Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wish the would have installed the little hazard light on the side mirrors when it is unsafe to merge one way or the other. I've seen it on cars and SUV's but not sure about any trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this UCONNECT AIR V2 in my Wrangler with two rear cams and turn signal cams. That version was different so I let it go with the Jeep.
Just about to pull the trigger for my Rebel, not so much for the turn signals, but for the rear camera on my camper and auto front cam under 8 MPH. I also have a Raspberry pi for web access on the screen using the aux video input. These are the cameras I mounted under the mirrors and camper back: Amazon.com: Chuanganzhuo Front Side Rear View Camera, Universal Normal Image Optional Distance Scale Line,Mirror/Non-mirror Image,For All Car,Black: Car Electronics
This will go on the Rebel front and has the "park sense" like beeper: Amazon.com: AUDEW 3 IN 1 Video Parking Sensor 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angle Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera with 2 Radar Detector Sensors BiBi Alarm Indicator: Car Electronics

Here's a shot of Chromium OS displayed on my previous 430N -

Electronics Vehicle Multimedia Car Technology

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's a pic of the video switch installed on the left below the radio before wrapping up all the wires. I took power from the 12v console outlet since it's switched.
Amazon.com: Intelligent Car Video Switcher 3-way Input 1-way Output for the Car Camera: Car Electronics
Far bottom left is a 3-way switch to select the video source. It's also wired to only power the add-on cameras when that camera is selected.

Electronics Technology Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable management

It's all put back together and tested. What's left to do this week is install the front camera under the RAM logo and the wireless receiver for my camper camera.
Interesting to note that the factory rear camera generates the parking lines that move with the steering wheel. So when a different camera is selected, those lines are not there. Good so they don't conflict and would be backwards for the camper.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a little bit completed before the storms came in and it got dark.

New connectors on the original rear camera input and video switch connected and tested.

View attachment 18289
Thanks for saving me a lot of money! Lockpick Air is cool but so much. Can you tell me the wire colors for the back up camera you ended up cutting. Everything arrived yesterday and I plan on doing the mod this weekend. I ended up going with this front camera Amazon.com: Front View Camera,Chuanganzhuo Universal Normal Image Car Reverse Backup Rear/Front View Camera For All Car,Black: Car Electronics allows you to add/remove backup guide lines and reverse image.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Completed the project today. There's a small refresh line that cycles across the screen, but nothing that would really bother you. Credit goes to Bagman for the idea and parts list!

Added the camera just below the RAM lettering. (note: the camera is centered, but apparently the peak of the A is not center) There is a nice 3"x3" flat spot to install a camera.

Wall Technology Room Architecture Rock

Water Red Drop Rain Glitter

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Automotive design

The splice to the main harness.
Cable management Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Electronic engineering

Found a nice location to install the switch. A easily removable side panel.
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mid-size car Family car

Automotive exterior Button Metal

Top - is front camera, Center o is rear, and the bottom = would be the 3rd camera if I had one.
Button Fashion accessory

Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Electrical supply Technology

Connections made, Top Purple would be for camera #3, Middle is +12v from lighter power, Bottom Red is front camera #2. Camera #1 is the rear, which is the default camera for the switch box. I took power and ground from the lighter connector (kind of a hack job there, got lazy).

Electrical wiring Technology Vehicle Auto part Car

The switch box connections. Not shown is how I went through the firewall for the camera feed. I just poked a very small hole in the rubber boot of the parking brake pass through. I will also seal it up with some rubber sealant, just so its air tight.
Product Technology Auto part Machine Vehicle door

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am changing out my rotary switch for a toggle. It's too hard to "feel" the position when driving. And, yes, my anal side really took note of the "M" larger than the "R" and offsetting the "A"!
I considered that same camera - how is the angle to see down in front of the bumper?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry forgot to attach the video screen pic. The angle seems good. You can see the bottom of the bumper, so not sure if that's a positive or a negative. I will definitely be able to tell how fwd I am pulled without issue.

Text Font Automotive window part Family car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.