2,531 Posts
Airaid
AFE
Air Flow Innovations
K&N
Volant
S&B
Mopar

How deep are your pockets and what are you looking for in return? Hp, noise, better gas mileage, open air, closed air, plastic tube, metal tube? All are good and all look good under the hood...and that's about all they are good for.

Closed systems are better for off-road use because they won't allow as much dirt and debris in if you plan on off roading, Open systems tend to make a bit more noise (kind of like an old Quadrajet carb). People will argue wet vs. dry filters all day long. Good luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went with an S&B Intake on my new Rebel. The install was a bit more of a hassle than usual as you have to take out the passenger side wheel well liner. Overall it wasn't bad though...there is a YouTube video with step by step instructions. This was invaluable.

I've always had K&N before...but this S&B was cheaper ($300) and looks great. LIke Zim said...there are a ton of choices. Pick any one of them and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm looking for more mpg and I will be moving to western Colorado so dirt roads and off road travel will increase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If thats the case, my humble opinion is that you go with a sealed unit. Or keep the stock intake and just replace the filter with a k&n. Honestly your better off investing in your suspension than the cai.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are so many options. Is the Mopar cai worth the price? I've wondered about that as well as wondering if the mopar exhaust is worth the price over other options out there.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
There are so many options. Is the Mopar cai worth the price? I've wondered about that as well as wondering if the mopar exhaust is worth the price over other options out there.
You're paying top dollar for a dealer item that does absolutely nothing for as far as hp gains. This has been debated over and over.
So many options out there for half the cost.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The K&N Blackhawk is a solid choice...I just decided on the S&B (covered). Figured I'd try another brand...been using K&N for 20+ years.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
266 Posts
My only issue with k&n and many others, they all claim to flow more and better, but do they filter as well as stock?
Stock is made for sound control and cleanliness of the air quality into your engine. I wonder if anyone’s actually did a solid test of a stock filters particulate reduction size vs these aftermarket oiled filters. they say the dust sticks to the oil, but dust is hydrophobic. Most of the dust will go straight through, resulting in better flow, but dirty air. In racing that’s all fine and dandy, but a for daily it’s prolly not a very cost effective idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.