Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was searching around the boards and didn't really find a comprehensive thread about cleaning and protective products. Obviously there are tons out there, but I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite products are...maybe there is a consensus around certain categories. Would be cool if we listed them off by category. Feel free to add a category I missed! Might be best to copy and paste my list and just change what I put in.

Glass-I've always liked invisible glass, cheap and does a great job, the foam doesn't run either which is nice
EXterior Trim-Meguiars gold class vinyl/rubber protectant
Interior Trim-Meguiars natural shine protectant
Carpet-never really used one. Had an aerosol can with a built in yellow brush, was ok I guess
Leather-never had a vehicle with leather until now
Tires-black Magic Tire foam (I alway wipe it down afterward, I hate having tires fling oil over my truck, and not super into a wet look
Wheels-meguiars gold class all wheel cleaner
Wash/soap-armor all car wash (strong dilution of simple green if really filthy or bug ridden)
Wax-meguiars gold class carnauba plus liquid wax
Polish-never used anything
Clay-never have done clay bar myself
Washer Fluid-Rain X Bug Remover
Chrome-blue Magic metal polish cream

What do you all prefer? (And what do you use on the rebel seats and dash?)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Material property Machine
Product Tire Machine
Trunk Alcohol Bumper Car Drink
Auto part Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

As you can see I use a lot of the same meguiars products.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris, as far as the paint protection goes, the CQuartz you use I assume you did it yourself? I'm not a detail pro by any means. Can you screw it up? Honestly I know how to wash and wax a car, and do interior detailing, but I've never done polishing, compounding, paint correction and all this other stuff. In all honesty, I'd never even hear dif paint correction until I read about CQuartz.

So I guess my question is, so long as I was the car really well, can you screw up a CQuartz application? Do I really need to do all the compounding, clear bar, polishing, eraser and all that? What happens if I don't?

I just don't want to screw up my car, but my excess cash suddenly evaporated (health) and I can't afford a $500-700 car wash as much as I truly want to do it.

Please keep in mind I've never even tried clay bar, much less using a rotary buffer/polisher. I'd be scared to put power tool to my new (2000k mile) Rebel.

Thanks Chris,hope I'm not getting annoying with my questions!!!!

PS. what product do you use on your dashboard and seats?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't mind any questions at all, if I don't know the answer I'll try to find out myself. In terms of a new paint job, microscopically it has small imperfections. Overspray, dirt stuck to the top coat, uneven thickness, and, even or uneven coats like orange peel effect.

The first thing I had done, was to get the paint as clean as possible. I paid a detailer to use a clay bar to remove dirt, overspray, and prepare the clear coat for a protectant. I have a new product to try that's a synthetic clay bar. In my pic it's the small box with a white label and black lettering.

The next thing is to seal any holes and imperfections in the paint. I paid a detailer to use a mopar paint sealer the first time. I had the detailer apply it right after clay barring in an inside closed environment. This is to protect the paint and provide an even base coat.

The next time I had the detailer strip everything down. Then I wiped it all down with eraser my self and applied th CQuartz UK. It was a bit warmer outside than I wanted so I will be redoing it again in the fall. After that as a base coat I applied wax and polish every time I took the truck out. Now all I have to do is wipe anything off it with a microfibre cloth as nothing sticks to it. You can touch it with filthy hands and not even leave fingerprints.

It doesn't matter which of the major manufacturers you use for products, they all have various products and a lot of testing and engineering that goes into their products. Is all about brand loyalty and ease of use.

The micro and nano engineered protectants are a fairly new system on the market. They are similar to a sealant in that are a base coat that seals and protects the paint. The nano technologies are a bit different in that you don't need to apply anything more, and they don't need washing as they contain repellents that clean up with just a rinse. CQuartz is just one example. Their are about 20+ options out there.

Each of the new nano type of armour coatings have their own claims, and each have explicit instructions for applying for best results. In case of CQuartz they want you to apply it in an up/down and side to side fashion to get it as even as possible. Then if you choose to apply a polish or finish coat using traditional round machinery or, wax on wax off rotating, it doesn't already have rounding swirl effect in thickness.

You can make a bit of a mess of things by not reading and following any manufacturers instructions. Take the time to get information, watch some utube videos on your products. The internet is full of good and and bad videos, view as many as you have time for. If you do things wrong it can be corrected, it's just a matter of stripping it down and starting over. I have a gallon of methyl hydrate on hand to take off anything I don't like and start over.

The finishing process can be scary to someone just starting. I have been doing this for a lot of years in various mediums on all types of materials, including wood, plastics and various types of metals. My best advise is to go slow, don't rush to buy things like high powered electric polishers, take the time to see how the products work. The tools are there to save time but aren't necessary.

In terms of interior and various materials, plastic, leather, vinyl, rubber, and other materials, use a product you know or trust. At one time all that was available was armourall and turtle wax. Today we have spific protectants for each type of material. I use meguires products on most of the interior because I'm firmilliar with their other products. It's more of a personal choice as each major company has done the research and testing.

It is ok to just wash your truck once in a while and do nothing more. It may be all you want to do or all you can do. It's also ok to let a pro do the work you can't either because of skill or health. Some of the new products are daunting in the amount of time it takes to follow instructions, that's ok the results speak for themselves. I personally use my Rebel hard and take a lot of time bringing it back to better than showroom shine every time I get it dirty, but that's just me and my OCD.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Here is a great site for information and products.

CarPro USA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.