Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just traded a 2016 Tacoma I bought last June for a 2017 Ram. For me the Tacoma was too small for my likes. Thought I could get use to it but didn't. The transmission was slipping between 3 and 4th but was fixed by a TSB from Toyota. The auto transmission clunks into 1st when stopping. No fix for that yet. Got 17 mpg around town. Got 20 mpg doing 70 on an 8 hr trip. When I test drove my new Ram Rebel with the Hemi and 8 speed auto I giggled like a little girl on the inside. What a difference! Very happy.
If your concerned with mpg and don't need room, etc, go with the Tacoma. If not so much go with Ram. It's more capable and technology advanced.
Dane

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I test drove a Tacoma while looking at Rams, before the Rebel was available. I'm big, 6'6" 240 big. I didn't like the Nissan at all. The Tacoma wasn't much better, plus I don't much care for Toyota in general. Not enough head and shoulder room, especially. Plus it just doesn't have the feel of power I expect in a truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are gas conscious I would not consider a Rebel, at least not a 5.7l. Best I get after 8000 miles is around 15mpg. I got 18mpg on my 5.7l Laramie 2x4. However I did not buy this Rebel to skimp on gas. In fact I did 30 miles in heavy loose beach sand and burned gas from full to half .. but who cares.

So Rebel = more power, more size, more gas and air suspension. Obviously for considerable more $$.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually started out shopping for a Tacoma, having owned a 1999 Tacoma and still have a 2005 4Runner. Both were/are incredibly reliable. I was so convinced I was going to buy another Tacoma that I had already identified all the parts I needed to lift it and put bigger tires on it. But I took the new V6 Tacoma (MSRP $37k) for a test drive and came away underwhelmed. Acceleration was not immediately response, shifting wasn't that smooth, and the interior was nice but only when compared to my 2005 4Runner. But hey, it's a truck right? At least that's what I initially told myself. Even after the lackluster test drive, my plan was to come back to the Toyota dealer at the end of December and get the best deal I could. But being somebody that has to research everything before making a huge purchase, I decided to at least look at other trucks. I didn't like the appearance of any of the other midsize options and ruled them out. I loved the look of the Rebel though. Factory lift, aggressive tires, and just a generally rugged look. But damn, the MSRP of the Rebels were all over $50k! I couldn't justify that when I started shopping for trucks in the mid $30's. Then I started seeing the deals being advertised and decided to at least test drive it. The test drive in the Rebel was WORLDS better than the Tacoma test drive. (And here's where some may mock me... the Rebels I test drove and eventually bought were V6's.). But despite just being V6, the Rebel accelerated immediately and with more force than the much lighter V6 Tacoma. The ride was smoother and quieter, and the interior is in a different league compared to the Tacoma in terms of size and finish quality. The wife (present for both test drives) became Rebel's #1 fan. So at the end of December, I went to the Ram dealer instead and was able to get $11k off a 2017 (MSRP of $52k). In the end, it was not much of a jump up and had a lot more features (Nav sys, heated seats, parking sensors). It's my daily driver, and I'm getting about 19 MPG. My 4Runner gets about 20.5 MPG doing the same driving. I'm a convert and glad I expanded my search. Test drive them both and the decision will be easy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was just at the Toyota dealership yesterday ready to trade in my 15 Rebel for a 17 Tacoma Off Road with manual transmission. I couldn't do it, It felt like driving a Prius after owning corvette. The Tacoma just felt cramped and slow. I wish they made more aftermarket goodies for the Rebel, and I wish it had a locking diff stock like the Tacoma OR does, but the Tacoma will never give a rush like the Rebel will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best of both worlds. I have the rebel and the 17 taco OR. The taco is my Dailey driver and the rebel is the wife's kid hauler and the grocery getter. I take the taco fishing with my kayak(much better standard features for OR) coming from a keep renegade the taco or is much better. I like that is closer to the ground for kayak loading too.. and the Tacoma bed cover is the bomb!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.