Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see posts on the ram forum about installing a catch can on all 5.7s. Any one have one or have any insight on them. If it meant preserving the truck and making it last longer and run better I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have no intention of installing one. I've seen outrageous claims of all kinds.
  1. Great gas mileage increases. (Up to 8mpg !!! if you believe that - I don't.)
  2. Longer engine life. (I have a friend that has a Ram Hemi with 450,000+ miles on it. No catch can. I had a Hemi with 220k on it before I sold it. Still ran great.)
  3. Reduced engine temp because oil burns hotter. (If you're burning enough oil to have a measurable temp increase, you're burning at least a quart of oil with every tank of gas and you need to do some repairs.)
  4. Cleaner air sensors. (Oil does build up in a thin film on your throttle body air sensors. Of all claims, this is the most legit, although I've never had any serious buildup issues in engines that resulted in problems. I do clean the intakes out on older vehicles, and sometimes there will be a light glazing from oil, along with some carbon buildup. Comes right out with intake cleaners or degreasers if you want to detach it.)
  5. Water kept out of intake. (If you have water coming through your PCV, you need some repairs done, imo.)
  6. No oil smell from your exhaust. (I don't have oil smells now, without the catch can. ???)
These devices are probably more valuable in very high compression situations, such as with turbochargers and superchargers. Higher compression means higher blow-by. I've had several vehicles with turbos and no catch cans. I have typically put an average of 100k miles on those vehicles before trading them in on newer ones, and never had any issues.

Yes, they will catch some oil. There will always be some tiny amount of oil through the PCV. Notably, guys that put dual cans always find oil in the 2nd can, too. Estimates range to 10% that gets past the first can.

You will find guys that swear by them. I'm not one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ran two catch can in both of my last turbo cars. They were semi built so I needed them. Yes, turbo vehicles, I am a firm believer that they are mandatory. However, I'm new to this whole truck scene and haven't decided if I want/need to run one. Will look into it a bit more though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
as johnj says all of the rumors are myths except for it keeping your throttle body clean, which it does tot he extreme. I have had one on my previous ram and my mustang boss 302. They work and I wont own a car without one.
As far as the horse power etc its a fact. My wife has a jeep rubicon 3.8l that they don't make a catch can for. Every 15k miles I take her throttle body off and clean it up. There is always a good build up of oil on the backside of the body. After I put it back together and drive it I do completely notice a throttle response difference. My wife dis as well without realizing I even worked on it. With the amount of oil these things catch in-between oil changed (that's when I empty mine) it cannot be good for the engine itself even. Well worth the money in my opinion.
When I have my first oil change I'll post pictures of how much oil there really is caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with John on this one. Sure, you will catch a small amount of oil, but considering how much the engine has over that amount of time, it's negligible. To anyone who claims 8 MPG increase in fuel mileage, I have some stuff I need to sell you......

As mentioned above, it's different in a boosted engine, which are actually typically lower compression, but they run a higher manifold pressure. On my Mustang, which sees large amounts of nitrous, I don't run a PCV at all, but I change the oil frequently. I won't waste my time installing one on my truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Theres no way to measure mpg increase I believe. However with the amount I pour out of that can every oil change, I know for sure I don't want that fed back into my throttle body and engine. Especially seeing what it does at just 15k miles.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The engine ends up with trace amounts of oil in the cylinders anyway. I doubt that it hurts the engine. Never seen any scientific report that it does. The case for the throttle body is different, of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Saying the engine ends up with trace amounts anyway is like saying the faucet supply is busted and pouring water out but eh the sink dripped anyway let it be lol. You bought a 40K+ truck what's $130 bucks going to hurt.

Take it from someone who sees and feels exactly what it does to a throttle body every ~15k miles.....I will always have one where I can

·
Registered
30 Posts
the main problem with oem pcv ccv evacuation is that it empties back in the intake tract and lowers octane.However i agree its needed on boosted more than naturaaly aspirated vehicles

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
198 Posts
Johnj is right I believe, as pretty much every car on the road does NOT have one, and most last for high milage.
it does have benefits, I believe they aren’t a factory part because if it overflowed it “could” be devastatingly consequential.
however, it will keep your oil cleaner for longer, mainly due to reducing the condensate returned to the system.
look upEngineering Explained on YouTube. He did a very solid test on them.

the reality is every car is better with one, but no one will suffer for not having one in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts