Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone broken a sensor arm trying to swap out their links like this? I really dont want to take this in to the dealer by my tire guy doesnt seem to think he can swap it out without the dealer hooking it up and swapping it out. I taped it on for now, worst part is I actually broke two of them. FYI this plastic gets brittle after a few years. If anyone knows if this can be fixed ourselves without the dealer or has part numbers please let me know. For now duck tape is in the truck always.
IMG_0144.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have been replaced. I think you are right that 2 part epoxy would have worked here. I drove it with duct tape for 2 weeks almost, kept checking it and no issues. The other arm though was broken right at the pivot point so I dont think epoxy would have worked on that one as I had to tape it in place and lose any ability to adjust the height. Sensors were about 110 each. Had the dealer clear the codes after and its been all good since. I will NOT be changing these out again for the stock ones, just gonna leave these in year round and buy some bigger winter tires so it doesnt look silly for half the year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doubt it be strong nuff to hold. But i suppose it can't hurt to try
I think it would. There is absolutely no stress on these at all other than gravity on the sensor arm and link. The issue with one of them was the point that it broke at was not amenable to that kind of repair. I preferred to just put new ones in though since they were not as expensive as I thought they might be at first. They had to source one out of Edmonton was the only reason it took that long to get them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted. I had mine off last week and didnt seem like theres much load on those things. I'm a bit curious how you broke them. Was it when you were prying the top of the link off?

Also just ran across this diagram. No good to you now but maybe if somebody else runs across this thread. Sensors, Suspension and Steering. For 2017 Ram 1500 | Ram Parts Inc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I broke it prying the stock one off the sensor arm. I should have just unscrewed the ball to do it, but hadn't had an issue doing it before ever. I would support the arm with large pliers and slowly pry the link off, I think the plastic got very brittle after a few years. I recommend removing the ball (its just held on with a screw from the backside) or heat up the plastic on the stock link first. The aftermarket links are way easier to put on and off, no stress on the arm at all. Thanks for the diagram, those are the part numbers I was looking for, with some explanation I was able to have the dealer figure out what I needed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
@ballenbc did you replace the sensors yourself? Was there much to it? It looks like you just unplug a wiring harness and un bolt it. I broke the arm on the drivers side tonight and it is being held together with duct tape at the moment...haha. Drove across town and all was good. You’re right there is no load on them, but I want to get it swapped out ASAP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the dealer do it but they said it was easy. Plug in and go. You can do it yourself. They gave me a better price on the sensors than I could get buying them myself and charged me half hour to do the install. I figured may as well have them do it in case things went wrong but I wouldn’t hesitate to do it yourself. Btw my duct tape held up fine for the 10 days I had to wait for one of them to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the dealer do it but they said it was easy. Plug in and go. You can do it yourself. They gave me a better price on the sensors than I could get buying them myself and charged me half hour to do the install. I figured may as well have them do it in case things went wrong but I wouldn’t hesitate to do it yourself. Btw my duct tape held up fine for the 10 days I had to wait for one of them to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did they have to do any reprogramming or just swap the broken one with a new one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts