Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am looking for the part number of the black skid plate for my front bumper for my rebel . My wife and I were driving the other night and hit a deer. I really could use a VIN # to look it up but google is not turning any up for me.

Here is a video of the hit:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hope you guys were not injured.

The recently announced "Black" special addition Rebel has a black skid plate. So there is a factory black skid plate for the Rebel now at least on the '17s. Doesn't look like anything has changed so perhaps the new skid plate will fit our trucks. Have to see if which is cheaper factory black or a powder coat job.

·
Registered
70 Posts

The recently announced "Black" special addition Rebel has a black skid plate. So there is a factory black skid plate for the Rebel now at least on the '17s. Doesn't look like anything has changed so perhaps the new skid plate will fit our trucks. Have to see if which is cheaper factory black or a powder coat job.

I just bought a 17, but I didn't know they had them in black. I wanted granite anyway... had my fill of black vehicles. I am thinking about powder coating my plate to match bumper, but not sure... if insurance is paying for it, I would get one from factory. That appears to be the same on 15-17...

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Black package special edition was just announced so I don't know if they are around yet. The package is available in any body color, the black part is the wheels, skid plate, etc. - "blacked out" if you will. A few youtube vids. out describing it.

Yeah the factory one is the way I would go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Black Automotive exterior
All,

I am looking for the part number of the black skid plate for my front bumper for my rebel . My wife and I were driving the other night and hit a deer. I really could use a VIN # to look it up but google is not turning any up for me.

Here is a video of the hit:

Ok, so the Mopar Rebel appears to have a black factory powder coated skid plate and so I ordered it from the dealer with a Mopar Rebel VIN when building my truck, the skid plate showed up silver like normal and I was like WTF? So I had them bring in another, silver again! I ended up getting the shop who installed my lift to just spray the skid plate with bed liner and it looks pretty awesome, a bit rougher then the powder coat on the bumper but they were able to fill the plate mount holes and they disappeared so I'm happy I went this route. There is no factory black skid plate, the dealer just sends it for powder coat if you order a Mopar Rebel. Also my tow hooks are sprayed with bed liner as well, I hate when they start getting chipped and rusty and they shouldn't now unless I really take a chunk out of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guessing you dont need a front plate where you live. Wish I could go without it. I plan on powder coating mine, but the liner actually looks good a little different from bumper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah in Alberta you don't need the front but when I was living in Ontario you did and I got caught one year even though I had the front plate visible in my windshield, didn't have somewhere to mount in the front bumper yet so it got dropped when I went to court but still a pain, definitely love not being required to have a front here! I prob would have gone with powder coat if I had more time when it showed up silver but yeah I'm happy with the contrast and should be as or more durable if I scrape it on some rocks then a powder coat finish, I'll find out soon enough

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah in Alberta you don't need the front but when I was living in Ontario you did and I got caught one year even though I had the front plate visible in my windshield, didn't have somewhere to mount in the front bumper yet so it got dropped when I went to court but still a pain, definitely love not being required to have a front here! I prob would have gone with powder coat if I had more time when it showed up silver but yeah I'm happy with the contrast and should be as or more durable if I scrape it on some rocks then a powder coat finish, I'll find out soon enough
I live in the land of rules and regulations... California. You can get an environmental citation for flatulent activities in ths place. Today is the first day it has not ram ned in a while ... going to see how difficult it is to temove that plate. I saw someone plastidipped it but that does not seem as durable? Looked really good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in the land of rules and regulations... California. You can get an environmental citation for flatulent activities in ths place. Today is the first day it has not ram ned in a while ... going to see how difficult it is to temove that plate. I saw someone plastidipped it but that does not seem as durable? Looked really good.

Yeah don't do plasti dip, might look alright for a bit but not very durable and certain chemicals eat it up and it bubbles/peels off, like tire shine will eat it. I had my old rims plasti dipped black and they didn't last long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So if you order the Rebe limited edition Black package all the bright parts come black except for the skid plate that the dealer has to send out to bave powdercoated? That sounds a bit suspect. Not that they did not tell you that but really does not make sense. If you ordered off your VIN and your truck came with a silver skid pale I would think that they would send you a silver skid plate like they did. Perhaps the the black skid plae has not been released yet as a part. That would be more plausable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
So if you order the Rebe limited edition Black package all the bright parts come black except for the skid plate that the dealer has to send out to bave powdercoated? That sounds a bit suspect. Not that they did not tell you that but really does not make sense. If you ordered off your VIN and your truck came with a silver skid pale I would think that they would send you a silver skid plate like they did. Perhaps the the black skid plae has not been released yet as a part. That would be more plausable.

Ok, so the attached is a Mopar Rebel that should come with a black skid plate right? Good, now I ordered the skid off that VIN and it showed up silver, twice! The factory might powder coat it per the specs on the VIN during assembly, but if you get in an accident and require a replacement, the dealer is getting a silver one and sending it for powder coat.. cool mang, or if you want a factory black skid plate, it has to come from the factory

·
Registered
118 Posts
View attachment 8817

Ok, so the attached is a Mopar Rebel that should come with a black skid plate right? Good, now I ordered the skid off that VIN and it showed up silver, twice! The factory might powder coat it per the specs on the VIN during assembly, but if you get in an accident and require a replacement, the dealer is getting a silver one and sending it for powder coat.. cool mang, or if you want a factory black skid plate, it has to come from the factory
Does that truck have balck and silver wheels or are they all black?

·
Registered
20 Posts
All black it's a Mopar rebel
It's the same as if you get in an accident and need a new bumper.. the dealer will order one in and it will need paint, you can't get a factory painted bumper unless it's a new truck from the factory, skid plate appears the same and the dealer will get a silver one even if your truck came with a black one.. rims are different

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure what is exposed when i take it off. Wondering if i should wait until things are going to stay dry here long enough to cruise around naked and vulnerable to the elements for a week. Think im going to blacken my RAM logo today though. I use BBQ grill black on everything for my motorcycle and it really holds up, so it should do nicely.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's the same as if you get in an accident and need a new bumper.. the dealer will order one in and it will need paint, you can't get a factory painted bumper unless it's a new truck from the factory, skid plate appears the same and the dealer will get a silver one even if your truck came with a black one.. rims are different
Thanks that clears it up. Is the silver skid plate RebelLTD17 received finish coated silver or primer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.