Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Got a Dashcam for Christmas. Ordered wiring to convert 12v to 5vusb. Going to connect it to the fuse box via a add a circuit fuse to the fuse box. Now I'm looking things over and I see there is not a fuse box in the cabin!
So, How do I get a wire from inside the cabin to under the hood, or is there somewhere inside I can connect up to? I want the wires all concealed and out of the way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been looking at dash cams too. I like the Garmin 20, but the thought of running a power cord from the cigarette lighter is not appealing at all. I'd also like to hear some options for hard-wiring.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter bought me the Cobra CDR 840 from Costco. works great. Nice HD video and features.
Been researching today. There is a way to connect power from the mirror. They have a mount even for radar detectors.
Need to be converted to 5v, which is no big deal. I just don't see any connections on the mirror. I'll have to talk to someone that does installs. The wire definitely is very un appealing hanging down and must go or else it goes until I find a solution.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hot d-a-m-n! It's the same mirror too! I'm really excited for this addition, thanks KD!!!
Your Welcome. Went to dealer today, right by my work. They said tapping into mirror is no problem. Other spot also is vanity mirror, not sure if that is switched with ignition though and what the voltage is. I need to go from 12v to 5v1amp usb. Hopefully the converter will hide inside the box behind the mirror. Ordered another cable today with pins. Will cut radar connector off of it and splice it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. Mission accomplished. I ended up scrapping the mirror tap. I cheated out and got a cheaper on on Amazon and the prongs are very cheap and broke when putting mirror back on. I just spliced into the wires instead. I shortened up all the wires, left a little length inside mirror cover. The color wires are the same as in the post above. When putting mirror back on window start with it around the 2 o'clock position and turn it counter clockwise, it will go right on. DO NOT try to just push it on. It won't work. Nice with no wires!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright. Mission accomplished. I ended up scrapping the mirror tap. I cheated out and got a cheaper on on Amazon and the prongs are very cheap and broke when putting mirror back on. I just spliced into the wires instead. I shortened up all the wires, left a little length inside mirror cover. The color wires are the same as in the post above. When putting mirror back on window start with it around the 2 o'clock position and turn it counter clockwise, it will go right on. DO NOT try to just push it on. It won't work. Nice with no wires!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Reactions: Texican 188
1 - 13 of 13 Posts