Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great accessory. Works like a charm now that I know the "Trick." Everybody seems to have trouble with the ever so famous nutsert part of the install. Well, so did I. After an hour, and ruining my first nutsert, I called DeeZee for help. They sent me new parts for free, and told me that the trick that is not in the instructions is after you measure the 3/4 inch on the bolt, to add some of the included Locktite to it. So I did as they said and install time on this literally took less than 15 minutes. Hats off to DeeZee for a great product. No more bumps on my 9 year Olds head anymore from the tailgat falling too fast. This is IMO one of the cheapest and best moods so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. That damned nutsert......let me tell just tell ya. Lol

I had my wife squeeze a pair of pliers on the washer to keep it in place and used a ratchet wrench to turn. Worked perfectly. Now the pregger wife can open the tail gate with no issues.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used some mini-vicegrips to hold the nutsert washer. I learned that trick from my last install. At least on these RAMs the hole it goes in is the right size. On my previous truck it went into a slot and moved around until you torqued it to spec. I also used "real" blue locktight over what came in the kit.

Despite any small installation issues I bought one for this truck and will buy one for my trucks of the future as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need for pliers or visegrips if you use Locktite. That was the trick. If I'd have used that the first time, this would literally been a 15 minute install.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah it was a pain but well worth the install. For a moment during that time was ready to drive it to the place where I got it and pay the extra to have them install it but I'll be damned if I was going to get beat by this of all things ! My last truck (08 Titan) came with it from the factory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't have any challenges at all with the install, did mine about a week ago while my wife was at work (ha ha) so she didn't see what I bought, but she came home for lunch :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I must have been lucky I had no issues.......Thank god. but I Agree it's a great product! Its definitely an area where RAM needs to step up their game!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed it last week. Great item, but that nutset was a pain. I managed after trying everyone's suggestions (vice grips, locktite) - neither of those worked. I wish I could explain how I did manage....but I don't think I could do it again !

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Had it installed on my last two trucks. Never had a problem with installing it, in fact one install I did in the freezing cold, took all of 10 min I think. My 2003 ram tailgate seemed to weigh like a ton....with ez tailgate opening the tailgate was no longer a problem. Love their product.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forgive my incompetence , but where exactly would you add the locktight to the nutsert rig after setting your 3/4. I have tried setting the washer distance removing the nutsert and adding it to the threads that are in the nutsert, to stop it from spinning. No luck . I tryed some motorcycle chain lube on the washers and bearing to let them hopefully spin more freely on the nutsert, no luck . for a simple contraption this thing is maddening .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Forgive my incompetence , but where exactly would you add the locktight to the nutsert rig after setting your 3/4. I have tried setting the washer distance removing the nutsert and adding it to the threads that are in the nutsert, to stop it from spinning. No luck . I tryed some motorcycle chain lube on the washers and bearing to let them hopefully spin more freely on the nutsert, no luck . for a simple contraption this thing is maddening .
My first one did the same thing, I called deezee and luckily they sent me a new one since mine had already been stripped. On the new part they told me to remove the bolt from the wingnut, apply lube to the threads and reinstall the bolt. Let it set for about a few hours then proceed with the installation.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just before trading in my rebel for the power wagon I was discussing tailgate assist with the sales rep. I mentioned that every truck, no matter the brand should come with it as standard equipment. Low and behold when I picked up the power wagon it had a mopar version on it. The dealership is installing it on every truck on the lot. Good call!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Sounds like you lost a great deal of money. You should have some rights to it and some kick back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts