( takes forever). When I opened the hood to attach the compressor cables I noticed SAND EVERYWHERE!!! As a friend looked on to see my new air compressor he began to laugh at all the sand that was all over the motor and on everything under the hood. So disappointed to see this mess. This new 50-k truck had failed where many cheap trucks did well. There is a lower plate below the motor that acts as a shovel to draw Sand up into the fan to toss all over under the hood. I will now have to add a skid/deflector plate to prevent this problem. THX. RAM FOR NOT THINKING !! ITS OK. I WILL FIX IT. SCOTT.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is obviously the 1st truck you've owned that comes with LT tires. All LT tires run higher pressures the standard passenger tires. The pressures should also be 45 Front, 55 Rear.

As for the sand... Depending on how hard you're playing that sand will go every where! I haven't been in my Rebel but in a Jeep I ran, I swear, the engine bay had enough sand in there to build a McMansion of a sand castle! The more aggressive the tread of the tire, the more sand gets thrown.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Im guessing you want a sealed engine compartment? Sand gets into everything my friend. Last year i drove tru some sand with the ford edge awd and i swear i had sand in my ears when it was all said and done. And ya, the engine bay was covered in sand.

On a lighter note, the pics you show with sand isnt that bad. Sounded a lot worse. Some compressed air and blow it all out.
Double side note you probably didnt need to let any air out of your tires.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The pictures look like you may have caught a little air and nosed in bottoming out the front suspension. What ride height were you using? I run the beach and have not had that issue with my Rebel. Have seen it on other trucks and Jeeps though. How fast were you running? Yes it does take a long time to air back up. Is this the first time for your Rebel on the beach, I see it is a 2015 or have you had it on the beach and not had the under hood sand issue? For airing down I have some fittings, can't remember who makes them, a couple inches long that screw onto the valve stems and let the tires down to 17 lbs. Speeds up the process, they are a set of 4 so all tires are airing down at once. The truck goes fine at this pressure and I am reluctant to run them any softer with the stiff side wall - don't want to break the bead. I run my '96 Ram with "normal truck tires" at 32 around town and 14 or so on the beach. If you are that wound up about airing up perhaps get some new wheels and tires that run lower pressure or trade for another truck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
[QUOTE="zim, post: 112193, member: 31361" Double side note you probably didnt need to let any air out of your tires.[/QUOTE]

The sand where I am is really dead. Without airing down the trucks will go but work hard doing it. I know in some areas the sand is "stiffer" and hard tires work fine, even here on the island some beaches the don't require airing down. Can't tell you how many rental Jeeps we have found buried and are running hard tires. Most times by letting the tires down into the teens the stuck folks just can drive out after. YMMV :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is obviously the 1st truck you've owned that comes with LT tires. All LT tires run higher pressures the standard passenger tires. The pressures should also be 45 Front, 55 Rear.

As for the sand... Depending on how hard you're playing that sand will go every where! I haven't been in my Rebel but in a Jeep I ran, I swear, the engine bay had enough sand in there to build a McMansion of a sand castle! The more aggressive the tread of the tire, the more sand gets thrown.
So Chopper , I am not a 20 year old kid. I spend my late summer weekends on the beach surf fishing. Many many hours driving through all types of sand. As I stated I have had many different 4x4 vehicles and have traveled the Same trails for 30+years. NEVER have I encountered sand all over my engine compartment after a short trip through the beach trails. This truck Failed under soft conditions. As for tires, you let the air out 15 -18 lbs. if you don't you will overheat and work your motor far more than needed. It's hard to take advice from a guy who has the tire front and back pressures backwards. Also the high pressure was just a side note, 30+ years of beach travel means every tire from passenger car tires to 40" super swampers. I will fabricate a skid plate before returning to the beach. I only wish my high priced truck came prepared. Thanks for responding, I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im guessing you want a sealed engine compartment? Sand gets into everything my friend. Last year i drove tru some sand with the ford edge awd and i swear i had sand in my ears when it was all said and done. And ya, the engine bay was covered in sand.

On a lighter note, the pics you show with sand isnt that bad. Sounded a lot worse. Some compressed air and blow it all out.
Double side note you probably didnt need to let any air out of your tires.
Where I live you let the air out. First off you will butcher the back trails if you run full tires,you will make washboard ruts, also your motor will over heat and struggle to pull through soft sand. As for a sealed engine compartment, my post was to show how a short trip through easy trails at low speeds had produced lots of sand all around the engine bay. This truck Failed at this small task. As I stated many other trucks I have owned over 30+years in the same trails Never had this problem. This time of year I am traveling through the trails with family and kids, not running the Baja 500. If I spent a few days with the guys chasing fish up and down the beach in the fall the sand would be packed under the hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE="zim, post: 112193, member: 31361" Double side note you probably didnt need to let any air out of your tires.
The sand where I am is really dead. Without airing down the trucks will go but work hard doing it. I know in some areas the sand is "stiffer" and hard tires work fine, even here on the island some beaches the don't require airing down. Can't tell you how many rental Jeeps we have found buried and are running hard tires. Most times by letting the tires down into the teens the stuck folks just can drive out after. YMMV :)[/QUOTE]
It's nice to know others have traveled through the same type sand. I have also helped many people to understand the benefits of airing down. In Massachusetts I was given a warning on the Beach when a warden found my tires at 18lbs. I had wandered off and he left a note. Air these tires down to 15 lbs. or we will revoke your $150. Oversand permit. ( tires were 31-10.50 BF Goodrich all terrain on a Toyota mini pickup). People take it serious where I live and travel. Thx. Cheers!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pictures look like you may have caught a little air and nosed in bottoming out the front suspension. What ride height were you using? I run the beach and have not had that issue with my Rebel. Have seen it on other trucks and Jeeps though. How fast were you running? Yes it does take a long time to air back up. Is this the first time for your Rebel on the beach, I see it is a 2015 or have you had it on the beach and not had the under hood sand issue? For airing down I have some fittings, can't remember who makes them, a couple inches long that screw onto the valve stems and let the tires down to 17 lbs. Speeds up the process, they are a set of 4 so all tires are airing down at once. The truck goes fine at this pressure and I am reluctant to run them any softer with the stiff side wall - don't want to break the bead. I run my '96 Ram with "normal truck tires" at 32 around town and 14 or so on the beach. If you are that wound up about airing up perhaps get some new wheels and tires that run lower pressure or trade for another truck.
The sand trails are traveled heavy this time of year thus building up mounded berms on the corners. The sand is also a course large grain sugar. You sink deeper in summer with not much rain. Perhaps ran through a little faster than needed. Height setting was "Off Road". The truck is new for me bought in early spring with 12-k on it. As stated I love the truck just got very frustrated when I opened the hood. I have traveled these trails for 30+years in many types of 4x4s. Never had this problem. I will fabricate a skid plate before returning to the beach, and will spend the time filling the stock tires, they look and ride great!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would try not airing down so much. It sounds like you might not have a choice, but I would try going down to 25psi and see how that works. I enjoy driving in the sand, but I stick with the stock air pressure because the nearest gas station from where I go is 14 miles away, and the cheap compressor I have would take forever to fill up the tires. I'm very impressed with how the Rebel does in the sand, and after running in the sand I was also very happy to see that the air box was sand free. I agree what it does seem like it is pretty easy for sand, and mud to get under the hood, but as long as that stays out of the engine I'm not to worried about it.
Sand Vehicle Automotive tire Car Natural environment

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would try not airing down so much. It sounds like you might not have a choice, but I would try going down to 25psi and see how that works. I enjoy driving in the sand, but I stick with the stock air pressure because the nearest gas station from where I go is 14 miles away, and the cheap compressor I have would take forever to fill up the tires. I'm very impressed with how the Rebel does in the sand, and after running in the sand I was also very happy to see that the air box was sand free. I agree what it does seem like it is pretty easy for sand, and mud to get under the hood, but as long as that stays out of the engine I'm not to worried about it. View attachment 18705
Love seeing that beach pic. I did first run tires at 25 psi exactly! With poor results. On this first trip out I had 5 people in my truck and a bed full of gear. I am headed to the same spot this weekend and will post area pics as well as a newly added plate to cover the gaping space between bumper and sub frame, also built a rear rack to carry the many surf fishing rods that I bring. Thx Scott.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skeegan - the off road setting is just for additional clearance if you need the clearance fine BUT it limits your shock/suspension travel, could that be part of the issue? On bumpy roads when I put the truck in off road the ride gets choppy over bumps. On another note I live on a dirt road and was under the hood the other day checking things and was pleased to note how little dirt and water splash was on the engine and engine compartment and I have not had the sand issue. Usually after a year of up and down my road things are pretty dirty. Does your truck have the factory skid plates, I think they are an option? If not perhaps that is the difference. Hope your new "sand guard" does the job.

Edit another thought when you turn off your ESC are you holding it for 15 seconds or better to turn it all the way off? First time out I did not and if you just hit the button briefly it does not deactivate the brake function of the ESC and when it began to slip a little it caused some front end dive and caused a bit of a thunk when it did that. Next time turned it all the way off and it was a much better ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where I live you let the air out. First off you will butcher the back trails if you run full tires,you will make washboard ruts, also your motor will over heat and struggle to pull through soft sand. As for a sealed engine compartment, my post was to show how a short trip through easy trails at low speeds had produced lots of sand all around the engine bay. This truck Failed at this small task. As I stated many other trucks I have owned over 30+years in the same trails
Skeegan - the off road setting is just for additional clearance if you need the clearance fine BUT it limits your shock/suspension travel, could that be part of the issue? On bumpy roads when I put the truck in off road the ride gets choppy over bumps. On another note I live on a dirt road and was under the hood the other day checking things and was pleased to note how little dirt and water splash was on the engine and engine compartment and I have not had the sand issue. Usually after a year of up and down my road things are pretty dirty. Does your truck have the factory skid plates, I think they are an option? If not perhaps that is the difference. Hope your new "sand guard" does the job.

Edit another thought when you turn off your ESC are you holding it for 15 seconds or better to turn it all the way off? First time out I did not and if you just hit the button briefly it does not deactivate the brake function of the ESC and when it began to slip a little it caused some front end dive and caused a bit of a thunk when it did that. Next time turned it all the way off and it was a much better ride.
yes I tried just letting a little air out and found it didn't run well so I brought it down to 17lbs. Your off road setting control was a great point. The truck does have the factory skid plates and after much research I found nothing available for my needs. Also your knowing that the ESC. can be turned off shows reading the manual has many more options than just hitting buttons on the dash. Thx Scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually I learned about fully turning off the ESC in a post on this board by Dkeller. Really helpful. I have not tried 25 LBS in the tires, went right down to 17 LBS as it appeared to be a good number for the heavier sidewalls of the Toyo's. Don't want to pop a bead. My '96 ram has less aggressive tires that I run on the beach at 12 - 14 LBS mostly at the higher end of that range depending on beach conditions. I figured I would try 17 on the Rebel and for my needs appears to be in the ball park, going to run with that. Seems we both are doing fine with this setting.

Link to the ESC post for people who may be curious www.ramrebel.org/threads/traction-control-off-in-4wd-lock.16681/#post-76657 Thanks/credit go out to Dkeller the OP of that thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use to be in the sand all the time in my 1986 Bronco 4x4 had some bigger tires on it never let air out never over heated never worried about the sand getting everywhere. think you're wanting more out of a vehicle than it was intended for. I think I need to visit some of my old haunts to see how it handles in the sand but I will have to wait till the next time I visit Vegas maybe I will rent one I hate long drives anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well Mr. Mopar I have never driven in the desert have no idea what that is like and I am thinking you have never driven on the beaches I drive on and know what that is like. Even locally sand conditions can vary considerably day to day and season by season. On my local beaches you can traverse some of them without airing down, depending on conditions, but as mentioned here or in the other thread it just tears up the beaches and makes it miserable for the next guy not to mention making it easier on the equipment. Yeah I could rev the crap out of it and dig along but why bother? If you air down they just go better. With the more modern cars overheating is not the problem it once was but still see cars on the beach now and again belching steam. I too am not particularly worried about sand on my truck but can see how under certain conditions it could happen, not worried about it much though. For me it is certainly not wanting more out of the truck than it can deliver, the Rebel is a very nice and competent piece of equipment but I see no sense in beating on it when airing down a bit makes them go so much better on "my" sand. To each their own - YMMV. I see people struggling along with hard tires all the time here, I would rather cruise along on top and pass them. Have fun in the desert always wanted to try that but probably never will at this point in my life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You keep saying that your truck failed. But I don't see where or how it failed. Did the sand damage anything except your pride? Sounds to me like you were just embarrassed because some of your buddies saw it. I agree with you that I wouldn't want sand in my engine bay, and if it ever happens to me I'll clean it out as soon as I have a chance. But the truck did not fail. It got you to your destination and back. And I'm assuming that it still runs just as well now as it did before the sand got in the engine bay. I like your idea of a skid plate. Hopefully it works for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This post is laughable. I play in the mud and sand all the time with my dirt bikes. you know what kind of a pain it is when trying to clean sand out of the chain. you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Mr. Mopar I have never driven in the desert have no idea what that is like and I am thinking you have never driven on the beaches I drive on and know what that is like. Even locally sand conditions can vary considerably day to day and season by season. On my local beaches you can traverse some of them without airing down, depending on conditions, but as mentioned here or in the other thread it just tears up the beaches and makes it miserable for the next guy not to mention making it easier on the equipment. Yeah I could rev the crap out of it and dig along but why bother? If you air down they just go better. With the more modern cars overheating is not the problem it once was but still see cars on the beach now and again belching steam. I too am not particularly worried about sand on my truck but can see how under certain conditions it could happen, not worried about it much though. For me it is certainly not wanting more out of the truck than it can deliver, the Rebel is a very nice and competent piece of equipment but I see no sense in beating on it when airing down a bit makes them go so much better on "my" sand. To each their own - YMMV. I see people struggling along with hard tires all the time here, I would rather cruise along on top and pass them. Have fun in the desert always wanted to try that but probably never will at this point in my life.
Thx for backing up my response fellow grasshopper..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You keep saying that your truck failed. But I don't see where or how it failed. Did the sand damage anything except your pride? Sounds to me like you were just embarrassed because some of your buddies saw it. I agree with you that I wouldn't want sand in my engine bay, and if it ever happens to me I'll clean it out as soon as I have a chance. But the truck did not fail. It got you to your destination and back. And I'm assuming that it still runs just as well now as it did before the sand got in the engine bay. I like your idea of a skid plate. Hopefully it works for you.
To you I say, this is an easy fix that Dodge should have addressed. As stated many other trucks that I owned never had this problem in the exact same trails. How long do you think that serpentine belt is going to hold up rolling on tons of sand. I guess , failed to address by Dodge would have better stated my frustration. These trucks are not just for dragging our kids to soccer. And finally yes very embarrassed when I opened the hood. Skid plate was perfect. No sand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.