Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 has been in the shop for ~10 days now and nobody can figure out how to solve this problem. The blower motor will be delayed to start by 5-10 minutes the first time you start it in the morning (or after it sits for 8 hours or so - for both AC and Heat). So far they have replaced the motor itelf, the module (I'm guessing the engine control module? - they just said module), the switch, a temp sensor, and the resistor pack, and it continues to do this. The service department said that they opened a STAR case a few days ago so hopefully someone at chrysler knows whats going on.

Does anyone here have any idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about the troubles....suxs since it's a new truck and the fact they kept it in shop for so many days....hope it gets figured out and you can post the fix for us ....

Anyway, welcome and congrats on your purchase.....I'm sure it's probably a fuse they overlooked or something....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My understanding is that there is a load manager somewhere in the truck's computer systems. Its job is to delay large power drains to prevent overload as the truck is starting up. Normally the blower is delayed a few seconds when the truck first starts. Maybe something there has gone haywire.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
My understanding is that there is a load manager somewhere in the truck's computer systems. Its job is to delay large power drains to prevent overload as the truck is starting up. Normally the blower is delayed a few seconds when the truck first starts. Maybe something there has gone haywire.
Good point, so many computers/controllers on these newer vehicles its so difficult to keep track...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, I'll mention it to the dealer when they call. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still not working as of now, I told the the service manage to try the bcm and look into the charging system/battery and he said that he would tell the mechanic to look at them. Someone on facebook said their 2015 did this and it was the bcm *crosses fingers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up calling chrysler customer service to see if they could expedite fixing the truck. I'll see if that helps at all, the customer service rep said that the dealership appeared to be going the correct route in fixing it (what they were replacing, opening a star case, etc..). He assigned a case manager to it and said they would call me tomorrow. Hopefully the tech replaced the bcm today and they will call tomorrow morning and say it's all good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's looking like its the battery, they put it on a charger overnight and it worked fine this morning. They are going to keep it one more night just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Amazing. Electrical system so sensative to a weak battery....good to know that its always a good idea to go back to basics and start with/ at the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and its broken again, I charged it overnight and still doesn't work (I also had autozone check the battery and alternator and they said both tested perfect). The service manager said that he doesn't know what could possibly be causing it but they will figure it out. Chrylser case is still open.

I videotaped it this time to send to the chrylser rep (its pretty boring lol, but at around 6 min the blower fan comes on)

·
Registered
109 Posts
If charging the battery solved it temporarily then it may be a bad battery. I had my truck go dead 2 times early on, they tested the battery and it tested fine, but problem recurred after they had it overnight, put a new battery in and problem has never been back again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If charging the battery solved it temporarily then it may be a bad battery. I had my truck go dead 2 times early on, they tested the battery and it tested fine, but problem recurred after they had it overnight, put a new battery in and problem has never been back again.
after charging it the second time it didn't fix it, they pretty much have no idea what's wrong now. Chrysler said that they want to try to fix it one more time before swapping trucks out for me, so I'll give them another week or two.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Before you swap trucks, make them swap the battery, my dealer said they have seen this before with some of their batteries. Thats why just swapped it no questions asked and then followed up to make sure it worked. My symptoms were a little different but it was a power supply issue as well. If not then I guess a new truck for you if they are willing to do that. Crazy that a small thing could cause such a large issue. Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got it back again last night (they said the re-calibrated the computers) and today the passenger rear air bag popped (at least I think it popped, it sounded like a gunshot and now the truck is leaning to that side in the rear). I should have kept my 2011 Ram.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That really sucks. I suspect you are right. Get a new truck from them. You just got a lemon. Wouldn't blame you if you wanted a totally different truck.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
after charging it the second time it didn't fix it, they pretty much have no idea what's wrong now. Chrysler said that they want to try to fix it one more time before swapping trucks out for me, so I'll give them another week or two.
I think it was very upfront and straightforward that they came to you and offered to swap out trucks. I think if it was me in your shoes, I wouldn't have given them another week.....id be like, here's the keys !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.