Ram Rebel Forum banner

BELLY PAN / SKID PLATE had remarkable results!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Skeegan 
#1 ·
Ok after fabricating and installing a skid plate a few days ago I went back to the sand trails that caused me so much disappointment. (Previous threads, sand nightmare, and Custom rod rack and skid plate). I ran the truck a little harder through the trails to be sure that I could produce the same Sandy results and also test out the newly installed sand deflector. When I got back to camp I opened the hood to hook up my tire compressor and check for sand. NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING, No Sand under the hood. Only a few kernels of sand on the lower sub structure. I know some of you doubted it would help and I say it's Remarkable, I did not expect that kind of success. NOW I should tell you guys I did mash that 1/8" belly pan so I am not sure how long it could take that abuse but knowing it works so well I will get some 1/4" aluminum and remake it if it becomes compromised. * Note to one of you, I was diligent in watching the temp guage and the Hot/Cold meter never reached the mid point. The belly pan made no difference in temp. And final note: fishing wasn't great. We caught 4or5 Sea Robins. One almost 3 lbs. Great for the young kids I was teaching to surf fish but not highly sought after. (zim, wish you were there). Thx for looking SCOTT.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's awesome to hear and see Skeegan. With the test run completed, are you considering changing the current setup to something thicker. Might have an opportunity on your hands hear to get something fabricated. best of luck next time with the fishing, sounds like yall had a good time!

#5 ·
I will stick to the current plate and watch carefully to see if the sand trails begin to tear it apart. Also the area where fish and drive Allows me to travel on the beaches after Sept. 15th. So with this date rapidly approaching I will no longer need to travel through the deep sand trails which tend to have deep tracks and large corner berms. Once the beaches are open for over sand travel I can Choose the easier areas to drive, such as lower shoreline sand that is wet and packed making beach travel easy. ( must spray and wash entire truck to remove salt and sand. Still so worth it. ). Thx for your kind response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.