Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep hearing a clunking noise when ever I accelerate hard, or brake hard. I also hear it every once and awhile when I go over a speed bump in my neighbor hood. It sounds like its coming from the rear end, but I'm not sure. I can't tell whats making the sounds. I took off the spare tire to see if it was smacking the bottom of the truck, but after I removed it I can still hear the noise. Does anyone else have this problem, or know what it could be? The only thing that I have changed to the truck so far is switch the regular lug nuts for locking lug nuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I keep hearing a clunking noise when ever I accelerate hard, or brake hard. I also hear it every once and awhile when I go over a speed bump in my neighbor hood. It sounds like its coming from the rear end, but I'm not sure. I can't tell whats making the sounds. I took off the spare tire to see if it was smacking the bottom of the truck, but after I removed it I can still hear the noise. Does anyone else have this problem, or know what it could be? The only thing that I have changed to the truck so far is switch the regular lug nuts for locking lug nuts.
Keep an eye on you fuel gauge and see if it does it when you are at half a tank. My last two Rams both did the same thing and aparantly the fuel tank does not have a baffle in it to slow the movement of the fuel from the front of the tank to the rear which caused the clunk in mine . Never did untill below 3/4 of a tank .
Hope this helps
Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep an eye on you fuel gauge and see if it does it when you are at half a tank. My last two Rams both did the same thing and aparantly the fuel tank does not have a baffle in it to slow the movement of the fuel from the front of the tank to the rear which caused the clunk in mine . Never did untill below 3/4 of a tank .
Hope this helps
Mark
I have read about that online, but it still made the noise with a full tank of gas. I'm out of town but I had my girlfriend take it to the dealer. They said that the transmission needs an update, and that should fix the noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This might seem strange, but do you have a hitch cover installed? I had this problem before on my old 1500. I removed the hitch cover and the noise went away.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I don't have a hitch cover, but I appreciate the input. The dealership tried relearning the transmission, and that didn't work. Then they looked at it for a day, and I guess their mechanics don't know what is wrong with it. So now I have to schedule an appointment to have special Chrysler mechanics look at it. Its been hard because I'm overseas right now, and my girlfriend has been the one who has to deal with the problem. She tells me the noise has been getting worse. This has been my first brand new vehicle, and it is really upsetting that I would have a problem with something that only has 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey did you ever find a solution for the clunking noise? my 2016 rebel just developed this noise and its driving me nuts!the only mods are the leveling links. Hopefully someone has found a solution for this. it happens when the front suspension sometimes compresses on a speed bump. I got it to clunk when I go forward from park and then stop kind of abruptly and reversing as well. it feels like the front driveline or something in the suspension clunks. please help guys!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If your warranty is still good, take it back to the Dealer. If not, and you know a real good mechanic, it's time to buy their lunch. Rattles and leaks can drive you insane.
You might want to check the u joints.
Big Red

·
Registered
10 Posts
40,000 miles so out of warranty. the stealership wanted $150 just to look at it. The U bolts sound feasible, what would I check? do they loosen up?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They are not suppose to be loose. Put in park, crawl under, now at the front of the try to turn the drive shaft and then do the same at the rear where it joins the rear end. You also need to try to push it up and down. There will be a little play when you turn it side.
From your post I recommend you take it to a good mechanic.
Big Red

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The truck should have had a 5 year 100,000 power train warranty on it. You need to check with Ram and see if the warranty is available to you and how much would it cost you. I don't know what the rules are. It's worth checking out.
Big Red

·
Registered
2 Posts
The truck should have had a 5 year 100,000 power train warranty on it. You need to check with Ram and see if the warranty is available to you and how much would it cost you. I don't know what the rules are. It's worth checking out.
Big Red
My new 2019 had a audible/annoying noise when hitting speed bumps or rough terrain. Took it to dealer and they torqued the sway bar. Noise gone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What’s up just took my 2019 Rebel in for an ABS hydraulic fluid leak and I also had the clunking noise, turns out there’s an RRT for the Rebels. The front tie rod bolt comes loose and needs to be tightened. At least that was the problem with mine.

Update: It was the front driver side sway bar end link that was loose. Tightened it clunking noise gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts