Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed while driving around a curve that it leans outwards, like I am about to lose control or tip it over. When passing people up it gets really scary cause the Truck seems to tilt one way and I always jerk back to adjust. I feel that it may cause a wreck in the future. Just wondering if anybody else notices this or if there is a fix for it other than changing out the whole suspension.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Only time that happens is usually when you are going too fast or through lack of experience and knowing the limit of the vehicle.
Too many variables for this, how tight is the curve, how severe is your overtake, i can't see any reason why overtaking someone would cause the truck to tilt?
What ride setting are you in as that will have an effect on the handling too

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have driven dozens of different light trucks over more than 35 years, and my Rebel handles at least as well as the best of them. These are trucks, not sports cars, so if you feel your truck is about to "tip over" when cornering, you are driving far too fast. Slow down.

I can't imagine ride settings will make any significant difference either, at speed you only have the choice between aero and normal - about a 1" change in ride height. No one should be driving so fast on the street that they are on the ragged edge where this tiny difference in height could help. Perhaps on a race track aero would be a bit better, but it seems silly to me that anyone would want to run an off-road oriented pickup truck around an asphalt track other than for a joke.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm old enough that I've retired twice, the first time from the military. I've never, ever rolled a truck. Gotta agree with the other guys here, if you're tipping and swaying around, you're trying to turn too tightly for your speed. If you're tilting the truck when passing people you're changing lanes way way way too quickly. I don't want to be near you on the road when you're doing that, don't even want to be a witness from a long way away.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nope... Love the handling of the Rebel at all speeds so far. Haven't had any concern so far. Coming from the lifted Jeep arena the Rebel handles like a minivan LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Coming from the lifted Jeep arena the Rebel handles like a minivan LOL
Same here. Going from a 4.5" lift and running 35" tires to the Rebel made me realize that you don't have to think about rolling over every time you drive and take a sharp turn.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Nope... Love the handling of the Rebel at all speeds so far. Haven't had any concern so far. Coming from the lifted Jeep arena the Rebel handles like a minivan LOL
As it should. The Rebel's a 5400 lb full sized truck. The Rubicon is 3800 lbs. If you added 1600 lbs to the Rubicon, it would feel more unstable than the Rebel because of the shorter wheelbase. And roll tendency would be closer to the same, depending on CG and suspension differences.
I feel the same difference from my jeeps. (First one I ever drove was a Willys on active duty!) The Rebel does handle really well for being a large truck.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Only ever owned trucks and of all the 4 wheel drives I have owned this one handles the best

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've felt what he's talking about...and this isn't my first ride around the sun either. When turning at highway speeds, and especially when accelerating around someone to pass them, you can feel the center of gravity shift to the outside. These are everyday moves if you're not driving interstates. I wouldn't say it feels like it's going to tip, but it was unnerving at first and still catches me off guard sometimes. Taller tires and a different suspension handles and feels differently.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gotta agree with Southern_Rebel and lambeau, it's a strange roll to the direction of the initial movement. I drive up and down a well known Utah canyon (Parleys for those in the area), and those familiar with the drive know you do a lot of passing. Speeding or not, I feel it most times I pass. Seems to do it in both aero and normal driving modes.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Common thread: you all notice it when you're passing. I've passed a bunch of people and haven't noticed anything unexpected. Coincidence: Maybe you all have serious suspension problems. Or maybe you're all just swerving too fast for the speed. Normal mode is Offroad-1 in other Rams, a bit higher. Or maybe you're all driving too fast.. Dunno. But it ain't happening here in my Reb.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've had no issues. If I was having what y'all are describing my truck would be in the shop or I'd learn to back my foot off the accelerator

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the people who experience this should post what they used to drive before the Rebel to see if it is just the fact they have started driving a lifted full size truck vs a mini-van/car. Any truck/SUV that is tall has a higher centre of gravity and will feel different to people who are used to sitting closer to the road. The air suspension and 17" rims with 33" tires will add to that feeling as well. The large sidewall flexes a lot and takes some getting used to.

I used to drive heavy equipment and tractor-trailer/dump trucks. Rock trucks were the best ones for feeling like they are moving all over the place due to large tires on relatively small rims and high centre of gravity.

I don't think you are crazy. I've know many people who weren't used to driving a full sized truck with large sidewalls who felt the truck was too bouncy to be safe. This is just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think the people who experience this should post what they used to drive before the Rebel to see if it is just the fact they have started driving a lifted full size truck vs a mini-van/car. Any truck/SUV that is tall has a higher centre of gravity and will feel different to people who are used to sitting closer to the road. The air suspension and 17" rims with 33" tires will add to that feeling as well. The large sidewall flexes a lot and takes some getting used to.

I used to drive heavy equipment and tractor-trailer/dump trucks. Rock trucks were the best ones for feeling like they are moving all over the place due to large tires on relatively small rims and high centre of gravity.

I don't think you are crazy. I've know many people who weren't used to driving a full sized truck with large sidewalls who felt the truck was too bouncy to be safe. This is just my $0.02.
Very good point. My previous ram had a wider stance with my aftermarket tires and rims but I've driven a truck my whole life so nothing feels out of odds to me ...just know the difference between various heights and stances

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Try driving a 3500 with a tank of water in the bed. Especially if the tank has any air in it. Water (or any liquid) is heavy, not as bad as rock, but it shifts like crazy if there is any appreciable space for it to slosh around. Multiply the effect of an unbaffled fuel tank x 1000...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Try driving a 3500 with a tank of water in the bed. Especially if the tank has any air in it. Water (or any liquid) is heavy, not as bad as rock, but it shifts like crazy if there is any appreciable space for it to slosh around. Multiply the effect of an unbaffled fuel tank x 1000...
Like have a 500 lb boulder rolling side to side is it?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yeah, but 300 gallons is more like a 2,500 lb boulder. I actually saw a guy roll a 2.5 ton stakebed on its side doing this with a 500 gallon tank. And there's no such thing as an emergency stop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Does a tractor-trailer sized unbaffled tanker half full of benzine count? :p

A couple decades ago that was my first experience with an unbaffled tanker. I shifted ever so smooth. I was so impressed with myself. Stopped at a red light and moved another 15 feet after about 3 seconds. :eek:

Liquid is the most unstable load I can think of and I've had a few.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, but 300 gallons is more like a 2,500 lb boulder. I actually saw a guy roll a 2.5 ton stakebed on its side doing this with a 500 gallon tank. And there's no such thing as an emergency stop.
True that

1 - 20 of 34 Posts