Ram Rebel Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Took the Ram (and the wife…lol) to Pagosa Springs for the weekend. Typically, we would go up to Ouray/Telluride to check out the Aspens during this time of year but we were just there a few weeks ago so decided on Pagosa where we usually rent a small cabin situated right along the San Juan River where we can also do some catch and release trout fishing. Sorry for the low quality shots as I forgot my camera (again) and had to use my old cell phone.

Quick road shot in northern NM (looking past the bugs on the windshield…lol):

Few shots around the cabin (unfortunately, no mountain shots as the haze was intense due to the fires in Colorado and California):

Saw lots of geese and deer, and even heard a bear prowling around the cabin one night (found some bear paw prints on the front porch but no shots of the bear):

Unfortunately, the river was very low this Fall so that was disappointing (and you know how bad my fly fishing skills are when I can't catch any in a low flow river...lol):

Dusk shot from cabin:

Due to COVID, we really didn’t run into too many folks considering this is usually a hot spot for Fall visitors. We did manage to find a couple of outdoor places to enjoy some local brews and good food but mostly just spent the time driving around and relaxing at the cabin.

Also disappointing is we did not fit in any off-road adventures this time but have to admit it was great just chilling out.

Again, the Ram did great as a road-trip vehicle with plenty of power for passing slower vehicles on the uphill runs. This time, I averaged 16 mpg by end of the trip which I thought was pretty decent given the amount of mountain driving there and back with speeds ranging between 65-80 mph. Had I been able to trail some, I am sure the mileage would have been lower. The big Yokohama Geolander G003 MTs were very quiet and the B2 Fab exhaust had absolutely no drone to it; overall, a very quiet and comfortable ride.

Edit: I received some questions about the rear tire in this photo. The rear of the truck is sitting in a slight dip in which the angle is not evident in the photo so giving the illusion that something is really wrong...lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Desert Dawg Beautiful rig! What are your thoughts, in terms of ride quality, between the Falcon and Fabtech setups? I just picked up a 2021 Rebel and the oem ride quality is so good. I want to do a little lift, but don't want my ride quality to suffer.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
@Desert Dawg Beautiful rig! What are your thoughts, in terms of ride quality, between the Falcon and Fabtech setups? I just picked up a 2021 Rebel and the oem ride quality is so good. I want to do a little lift, but don't want my ride quality to suffer.
Thanks!

After trying out (2) different aftermarket systems on the Rebel, I will attest to the fact that nothing beats the factory Bilstein setup in terms of ride quality. If In fact, if ride quality is the #1 consideration, I would leave the truck alone including the original Duratrac tires which are perfectly sized for the Bilstein-tuned system.

Regarding the Falcon system, I was initially not happy with the ride quality but after a couple days the shocks really settled in and the ride quality became very, very good, almost matching the factory setup but with even better on-road feel and performance over larger impacts. The disappointment for me was that the system only netted just over an inch of actual lift for the Rebel and so I could not get the stance and clearance/off-road performance I really wanted.

I feel that the Fabtech/Dirt Logic ride quality is just as good as my previous King, Icon, or Fox coil-over setups as all of those provided very nice ride comfort and control but none as good as the Falcon system (but they are all close). Despite having a more robust off-road package with the Dirt Logics, I still get comments about how smooth the truck rides and for sure when I tackle larger obstacles.

If I had to rate the different systems I had on the Rebel, and generally with other systems, I would do so as:

Ride Quality: #1 - Factory Bilstein; #2 - Falcon; #3 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); and all other systems such as leveling systems and drop bracket lifts far below these top 3 ratings.

On-Road Performance: #1 - Falcon (improved on-road control and higher speed rebound performance over bumps/ruts); #2 Factory Bilstein; #3 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (actually, have improved turn-in feel/control than factory but the larger tire's reduced grip detract on higher speed curves, even better performance over rough roads, but slightly less smooth than the Falcon system); and then followed by leveling kits (reduced undulation), followed way behind by drop bracket lifts (due to increased center of gravity).

Off-road Performance: #1 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); #2 - Falcon; #3 Factory Bilstein; followed by drop bracket lifts due to increased center of gravity and more stress on components, and then followed by leveling kits (which actually reduce factory shock performance).

Modification/Stance Potential: #1 - Drop bracket kits (up to 4-inches IMHO for above reasons); #2 Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); #3 - Falcon; followed by leveling systems and then the factory setup.

If you are planning on keeping your tires under 34-inches and don't want too aggressive of a wheel offset, but want slightly more road control and off-road performance, I would opt for the Falcon system as that also provides close to factory ride comfort. In addition, if you only want a slight lift, the better value is also the Falcon system. (If your Rebel is a total street queen, then the better value for obtaining a small lift would actually be a quality leveling system but your on-road ride quality will suffer some).

If you want better off-road performance and potential for a slightly more aggressive stance but still great on-road control/comfort, then the Fabtech/Dirt Logic system or other quality coil-over system is the way to go (with the Fabtech/Dirt Logic setup providing the most lift potential of all of them).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

After trying out (2) different aftermarket systems on the Rebel, I will attest to the fact that nothing beats the factory Bilstein setup in terms of ride quality. If In fact, if ride quality is the #1 consideration, I would leave the truck alone including the original Duratrac tires which are perfectly sized for the Bilstein-tuned system.

Regarding the Falcon system, I was initially not happy with the ride quality but after a couple days the shocks really settled in and the ride quality became very, very good, almost matching the factory setup but with even better on-road feel and performance over larger impacts. The disappointment for me was that the system only netted just over an inch of actual lift for the Rebel and so I could not get the stance and clearance/off-road performance I really wanted.

I feel that the Fabtech/Dirt Logic ride quality is just as good as my previous King, Icon, or Fox coil-over setups as all of those provided very nice ride comfort and control but none as good as the Falcon system (but they are all close). Despite having a more robust off-road package with the Dirt Logics, I still get comments about how smooth the truck rides and for sure when I tackle larger obstacles.

If I had to rate the different systems I had on the Rebel, and generally with other systems, I would do so as:

Ride Quality: #1 - Factory Bilstein; #2 - Falcon; #3 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); and all other systems such as leveling systems and drop bracket lifts far below these top 3 ratings.

On-Road Performance: #1 - Falcon (improved on-road control and higher speed rebound performance over bumps/ruts); #2 Factory Bilstein; #3 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (actually, have improved turn-in feel/control than factory but the larger tire's reduced grip detract on higher speed curves, even better performance over rough roads, but slightly less smooth than the Falcon system); and then followed by leveling kits (reduced undulation), followed way behind by drop bracket lifts (due to increased center of gravity).

Off-road Performance: #1 - Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); #2 - Falcon; #3 Factory Bilstein; followed by drop bracket lifts due to increased center of gravity and more stress on components, and then followed by leveling kits (which actually reduce factory shock performance).

Modification/Stance Potential: #1 - Drop bracket kits (up to 4-inches IMHO for above reasons); #2 Fabtech/Dirt Logic (along with other coil-over systems such as King, Fox, Icon); #3 - Falcon; followed by leveling systems and then the factory setup.

If you are planning on keeping your tires under 34-inches and don't want too aggressive of a wheel offset, but want slightly more road control and off-road performance, I would opt for the Falcon system as that also provides close to factory ride comfort. In addition, if you only want a slight lift, the better value is also the Falcon system. (If your Rebel is a total street queen, then the better value for obtaining a small lift would actually be a quality leveling system but your on-road ride quality will suffer some).

If you want better off-road performance and potential for a slightly more aggressive stance but still great on-road control/comfort, then the Fabtech/Dirt Logic system or other quality coil-over system is the way to go (with the Fabtech/Dirt Logic setup providing the most lift potential of all of them).
Thanks for such a detailed write up. So much good information. I’m coming from a 4Runner with King coil-overs, so I’m very accustomed to that type of ride. I also had Cooper Stt Pros and I’m not going back down that route again as it really made the ride a lot more rough on the highway.

I’m definitely wanting a more aggressive stance, so I’ll probably go with either the Fabtech setup or I may wait for Carli to release their performance setup sometime at the end of the year.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks for such a detailed write up. So much good information. I’m coming from a 4Runner with King coil-overs, so I’m very accustomed to that type of ride. I also had Cooper Stt Pros and I’m not going back down that route again as it really made the ride a lot more rough on the highway.

I’m definitely wanting a more aggressive stance, so I’ll probably go with either the Fabtech setup or I may wait for Carli to release their performance setup sometime at the end of the year.

Glad you like the thread. So far, my setup has been proving itself out (more below)!

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Rio Puerco Desert Run #1

So my brother and I decided on an impromptu romp out in the Rio Puerco west of town; me in the Ram Rebel with my kid and he in his nicely spec'd out FJ Cruise. I was hoping to have another friend join us in his brand new Rebel too but the timing was bad so ended up just being our two vehicles. The Rio Puerco is a favorite spot as it is relatively close to home and has a wide range of trail options (you can literally spend all day and not come close to hitting them all). There are tons of very long and high hill runs with deep sand, hard packed whoop-de-loops for the aeronauts, and various sand dunes you can race up.

I was very interested to see how the Rebel performed on faster desert runs than the slower mountain trails I took it on a few months ago. The Rebel did great as the Fabtech Dirt Logic coil-overs soaked up the washboard dirt roads and small ruts without any drama; at up to 60 mph, the truck remained smooth and very stable without any sideway motion (certainly felt very capable if I wanted to go faster). And once we got to the dunes, the Ram had lots of power to plow through while the new Geolanders did a fantastic job keeping the rig on top of the soft, loose sand.

It was a picture perfect day and the only real issue was that there were too many people out and about with motorcycles and ATVs running amok so had to be really on alert as there are tons of curves and hills to traverse. But everyone seemed attentive and all had a safe fun time.

Getting through the first leg:

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
After romping over the whoop-de -loos (of which can cause some serious air if not careful), we headed for the dunes:

I did manage to drop my front end pretty hard going over a hard rock shelf I didn't see in time. Luckily, I had just enough clearance with the 3-inch lift and taller tires to avoid any damage on the left side (so the AMP power steps still good).

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Anyway, we continued up to the dunes where we spent some time goofing around.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Looks like a fun outing.
Yeah, it is a great place to go for a quick romp and to test out the setup. Based on how it performed, I am anxious to dial in the front with a better front UCA and redo the entire rear setup, but overall the current Fabtech/Dirt Logic system did really well.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts