Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tracking if RAM is going to provide CarPlay capability? I'm a techy, these are the things that make me happy .

It would be awesome if they could provide an update to our existing head units.

Reactions: Thatguy0129

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Haven't heard/seen anything but it would be cool...(I'm techy too)

Reactions: MonicaRebel16

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have google alerts setup waiting to see if they do, Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think it's inevitable. CarPlay and whatever the Android setup is called are going to become standard on pretty much everything I think. It's on the GM trucks now and works really well. I just wish we could see something like GM's 4G/LTE wifi hotspot setup that is now standard on all OnStar equipped vehicles. That setup is slick. Way faster than using my phone's internet capabilities. We did a roadtrip over the holidays and used a 2016 Suburban LTZ. Even though it has the dual screen BluRay, the kiddies just streamed Netflix on the iPads for the whole trip. Twas a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think it's inevitable. CarPlay and whatever the Android setup is called are going to become standard on pretty much everything I think. It's on the GM trucks now and works really well. I just wish we could see something like GM's 4G/LTE wifi hotspot setup that is now standard on all OnStar equipped vehicles. That setup is slick. Way faster than using my phone's internet capabilities. We did a roadtrip over the holidays and used a 2016 Suburban LTZ. Even though it has the dual screen BluRay, the kiddies just streamed Netflix on the iPads for the whole trip. Twas a beautiful thing.
My Rebel has built in WiFi that can be activated through uconnect, your's don't?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nope. In Canada, we don't have the UConnect Access or WiFi or whatever they're calling it now. I've tried to find the hack before to get it activated, but no such luck.

Maybe it's time to look into this again. I'll admit, I haven't tried it on the 2016, which has a few changes over the 2015 UConnect setup.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nope. In Canada, we don't have the UConnect Access or WiFi or whatever they're calling it now. I've tried to find the hack before to get it activated, but no such luck.

Maybe it's time to look into this again. I'll admit, I haven't tried it on the 2016, which has a few changes over the 2015 UConnect setup.
Sorry. I can go to moparownerconnect.com, go to the shop area and WiFi is 9.99 a day, 19.99 a week or $34.99 a month...can also be done in the truck if a payment account is already setup on the site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am trying to hold out as long as a can before buying the Rebel. I have been told that it is a hardware issue and that it should be around sometime during the Summer or Fall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am trying to hold out as long as a can before buying the Rebel. I have been told that it is a hardware issue and that it should be around sometime during the Summer or Fall.
Yea, they said that last year. I'm not holding my breath but I will be the first one in line of they do release an update :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry. I can go to moparownerconnect.com, go to the shop area and WiFi is 9.99 a day, 19.99 a week or $34.99 a month...can also be done in the truck if a payment account is already setup on the site.
The wifi from the truck from unconnect is only 3G. You will save $10 a month to turn your phone into a moble hot spot and get faster data

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The wifi from the truck from unconnect is only 3G. You will save $10 a month to turn your phone into a moble hot spot and get faster data
Keep in mind that using it much could also run you into your data plan caps on your phone.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I honestly rather pay a little more to raise my data limit and have 4G rather then get aggravated waiting for the 3G to stop "buffering".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You may, others may not. I was merely warning that the $10 for a single day savings using your cell phone as a hotspot might not be a savings after all. Not everyone that wants a hotspot will be worried about video buffering. The bad thing is that the Uconnect carrier is Sprint. Their national average for 3G down is around 0.5Mbps. Other carriers have averages six times that.

For example, if you have a Verizon 2GB plan @ $35/mo, video via your phone (for passenger viewing, hopefully) can easily push you beyond 4GB, and the next plan is 8GB, cost of $70/mo.

Whereas current Uconnect hotspot price is $50/mo. but there is currently no data limit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well said, I agree. Sprint sucks!! Lol
If I use my hot spot, it's generally for movie entertainment for little man in the back seat. There is nothing worse than have to "fix" the movie over and over and over again.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
We didn't have video options for kids in my parenting days. Not that it mattered. They had toys and books. I think they still make those. :)

I don't regret that at all. Much cheaper than electronics and cellular service, and the kids spent a lot of time imagining things instead of just being entertained. One is now an engineer and the other one is a scientist, so I guess it worked out okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The current Rebels will not have Car Play. Apple has strict hardware requirements that the radio needs to have for it to be authorized to be car play supported. The current RA3/4 Radios dont have the power to be able to use them. The Chrysler Pacifica, 200 and a couple of other vehicles for model year 2017 have new units made by panasonic that do have Android Auto / Car play. 2017 will be the last year Harman Kardon makes the radios for FCA, 2018 forward will be panasonic. From what ive seen, Ram wont have factory car play till the refresh in 2019.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The current Rebels will not have Car Play. Apple has strict hardware requirements that the radio needs to have for it to be authorized to be car play supported. The current RA3/4 Radios dont have the power to be able to use them. The Chrysler Pacifica, 200 and a couple of other vehicles for model year 2017 have new units made by panasonic that do have Android Auto / Car play. 2017 will be the last year Harman Kardon makes the radios for FCA, 2018 forward will be panasonic. From what ive seen, Ram wont have factory car play till the refresh in 2019.

Where's is the thumb down option for this? Womp womp lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where's is the thumb down option for this? Womp womp lol

Seriously, just make me cry :( Anyone successfully install an aftermarket one from Alpine or Pioneer into a 1500? :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts