Ram Rebel Forum banner

Cold air intake

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  stevefo 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed the afe magnum force cold air intake on their 2019 rebel? Haven’t seen many reviews. But they claim an increase of 23hp and 32 foot pounds torque

#7 ·
I installed a Mopar ram air kit on my 2016. I didn't notice a difference but that could be because I'm in S Florida. It's always sweltering. The motor would have to benefit from fifty-degree air coming in through the factory hood scoop. Yes I said scoop, only one of the two is utilized.

#8 ·
The Cold Air intake alone won’t do much, if anything…. Really it’s just one component in a series

off the top of my head, when upgrading the intake and exhaust, you should upgrade:
  • air intake
  • Bored out throttle body
  • Headers
  • exhaust
  • then get it tuned
there are other internal components too like:
  • Fuel injectors
  • Cam
  • Spark plugs and wires
and some others as well….

Upgrading just the Air intake is not really going to do anything on its own. Of course opening up the scoop and re-directing outside air will help get a better burn…. Minimal mpg gain and Maybe +1 HP, if that…. For the cost of the Mopar kit ($300), in my opinion, it’s not really worth it unless you plan to upgrade all the components and get a tune

Reactions: rebel954
#10 ·
I get it. It does alway look awesome when you open the hood

I had a high flow air intake on my 98 Durango, but I also had a bored out throttle body and exhaust…. I was going to do the headers until my transmission went out

If you’re going to drop some coin on a cold air intake, just make sure it’s a true cold air intake (heat shield and/or insulated, or moves the filter out of the hot engine bay)

Reactions: rebel954
#11 ·
Motortrend has a show titled "Engine Masters" where engine brainiacs try all sorts of stuff. They tried different air filters and sizes and what they found was this: all air filters restrict, some restrict less.

I put the Afe kit in my truck. It looked nice, but functionally did nothing. I think the factory box which pulls all its air from the wheel well gets more cold air then my aFe did.

and lets be honest, without all the other up grades for tuning the likelihood of getting 20hp and as much in ftlbs of torque in your daily driving range (as in, not on the firewall wide open) is..well..not likely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.