Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email from a local Ram dealer containing an article called, "Warming Up Could be Killing Your Engine" and thought some of you might be interested in it. It cautions against warming up your engine. The ONLY time I intentionally warm up my engine for 2 or 3 minutes is in the dead of a WI winter. And years ago I was told that it is better for the vehicle to be driven slowly out of the subdivision for a couple of minutes as opposed to idling in the driveway. Glad I've been doing something right!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I try and wait for the RPM's to drop before I pop it in D and drive away, but I do it more for the tranny than the engine. For some reason my TRANSMISSION acts better when i do that. If I drive away with it cold, the transmission will stick in 1st gear and jerk into 2nd...very annoying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't care what article comes out. let my truck or car idle down from a cold start and then I drive off.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What's the point of Command Start then? And when it's -40C out I don't think the truck will be happy to move without warming up...
That's really hard on your water pump and transmission and power steering lines to just get in and go. cant tell you how many blown power steering lines I see from people who just get in and crank the wheel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
TLDR: Running an engine wears it out over time. Duh.

The article starts off talking about idling for 5 minutes. I agree that unless it is really cold outside you don't need to sit for 5 minutes and should drive nicely instead. Engines like to be at their operating temp. Gas stripping away oil off the cylinder walls? This is why, even at idle, the crank splashes oil up the walls when it runs and fuel has lubricants in it. (This is part of the reason why lead used to be in fuel.)

In the winter I let my vehicles idle while I brush them off. Otherwise I just drive nicely until up to temp. The engine isn't the only thing that needs to warm up.

·
Registered
952 Posts
In cold weather, 7 months of the year, I let the engine idol in neutral. Both the engine and transmission get the fluid warmed up while I clean the windows of ice or snow. Making sure all windows and the roof and hood are clean prevents an accident. It only takes a few minutes to extend the life of the viehicle imho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I try and wait for the RPM's to drop before I pop it in D and drive away, but I do it more for the tranny than the engine. For some reason my TRANSMISSION acts better when i do that. If I drive away with it cold, the transmission will stick in 1st gear and jerk into 2nd...very annoying.
Yup, my 2017 does the same exact thing is there any kind of programmer that can compensate for the shift points?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Baloney, i remote start mine almost every day, hot or cold out side, don't care. The truck always runs better when warm. Going on 2 years doing that. I'm doing my part in burning fuel and keeping the kingdom of Saudi prince very wealthy.

Here's a direct quote from that ridiculous article,
" The problem lies in the fact that gasoline is an excellent solvent, so the more gasoline used, the higher the chance it could end up on cylinder walls, which could strip away the oil needed for the engine to run properly. Thus, letting your car idle for longer than one minute actually increases the chance of stripping away oil."

Omg! So if i have an hr drive to work I'm really stripping away all the oil in my engine!!
Who is this Dr. Ciatti cat anyways?
Why is a dr telling me how i should drive my car let alone how long i need to let it idle.....

So i googled this so called dr and the only one that comes up is a dermatologist.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In cold weather, 7 months of the year, I let the engine idol in neutral. Both the engine and transmission get the fluid warmed up while I clean the windows of ice or snow. Making sure all windows and the roof and hood are clean prevents an accident. It only takes a few minutes to extend the life of the viehicle imho.
How do you let it idle in neutral? My truck shifts to park when I open the drivers door. I'm more of a get in and go kind of guy, but in CA it's usually well above freezing out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with letting the rpm's come down before taking off. In less than a week I'm off to the Eastern Sierra's with my new dream truck for some fall trout fishing. Temps are down in the 20's where we will be staying at night. I guarantee a remote start with all the heat on and it will be toasty before this SoCal butt gets in and takes off. It's going to be a shock for both of us ...LOL...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with this. The engine isn't the only things involved. Most of the truck is happier warm then real cold, and not only the Driver. I will keep on the way I have for the last 55 years.
My opinion, is I bought it and I'll drive it however I want.
Big Red

·
Registered
952 Posts
Warm it up till the Rpms go down at least. Mine also came with a block heater and battery warmer, as well I have extra blankets and a baby blanket. As well, my first aid kit contains emergency blankets and tents. Preparing your engine is just one thing you do to prepare for winter driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Baloney, i remote start mine almost every day, hot or cold out side, don't care. The truck always runs better when warm. Going on 2 years doing that. I'm doing my part in burning fuel and keeping the kingdom of Saudi prince very wealthy.

Here's a direct quote from that ridiculous article,
" The problem lies in the fact that gasoline is an excellent solvent, so the more gasoline used, the higher the chance it could end up on cylinder walls, which could strip away the oil needed for the engine to run properly. Thus, letting your car idle for longer than one minute actually increases the chance of stripping away oil."

Omg! So if i have an hr drive to work I'm really stripping away all the oil in my engine!!
Who is this Dr. Ciatti cat anyways?
Why is a dr telling me how i should drive my car let alone how long i need to let it idle.....

So i googled this so called dr and the only one that comes up is a dermatologist.
:D:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer stated the 1st to 2nd jerk was normal. Has there been any other information on this very annoying issue?? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts